Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I need a retirement city that has good hospitals and services for people over 55 years old. Now I go too a eye doctor for treatments for low vision at St. Thomas hospital in Nashville. Needs also a low cost of living if possible which I know is hard too find any more.

At one time Spring Hill Tennesseel had no property taxes?
Spring Hill is getting a lot of spillover growth from people who can't afford Franklin/don't need to commute to Nashville daily, but still want to be in Williamson County. It has property taxes, but they are pretty low. Spring Hill is going to get a lot of white collar growth as Williamson County keeps growing. If it's working class, it probably won't remain so for too many more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Maybe I haven't traveled enough but it seems to that not many places are strictly "working class". Most places we go are obviously a combination of various socio-economic classes. We live in a pretty ritzy area, and there are quite a few "blue collar" workers here, many of them make well over 100K.

I'm not that concerned with how people make their living. I'm sure we can find commonalities with most people. When looking at neighborhoods and such I am more concerned with lifestyle, no I don't like broke down cars in the yard, but I also don't like neighbors who will be judging what year our car is.

At $1,000 per water heater replacement, it's pretty easy for a plumber in an affluent town to net 6 figures. Where I live, there are several electricians with really nice yachts in the harbor. The electrician who wired my house is in a boat slip a couple down from where I used to keep my boat before I put it on a mooring. There are lots of upper middle class licensed trade people around me. Most of them have employees and run a small business.

At least in New England, it's highly socioeconomically segregated. Affluent people cluster in towns with expensive housing and preserve the price via zoning. If you don't allow multi-dwelling units and you have minimum lot size, frontage, and setback requirements, it's not possible to build lower cost housing. The only "acceptable" high density housing is senior housing since it doesn't put the demon spawn of the unwashed masses in the public school system.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At $1,000 per water heater replacement, it's pretty easy for a plumber in an affluent town to net 6 figures. Where I live, there are several electricians with really nice yachts in the harbor. The electrician who wired my house is in a boat slip a couple down from where I used to keep my boat before I put it on a mooring. There are lots of upper middle class licensed trade people around me. Most of them have employees and run a small business.

At least in New England, it's highly socioeconomically segregated. Affluent people cluster in towns with expensive housing and preserve the price via zoning. If you don't allow multi-dwelling units and you have minimum lot size, frontage, and setback requirements, it's not possible to build lower cost housing. The only "acceptable" high density housing is senior housing since it doesn't put the demon spawn of the unwashed masses in the public school system.
Plumbers who own their business are small business men.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Plumbers who own their business are small business men.
AND blue collar workers, they are not mutually exclusive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2019, 10:02 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
If you are retiring in your fifties, I see the attraction of a larger home on acreage, although you will have to downsize as you continue to age. If you are retiring in your sixties, I want to caution you that age slows us down, and aging happens to all of us. My advice is to buy smaller, travel when you are newly retired, and live where you can afford to.

It is much easier to maintain a smaller place, especially if you travel a lot, than it is a large place. It is expensive to move. Imagine moving to a large place with acreage all around, and then having to move ten years later because it costs too much in effort and expense to maintain.

Most of us retain vigor throughout our sixties. But we start to slow down in our seventies. If there are underlying health problems, then this process accelerates.

Whatever you do, travel when you are relatively young.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Sure and that’s why this discussion is searching for boundaries and definitions. The plumber who owns his business in Roanoke can be very different than the one who owns and lives in Reston Virginia or in the case of the OP Bethesda.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sure and that’s why this discussion is searching for boundaries and definitions. The plumber who owns his business in Roanoke can be very different than the one who owns and lives in Reston Virginia or in the case of the OP Bethesda.

But that's kinda my point, I don't see how these "boundaries and definitions" really matter, or apply for that matter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I noticed some New England people are stuck up. When I was accepted to a MS at one of my colleges roommates and their boyfriends college, they speculated I was attending extension school. The school was too good for me. Bunch of spoiled rich kids, I must say, because I did graduate within one year. It was a piece of cake.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Yeah. DH designed and built solar installations. What would you label him?

My ex and I owned and operated a printing co. Working with the ole hands AND brain.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
But that's kinda my point, I don't see how these "boundaries and definitions" really matter, or apply for that matter.
On a broad general basis I fully agree. This thread started out about Bethesda v Roanoke and the specifics differences in those places. When the topic widened it became .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement