Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:13 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Probably when people who make a lot of money wanted to see themselves as "Special". It goes something like this: Hey man WE WORK hard for our money.... but ehhh... real work... as in actually working... that's for people who don't make as much money as I do. And sweat. Hence the term "working class" to distinguish between those who are proud of their paychecks and those who should feel ashamed for needing to work. Or as Chris Matthews once put it: "The difference between the people who shower before they go to work and the people who shower when they get off work."

There's another retiree board I read. The well-moneied 7 and 8 figure 401K people who post there call themselves "High income producers." Not workers. That would also imply it's not easy for them. They are "producers." Show up and what... pull it out of a hat? Conjure it up by force of will? Whatever it is they do not like calling themselves workers unless of course someone implies they do not work as hard as someone with a hard dirty dangerous job.
I see this too. What a bunch of crap. People that think because they make a few bucks an hour more than someone else, they are no longer working class.
There's a quote from the movie Gone with the Wind. It goes something like this. "You can call a mule a horse but it's still a mule".

Last edited by marino760; 08-01-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:27 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, where I come from suburban is working class. People leave their homes early in the morning to commute to work in various jobs. They work. I assume you also worked when you were living in the leafy suburban area you found to be a much higher quality of life, making you one of the local working class.
When did people living in suburbs stop being working class?
The working class town I'm in trends working poor to middle class. Very blue collar. Low college graduation rate. Not many white collar professional jobs. Mostly white and little diversity. Trumpland.

The suburban towns I was in basically flipped everything but the politics.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The working class town I'm in trends working poor to middle class. Very blue collar. Low college graduation rate. Not many white collar professional jobs. Mostly white and little diversity. Trumpland.

The suburban towns I was in basically flipped everything but the politics.
Both towns are working class. One has a higher average income than the other. Just because someone puts on a white shirt in the morning before leaving the house, it doesn't make them wealthy, privileged or special. Skin color also doesn't fit into the narrative and why you would bring it up is beyond me.
BTW, I'm pretty sure the guy who drives the garbage truck in my city probably makes a lot more money than the teller at the local bank wearing a white shirt. The guy driving the trash truck also gets a nice pension.

Last edited by marino760; 08-01-2019 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 01:51 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
BTW, I'm pretty sure they guy who drives the garbage truck in my city probably makes more money than the teller at the local bank wearing a white shirt.

Boy have you got that right. And the garbage truck driver probably has better benefits too, if he's union and/or works directly for the Town or City government.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:56 PM

27 posts, read 19,866 times
Quote:
Both towns are working class. One has a higher average income than the other. Just because someone puts on a white shirt in the morning before leaving the house, it doesn't make them wealthy, privileged or special. Skin color also doesn't fit into the narrative and why you would bring it up is beyond me.
BTW, I'm pretty sure the guy who drives the garbage truck in my city probably makes a lot more money than the teller at the local bank wearing a white shirt. The guy driving the trash truck also gets a nice pension.
I never said the people in working-class towns were bad. In fact, I respect the hard physical work they dod and how down to earth they are. But a town that is wealthy and full of college-educated professionals have a different vibe. Opera and fine dining vs Nascar. French Food and Saks Firth Avenue vs Burger King and Walmart. You get the idea!

Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions and Comments View Post
I never said the people in working-class towns were bad. In fact, I respect the hard physical work they dod and how down to earth they are. But a town that is wealthy and full of college-educated professionals have a different vibe. Opera and fine dining vs Nascar. French Food and Saks Firth Avenue vs Burger King and Walmart. You get the idea!
Nothing against your original post. It's another poster who puts on a white shirt, lives in a small town in TN and doesn't think he's a working class person that irked me. Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Skin color also doesn't fit into the narrative and why you would bring it up is beyond me.
Oh, I dont know, maybe because it's true?

Old 08-01-2019, 02:01 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
One of the many things I have learned since I started reading posts on City-Data is that some people (not many, but some) take offense even when no offense is meant. Try not to let it bother you.

(This comment isn't directed to any one person, but is just a general observation.)

Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Twice the home means nothing. Quality outweighs quantity. Unconventionally large lots put distance between neighbors. No community. Less socializing. Sounds depressing.

It's nice to hear neighborhood kids having fun.

The only good point is downsizing and making extra cash available for other things.

It's also nice to have a variety of amenities: shopping, medical, entertainment, public squares, stimulation, people watching.

Finally, living near kids and grand kids trumps everything else. Then comes climate.

They currently live in a cramped townhouse. A smaller SFH on a decent sized lot would be a breath of fresh air compared to a TH in Bethesda.

OP, figure out how much you use the amenities around you now, which ones are most important to you now and then find a place that has those same amenities.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Make sure you spend some time at your target area before you take the plunge.

People move out here to the "country" and then complain that there isn't a coffee shop, Whole Foods is too far etc.

They don't like the city services, the police, the internet service.

That is a big one around here - internet. They don't scope out the services for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement