Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:15 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's one of my big things - a lack of property maintenance.
That cuts across all classes. The worst-maintained house and yard in my neighborhood belongs to a doctor who was unfortunately seriously injured in an auto accident years ago and apparently no longer works for a living or has the means to hire out the work. It's gotten so bad that the fire department has it classified as one where if it's in fire they rescue the guy and protect the adjacent homes. That's it. (HOA Board Chair is retired fire chief.) The house next to me is owned by an architect whose DIY deck repair has been ongoing for 4 years. (Yes, that's a violation of restrictions.) One house recently sold to our relief- it was starting to look junky outside and the owner, who'd been through a divorce and BK, wasn't maintaining it. None of these owners belonged to an ethnic group or "class" that might be stereotyped as sloppy or lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
If you stay in Maryland and venture beyond the Beltway there are still some some beautiful affordable neighborhoods in Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown. and Clarksburg. I myself have a spacious 3 br 2/2 bath garage 3 storey townhouse, 2400 plus SF, with front and back yards, fabulous pool and tennis complex, well maintained neighborhood ,HO fee only $91 month. Worth about 425K+. If it was in a close in suburb would be worth way more. All the stores you need are out here and beautiful parks. I can go kayaking on a lake 5 mins from my house. I'm sure there are plenty of "Everyday Millionaires" out here.
^^^^This..I would even say as far as Frederick, which of course has become a bedroom community of the DC suburbs.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:49 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Most of CA's population growth is births. Otherwise net immigration is pretty low compared to previously.
Oh, I hear birth rates are way down overall. You've been talking about moving, getting closer to that move?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:53 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Retirees are moving to Nevada from California to release the equity from their homes. They end up with a nicer house that’s much cheaper and they have money in the bank. Some people in the trades make more money than people with advanced college degrees depending on the field. Ask me how I know ((:

There are at least 2 ways to make decent money in skilled trades:

1 Get a union job. Union will take care of you, at least to some extent.

2 Be entrepreneurial. Start as a worker bee, eventually start your own business. This is harder than the first option, but it can make effectively an unlimited amount of money. It is more work and some of the work is in business management, not every skilled craftsman wants to or can take this route.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:04 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, I hear birth rates are way down overall. You've been talking about moving, getting closer to that move?

Yes, going away party tomorrow. Then painting and cleaning, and house should go on the market in a couple months.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Presumably you refer to the U of Maryland? Please consider that as a dispositive factor, meaning, that there's overwhelming benefit to settling in a university-town.

The meaning of “working class†is its own debate (literally – there’s a long-running thread on another subforum). But presumably in present context, "working class" refers to commoditized manual labor that's done by people lacking extensive formal education.

But the more pertinent issue is one of culture, rather than vocation. To give this an unavoidably (but usefully) snobbish tincture, here's a litmus test: is the radio-station in your car primarily tuned to the local classical music station? If so, that's indicative of being non-working-class... even if the driver is heading to a construction-site, and the vehicle is a F-250 4x4.

By my reckoning, the DC-Boston corridor ends, and "the Heartland" begins, in Frederick. There, and westward, one finds Appalachia, and thenceforth the Midwest.

This depends of course on the meaning of “conservative†vs. “liberalâ€, as well as “working classâ€. The aforementioned retirees might be secular, perhaps divorced and living as boyfriend/girlfriend instead of remarrying, and might take a “liberal†stance on the social wedge issues that have dominated the American political debate for 40 years. But they are “conservative†in the sense of the US Chamber of Commerce. The stock market matters to them, far more than does the price of a gallon of gas, or a gallon of milk, or the cost of child-care. Low taxes, especially on capital gains, matter far more than housing-prices.

Much of this litany (except for the penultimate sentence) refers to iconoclastic behavior, where the persons in question disregard expectations of the sort of lifestyle that's say expected in a suburban HOA. But what of "class"? If the fellow working on the car in the driveway is swearing in French or German, whenever his wrench slips and his knuckles hit a metal protuberance, that complicates the picture, doesn't it?

It has also been my experience, that a certain kind of "blue collar" person takes inordinate pride in having a tidy house, with a manicured yard, and a spotless driveway with late-model high-end vehicles. I find this sort of thrall of materialism to be... nauseating.

My own definition of “blue collar†or “working class†is a locale where the overwhelming majority of denizens have experience limited to the United States…. birthplace, language(s), culture, travel, world-view. For its antithesis, I refer shopping-centers and storefronts where the signs frequently don’t use Latin script, and instead feature Farsi, Korean, Armenian, Greek, Hebrew, Ethiopian and of course (my personal favorite) Russian. It doesn’t particularly matter to me, that the proprietors dropped out of 6th grade, or that most of the customers are cab-drivers, janitors, nannies, landscapers or carpenters.. I’m just tired of the unvariegated monotony of ‘Murika… Maybe the guy hawking oranges at the corner-stand was a medical doctor in Lebanon or Croatia or whatever, but he can't practice in the US, because of the labyrinthine requirements of the American medical cartel. But one of his sons is a physicist at CERN, and another is a philosophy professor at the Sorbonne. When they come to visit, several cars get stacked in the front yard, as the family converges... mostly old Toyotas that leak oil.

You could have written this about me, one of my fraternity brothers classified me as a "progressive redneck" about 40 years ago, and I think it still holds. Pistol in my pocket, but Birkenstocks on my feet. Radio in the quite old and somewhat disheveled looking Cougar is always on NPR. Strongly libertarian, very much pro-choice about everything, so long as force and/or fraud are off the table - free non-felon adults are sovereign beings and should run their own affairs as they wish with no interference. My point in regards to the OP is that at least some working class/farm areas, not dense enough to be called a town really, can not be characterized as the New York Times would like to characterize them - as a bunch of Bible thumping, redneck boobs with very limited intellectual horizons.

And where we live out in the country, many neighbors are the same. Guy we buy eggs from, is a higher-end Mexican Spanish/English interpreter, very bright guy, says he speaks about 5 dialects of Mexican Spanish. But looking at his house, you would not particularly think an intellectual lives there.

And to me there is nothing wrong with working on a car for maybe weeks on end in your driveway, here in the summer the weather and long days is conducive to it. If you are that worried about what your neighbor is doing, you guys live too close! If I see a hood up at the neighbor's place, my only concern is if he needs or wants help from me. And, yeah, when I am working on my car and bust my knuckles, I do swear in Russian.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
A word of caution about moving from Bethesda to a working class community like Roanoke.

You will not be working and others will be. Your retirement is something that may be out of their reach or out of their parents reach. Will they make assumptions because you are from Bethesda. Hopefully you are not a govt employee with a hated pension.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A word of caution about moving from Bethesda to a working class community like Roanoke.

You will not be working and others will be. Your retirement is something that may be out of their reach or out of their parents reach. Will they make assumptions because you are from Bethesda. Hopefully you are not a govt employee with a hated pension.

Good point. If you go that route, just be standoffish and don't tell people you are retired. You are close enough to Langley that you can just hint "I can't talk about it" and maybe people will think you are CIA.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:

Roanoke isn't that much of a s---hole, is it?

Old 08-02-2019, 04:31 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

Absolutely.

Some of the pensions on here are utterly mind-blowing, and would be in top 10% or better of people in a place like Roanoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement