U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,690,110 times

Advertisements

Sad story on many fronts, but also baffling on others. Per information in the article and included statements from his wife, the deceased was a Retired Financial Planner, yet had no burial insurance/pre-paid final arrangements, had minimal savings, and his wife does not qualify for any of his benefits.

So either he failed to develop a survivorship plan for his spouse, or he failed to tell her there was a plan and what it included.

Sad story regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 AM

13,592 posts, read 6,475,362 times
What article?

Old 08-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What article?
Sorry.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...fe/1875582001/

Old 08-01-2019, 11:57 AM

13,592 posts, read 6,475,362 times
Where do you get that he is a retired financial planner? I think his wife will get survivors benefit.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:04 PM

24,187 posts, read 8,456,688 times
My first reaction another insane shooting.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Where do you get that he is a retired financial planner? I think his wife will get survivors benefit.

I had difficulty finding the same article that I read this morning. In the article I first read it stated:
  • he was a retired financial planner,
  • his wife had no money to pay for his cremation,
  • $5K had been donated toward funeral expenses via a Go fund Me account,
  • his wife had no idea what Go Fund Me was,
  • his wife claimed she no longer qualified for any of his benefits
The same story I first read is below:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-52nd-n1037246.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM

24,187 posts, read 8,456,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I had difficulty finding the same article that I read this morning. In the article I first read it stated:
  • he was a retired financial planner,
  • his wife had no money to pay for his cremation,
  • $5K had been donated toward funeral expenses via a Go fund Me account,
  • his wife had no idea what Go Fund Me was,
  • his wife claimed she no longer qualified for any of his benefits
The same story I first read is below:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-52nd-n1037246.
Sounds rather strange to know so little or nothing about a person one is married to for 52 yrs,

Old 08-01-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sounds rather strange to know so little or nothing about a person one is married to for 52 yrs,

Agreed. But there is a subset of the population in which the wives do not take any interest in the household finances and the husbands do not share this info. I have known co-workers in marriages like this. Their wives do not even drive - and in Michigan there is nearly zero public transportation! I strongly suspected the wife in one couple could not read, yet the husbands are educated people!

My wife and I met in Engineering School. I couldn't tolerate a marriage in which intelligent debate and discussion is missing.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:22 PM

7,926 posts, read 4,858,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Sad story on many fronts, but also baffling on others. Per information in the article and included statements from his wife, the deceased was a Retired Financial Planner, yet had no burial insurance/pre-paid final arrangements, had minimal savings, and his wife does not qualify for any of his benefits.

So either he failed to develop a survivorship plan for his spouse, or he failed to tell her there was a plan and what it included.

Sad story regardless.
Mr. Treadwell was on SSI. Welfare. I guess you must be allowed to supplement your SSI income by picking up odd jobs like Lyft. To wit:

You can begin to work and continue to receive SSI benefits as long as your wages and other resources do not exceed the SSA's income limit for SSI; however, your monthly benefit amount will be reduced in proportion to your income.
In general, the income limit for SSI is the federal benefit rate (FBR), which is $771 per month for an individual and $1,157 per month for a couple in 2019.

So their combined SSI/work income would have been capped at $1,157/month.

I don't understand how a 71 year old man ends up on SSI instead of Social Security, unless he was a self-employed financial planner and worked under the table, thus never made the employer/employee contributions to Social Security. Can anyone else come up with an alternate scenario, other than he simply didn't have 40 quarters yet?

I am sorry for Mrs. Treadwell. I think we are going to see more of this, meaning people who evaded the system and thus cannot benefit from the system. Makes life harder on their surviving loved ones.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 08-01-2019 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 03:25 PM

1,419 posts, read 314,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My first reaction another insane shooting.
It was random, it appears - and it in no way reflects Lyft or Uber - those jobs do have hazards - but this is someone taking a pot shot from outside at a passing car. Lyft probably doesn't appreciate the negative publicity. This could have happened to anyone of us driving down a road or interstate.

He was working on their anniversary. I think he was trying to earn money for a trip or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement