U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:45 PM

522 posts, read 312,913 times

Advertisements

I was not afraid to retire. I had always been afraid of having to keep working if I didn't play my cards right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 PM

3,196 posts, read 6,973,430 times
I retired at 55 and had a tiny bit of fear as an early retiree, but not enough to convince me to keep on in a career I loathed. The worst decision is not making one. If you want to retiree and believe you have the means to do it, take the risk. In life, we usually regret things we did not do, not the things we did.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:33 PM

56,521 posts, read 54,925,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Scared? I sang Zippidie Doo Dah while dancing to my car.

I was ready. As I walked out of the building and toward the train station, I felt as though a thousand pounds had just left my shoulders. I was DONE.

I knew I was going to have to work part-time for a while, but I was leaving my employer after 37 years and would have a pension and not ever again have to get up and schlep more than 90 minutes to work five days a week.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:37 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,795,257 times
If you don't have the financial situation to feel comfortable, it is no wonder you are scared. Do you need to retire way before your FRA?

Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,492,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
In life, we usually regret things we did not do, not the things we did.
Isnít that two sides of the same coin? One could retire, then regret not continuing to work (income/industry) or one could continue to work and then regret not retiring (freedom). With either choice, it is regretting the choice you DID NOT make.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:41 PM

4,682 posts, read 4,519,097 times
Honestly, yes, I was a but scared. I loved the work I did in the national aerospace program and I was giving up a good salary. I retired just shy of two and a half years ago at age 65 1/2.

Everything is unfolding according to plan and all is well.

But I still miss my work. It was a good career.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM

7,370 posts, read 4,227,835 times
Scared?! Not only no, but hell no. I was excited at the prospect of retiring and ecstatic when the day finally came. Five years later, there hasn't been one day when I wished I'd worked longer.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,768 posts, read 40,177,403 times
Were you scared to retire?

Retirement #1 - not scared of retiring, just scared of being caught escaping!
#2, was wonderful
#3 was better than #2
#4 was not pleasant at all (Great job, very exciting / engaging, but tons of manure to deal with 24x7 (bosses on 4 continents calling all hours of night and day)) Bosses knew nothing... but to stir the pot and keep us from working.

Retire early, retire often.

Still waiting for medicare age... hoping I make it.

I can't imagine what a 'double earner retirement' would be like (picnic?).
It ain't ez pulling 150% (of earnings) for 50 + yrs. Then you finally get through all of those years and you have single SS / no HC, (responsibility (salt mines) never ends).

Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM

18,887 posts, read 9,728,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellgee View Post
In a bit over a year I will be 62 and can claim early SS if necessary. I have a small pension where I work, and savings. But it is scary, because I know once I make the leap there is no going back. I can't get the same kind of job with pay, I would not fund the pension and I would not have tax differed savings through the pension. Were you scared to retire?
I'm around your age and had some of the same thoughts but retired last December. So far, our financial position has gotten better without working and I haven't started SS yet. But I won't know for sure if I pulled the plug too soon for years and will have to go through the next market crash to see how well we did. I tried to plan for every eventuality I could think of occurring. Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,768 posts, read 40,177,403 times
The more 'fearful' thing for me was dying at work.

Lost (4) co-workers (at work) the yr I left.

Time to GO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement