U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 03:56 PM

1,838 posts, read 646,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Lordy NO, 40 yrs of working for and taking orders from others, I was so ready...it's been 15 yrs since I've answered to NO ONE. Could have saved more money but it's past and I'll be OK
Same here!

I never liked working and once I was out of it (at age 53) it would take some REALLY DIRE situation to make me even THINK about EVER going back to the workforce. Though I very much doubt I'd be hired even at my current age, let alone any older. I would exhaust EVERY possible alternative before even looking for a Help Wanted ad!

Well, not EVERY possible alternative, to be 100% honest. I would never move into an apartment, condo or any other kind of "shared walls" or "shared with another person/people" living situation. If the choice were truly between that and staying in my own SFH, I would go back to work if it meant keeping the house. But only as an utter last resort, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 PM

3,767 posts, read 962,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellgee View Post
In a bit over a year I will be 62 and can claim early SS if necessary. I have a small pension where I work, and savings. But it is scary, because I know once I make the leap there is no going back. I can't get the same kind of job with pay, I would not fund the pension and I would not have tax differed savings through the pension. Were you scared to retire?
Why are you so eager to leave?

Old 08-02-2019, 04:59 PM

25 posts, read 10,143 times
When I think about quitting and walking away from my present employer, I get a big stupid smile on my face.

However, I have one more financial goal I want to hit, but if I don't hit it within the next 9 months, so be it. I'm not looking at the next stage as retirement since I won't consider myself "RETIRED" until i decide to collect SS.

Scared? No, I've had to live through and deal with scary things in my life. Quitting a mega-corporation that bogs themselves down with self inflicted injuries will be MFPleasure.

Learning to spend money I've spent a lifetime saving will be my greatest foreseen hurdle.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 PM

1,636 posts, read 616,497 times
No, I was not scared and I have no regrets what-so-ever! However, I do miss some of the office people, but am forming and re-kindling friendships from other places.

Last edited by HollyhockGarden; 08-02-2019 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 01:31 AM

310 posts, read 53,199 times
I was not - I retired just after turned 60 about 1.5 years ago. My wife just retired and is worried about short term cash flow / pension start, no worries long term.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 AM

137 posts, read 56,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The more 'fearful' thing for me was dying at work.

This is my answer as well. One coworker had a stroke at work, one went home for the weekend and never came back.

To the OP's question: At a certain point, I was scared not to. My coworkers' misfortunes, and the continued sandpapering of my soul by corporate BS eventually reached a point where I was no longer on the fence. I started the retirement process, giving my boss a good 6 weeks for the transitions, and never looked back. And I never questioned the decision during the entire process. It was time.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 AM

29 posts, read 8,031 times
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more detailed, I am single and will be moving when I retire. So there are a lot of questions. I will be moving near family and the cost of living is a bit more, not less. I will have to sell my current house and buy another or rent. So even though I know my costs here I can only estimate them there. Then the minute I retire I will have to go on COBRA, which is only good for 18 months. So right now I am employed, benefits, pension. Suddenly at retirement I will be unemployed, no more pension contribution, have to buy health insurance, and will be moving. That is a big shift and even though the job is ok it is a dead end at this point. And time marches on, and I get older. If I am going to move and do a big lifestyle change I want to do it sooner rather than later. But it is scary and I am glad I have another year and a half before I am 62. At least I have a bit more time to prepare. I guess I could stay put, but also I am not sure how long my employer wants an old guy like me around. We have a couple of retirements coming up in my department next year and then I will be the oldest one there. But thanks for the replies! It is helpful to hear other peoples concerns and successes in retirement.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
I look at it as an adventure. So far so good.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 AM

256 posts, read 126,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellgee View Post
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more detailed, I am single and will be moving when I retire. So there are a lot of questions. I will be moving near family and the cost of living is a bit more, not less. I will have to sell my current house and buy another or rent. So even though I know my costs here I can only estimate them there. Then the minute I retire I will have to go on COBRA, which is only good for 18 months. So right now I am employed, benefits, pension. Suddenly at retirement I will be unemployed, no more pension contribution, have to buy health insurance, and will be moving. That is a big shift and even though the job is ok it is a dead end at this point. And time marches on, and I get older. If I am going to move and do a big lifestyle change I want to do it sooner rather than later. But it is scary and I am glad I have another year and a half before I am 62. At least I have a bit more time to prepare. I guess I could stay put, but also I am not sure how long my employer wants an old guy like me around. We have a couple of retirements coming up in my department next year and then I will be the oldest one there. But thanks for the replies! It is helpful to hear other peoples concerns and successes in retirement.
All that at one time is enough to give you a heart attack. Why not come up with an alternative "plan" that goes something like this:
  • Two years before you are 65, start prepping the house to put on the market.
  • Eighteen months before, sell the house.
  • Once the house sells, put in your retirement notice.

I chose 18 months for you because of the Cobra issue, but the truth is insurance before you are 65 is going to kill any budget. That's why I waited until I was 65.

In any case, I'd push the retirement date out closer to Medicare and then come up with a plan that consists of actionable steps.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:05 AM

3,680 posts, read 1,619,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I look at it as an adventure. So far so good.
Exaactly! And like an adventure, there are some "scary" parts, or it would not be "adventurous".

Neither of us had jobs with benefits so nothing coercing us to stay---just the opposite. With physical jobs, the choice is often made for you.

We adventured right out of the country....

I will echo "So far, so good."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement