U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,446,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Have you ever watched The Waltons? That was my childhood.
Have you ever watched The Addams Family? That was mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 PM

13,558 posts, read 6,467,210 times
Have you ever watched Jurassic Park, that was mine.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:14 PM

65 posts, read 15,209 times
Looking back much of my childhood was a silver spoon experience. My parents were middle class, but my grandparents were upper class through hard work. The fruits of their labor gave us, the entire family, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends an old farm house on the east end of long islands north fork. 100+ acres, Long Island sound waterfront, old growth oak forest, wild raspberries, and blackberries. Clamming with my toes, crabbing, lobstering, fishing, night skies so clear unlike the NYC smog you could see the shooting stars, and sometime the space fragments that break up across the atmosphere much like a skipped stone. Finding arrowheads in the marsh, the brisk November air as a flock of black ducks land in my decoy spread...... of course my Grandfather taught me life wasn't all about having fun. You had to work as hard as you played. He had me cutting the 300' by 150' lawn with a push mower at age nine. That would take me about two days to finish. Then there were all the holes to dig for tree plantings. And sometimes for no other reason than to work me. Cutting and clearing woods, cleaning out the shed twice a summer. I miss you Pop! Good Lord I am blessed despite my parents divorce, despite my mom abandoning my sister and I. We had a wonderful family and childhood.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 PM

5,530 posts, read 2,895,788 times
Dang, who had Duck Dynasty or whatever that show is/was (I never saw it but have seen the kitschy products spun off it)?

Old 08-01-2019, 09:33 PM

4,545 posts, read 1,741,072 times
Idyllic. Working-class Cleavers, steady responsible parents. One-cinema midwestern town, bike anywhere, or run, and fish. Aspies like me were undiagnosed and undrugged, learned to fit in and do fine. The first stage in a long contented life.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:00 PM

832 posts, read 570,943 times
My father was a tyrant and a bully. He hated women, and he didn't care for children much, either. Unfortunately for him and for us, he had seven children in the first decade of marriage. He hated family life. He was abusive in every way a parent can be abusive.

Neighbors did nothing to stop him, even though they could hear the crying and screaming coming from our house. School authorities did nothing to stop him, even though they could see signs on our bodies and in our behavior at school. It was the Sixties/early Seventies, and the male head of household had the privilege to abuse his dependents if he felt like it. We lived in an affluent town where LE was more concerned about leaves lying unraked on a lawn.

I was sure that, one night, he would murder us all in our beds. He was that enraged and full of resentment towards us. We were all really good kids; we were all terrified of him. My mother was loving but helpless against him. For a long time, she couldn't even drive a car. A neighbor lady taught her to drive in secret while my father was at work; she took my mother to the DMV to get her license. My father exploded when he discovered what had been going on behind his back, and I was sure he'd kill the neighbor lady and us. Somehow he never took that final step of familicide. Something held him back. Maybe fear of bullying in prison for killing children?

So I have some PTSD as a result of being raised that way. I escaped at 17 for college 3,000 miles away on a full scholarship, with no financial support from my parents. My mother finally got away from him after the youngest child was in full-time school.

He died alone. None of his children were on speaking terms with him. I understand that his corpse was undisturbed for months in his home before authorities investigated why his mail had been piling up. Not punishment enough.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 PM

11,125 posts, read 12,539,807 times
Since I was a kid in the 50's, it was great!

Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,446,771 times
My old man once told me, if he had killed my mother when he first wanted to, he'd be out of prison by now.

Nice, huh?

Old 08-01-2019, 11:13 PM

728 posts, read 172,540 times
Abusive. Kicked out 2 days after HS grad and decisions made for me, not by me, that altered the course of my life forever.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM

3,973 posts, read 1,689,299 times
I thought I'd had a good childhood (it was the only childhood I had, how could I evaluate it?) until I was about 25 and started realizing just how awful my mother was.

She was rewriting her own childhood by manipulating me and my siblings. Totally selfish, we all wound up tweaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or