U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 PM

4,394 posts, read 2,660,881 times

Advertisements

I would assume it is only a matter of time before DNA can be quickly and cheaply gathered and stored electronically. A huge stink was raised about the NSA tracking cell phone calls of Americans, well, cataloging our DNA is 1000x worse. But it is almost as bad to be handing it to private companies to do what they want with. They can sell that to whoever, or it can be hacked. It is a roadmap to who you are, way more personal than your Facebook profile. Some future employer might use it to exclude employing anyone who has certain genetics because it might lead to higher medical costs or maybe some gene exists that makes people bad employees. There are so many ways DNA info can be abused. I cannot believe that people are so willing to hand this over to some business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM

13,770 posts, read 6,534,991 times
They have to pay for my DNA.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 PM

5,204 posts, read 8,739,369 times
Smile Medical history - yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I'll explain it, since I am in the same boat as Nancy, the OP.

The man I thought was my father was a physician, a brilliant man and a marathon runner who lived to be 97 and had no medical issues. The man that DNA proved was my father was a liquor store owner, an alcoholic, a sexual deviant and he died of diabetes and a massive heart attack at 69.

So yeah.... it was a "good"" thing I found out my medical history and can adjust my lifestyle accordingly.
But, if you had grown up with this bio-dad, your childhood might have been drastically different. Sometimes, others make decisions based on facts at the time.

Also, things are more open today.

So, for medical reasons, OK.
But sometimes, the other - well, I'll leave it up to those that have to make that decision.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:18 PM

304 posts, read 146,825 times
My husband was adopted at birth and never had a burning desire to find his birth mom, even though her name was on the court docket. A few years ago my friend found his birth family so I encouraged my hubby to do his DNA to find out his heritage. Illinois opened up their adoption records a few years ago. He sent for his and all information was redacted. Meaning his mom was still alive and Dad was listing as unknown.
Through his DNA he found both sides of his family. His Birth Mom is still alive and has chosen not to meet him and he is fine with that. He does have 3 living half siblings and have met 2 of them. It has been instant chemistry since we 1st met 9 months ago. They text and chat all the time.
Then his Dad's sister showed up in his DNA link. I contacted the grand daughter who monitored the site and explained why I thought Bob was his dad. Bob is dead. The aunt always told us she suspected a pregnancy. They were engaged and she has the ring. Well we met them 4 months ago. About 25 relatives on his dad's side. It was incredible. My DH looks like his dad and his 1/2 sister on that side started crying when she met him because the resemblance. DH talks to his aunt once a week on the phone. And texts this sister all the time and assortment of cousins too.
For someone who was reluctant to find his biological family it has been a positive win-win situation for us. We have plans to see them all again soon.
He was adopted by 2 people who loved him. They are both gone so now he has a bonus family and he loves it.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 PM

342 posts, read 82,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I give mine away for free as often as I can.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:19 AM

6,099 posts, read 2,965,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I could follow you for one day and probably get it for free.

Just ask any of the criminals caught by DNA after trailing detectives jumped on that discarded tissue or cup.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:07 AM

408 posts, read 478,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Explain to me again how all this DNA testing is a good thing.
In my case it finally alleviated 64 years of wondering whether my oldest sister (16 years older than me) was actually my mother. Rumors abounded that she was my mom and that the people I called mom and dad were actually grandma and grandpa. Nope, she's really my sister and my mom and dad (both deceased) were actually my parents.

Unfortunately it also alleviated the rumor we had a Mohawk Indian ancestor. I'm 100% English and Irish.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:07 AM

23,960 posts, read 17,831,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I stay away from the whole DNA-genealogy thing. I have no reason to doubt anything but still, I figure let sleeping dogs lie. Of course my sister has gotten into it which in a way drags me in because we share DNA. She is always telling me about distant cousins she is finding but it doesn't do anything for me.
Same here.

My mom had a very difficult time getting pregnant and her and my dad tried for many years. They've mentioned that they were on what was then some sort of experimental fertility treatment. I came along several years after that.

I have no doubt that my mom is my mom - I look like pretty much everyone else on that side of the family. Other than my short/muscular build, which my dad has, I don't resemble anyone else on that side of the family at all. The men are all over 6' tall. I'm 5'7. Most are lanky and I'm stocky.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM

56,705 posts, read 55,057,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I stay away from the whole DNA-genealogy thing. I have no reason to doubt anything but still, I figure let sleeping dogs lie. Of course my sister has gotten into it which in a way drags me in because we share DNA. She is always telling me about distant cousins she is finding but it doesn't do anything for me.
I have a sister like that, too, but I do find some of it interesting. Last year she came up with a picture of a sixth cousin out in the west somewhere who looks very much like my youngest brother. Genes are interesting.

That same sister also had a baby when she was 18 with boy from school who was 17 who did not have anything to do with the baby. She knew he'd gone to have more children, as well as a drug habit, and he died about five years ago.

She did a little poking around and found that her daughter/my niece, who is now 40, has three living siblings as well as another brother who died of a drug overdose as a teenager. There were four different mothers altogether.

She gave the info to my sister in case she ever wants to look up any of these half-siblings, but to the best of my knowledge, she hasn't done so to date. One half-brother looks just like my niece.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 PM

2,992 posts, read 1,622,898 times
I just sent my sample in the mail yesterday, there was a 50% discount during the Prime sales last month & I figured what the heck. I suspect most of my heritage will run pure Irish with perhaps some evidence of Viking tourists from centuries past from the side that is closest to the ocean.

My father & his only sibling, a brother, didn't get along, in fact the cousins from that side of the family who knew him all agree what a disagreeable & angry person he was. There was little contact between the brothers and when their mother passed on there was no contact ever again even though they lived not far from each other.

About 20 years ago I moved to a neighborhood next to where my uncle & family lived, although we know nothing of the family or who/when he got married, etc. One day at the bank a teller said that there was a guy who looked just like me who was a customer there. So I'm curious to see what family I may have nearby, I really have almost no family in this country other than 2 brothers.

My mother mentioned in her old age that when she was a little girl there was a letter kept in the sitting room from what she thinks was an uncle to her father, my grandfather, describing regrets at having emigrated to Argentina because he was so lonely there. She remembers the letter because it was so sad & South America may as well have been the moon to her, I suspect it may have been written around the turn of the century. So I'm curious if anything will be revealed about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or