U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 957,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I dumped 3 boxes in the trash. They were in my garage for 8 years...picture of people I didn't even know and no one in the family wanted them so out they went. I got tired of being the "keeper" of the photos and lugging them around every time I moved.
I will probably do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,148,244 times
Honestly, just when someone dies. I go through my old photos and give the deceased's pictures to their kids. They always appreciate them.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

13,615 posts, read 6,483,219 times
I’m going to go to Costco. I’m not doing all these copying. That’s what I have money for. However, I need to select my pictures, I took too many of the same scene, especially on slides.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

6,771 posts, read 8,128,169 times
We went through all the photos when we moved two years ago. We took out all the good photos in photo albums, and threw it all away with the bad photos loose in boxes. All the remaining photos went in small photo boxes to give to my our daughter when the time is right. I donít plan on looking at them again

Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

452 posts, read 285,975 times
I do enjoy looking throigh old photos occasionally. Not to dwell on, or obsess over, but good memories have a place in life, and there are a lot of good memories in these photos. It makes me happy, so I do it. But as with most things, if it’s not a pleasurable thing for you, no reason to do it.

Re scanning, my parents in their nineties are still living, so I’ve been scanning old photos a few at a time and putting them on their digital picture frame. At some point, I’ll send all the photos to a couple hard drives to give to my brothers, if they are interested. If not, the photos have served their purpose and when I’m no longer around, they’ll get thrown out. A lot of them get thrown out now, after I scan them.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

772 posts, read 156,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
my parents in their nineties are still living,
Brings up another thing I thought of....If you have the chance, get a video camera and interview your parents. I did about 15 years ago. My mom is 96 now, my dad died a couple years ago at 94.
I also periodically interview my kids with video. I asked my daughter when she was about 4 what she'd like to tell her future husband. She said "Protect me" I asked from what? "From dinosaurs and bears". These are the kinds of things you can play at their wedding.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

14,095 posts, read 20,492,834 times
Yes
No
Will be my daughter’s task to sort/inspect/trash/keep when her mother dies in 2052.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,580,634 times
How many photos do you have on your phone? I'm pretty new to cell phones and already I have quite a few. There are some I'll delete sometime but many I'd like to keep. I know some people really have a lot, It must take awhile to find something you want.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

10,832 posts, read 8,112,177 times
We're shedding our skin as fast as nature allows.

Old Today, 05:26 AM

2,845 posts, read 957,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
..., I need to select my pictures, I took too many ...
What did it cost to take a photo and print it in 1900?
Two hours pay? A days pay?
What did it cost in 1960?
About $1?
What did it cost in 2018?
A fraction of a cent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or