Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:10 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

My parents have a lot of photo albums from years gone by. They've scanned most of them. I've gone through many of these at home and at my grandparents.

I have digital photos going back to the time I got my first digital camera in 2001. I've always been techie and don't have many paper photos that aren't scanned. Between the family photos and the old digital camera photos, that's probably a couple thousand photos.

My iOS photo library has photos going back to 2012. I have 3,3xx photos in iCloud. I've probably taken three to four times that many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 AM

1,210 posts, read 883,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
How many photos do you have on your phone? I'm pretty new to cell phones and already I have quite a few. There are some I'll delete sometime but many I'd like to keep. I know some people really have a lot, It must take awhile to find something you want.
I have a folder on my computer called "dump" into which I dump everything from cameras, cell phones, video cameras, etc. every month or two I go through that folder and put content from it into my categorized storage folders: Kids, me, my wife, neighborhood, work, events, family, parents, etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:46 PM

890 posts, read 654,011 times
Before my Mom died she organized pictures by kids. So I have albums of myself and some with my siblings. I started out putting all our pictures in albums but for about 10 years did not. These are in plastic containers. I have been going through them and tossing the scenery pictures. Most of the time I have no clue where they were taken. I plan to scan pictures to get rid of clutter.
I don't know if I could then toss my kids pictures from when they were babies. Not there yet.
I don't think I have used my camera in 6-7 yrs so I have a lot of downloaded pictures.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 PM

11,985 posts, read 8,320,397 times
We have my folks' and his folks' and our fifty-two year's worth. That's a heck of a lot of family history and memories and when I want to have a look I do it in small pieces.

Sometimes when one of the kids has a birthday we'll get out a couple of albums from their early years and remember fun times.

The Mister has been mentioning putting them online for years now but so far he's still too busy to sit still that long. When he's ready I'll be there to help him put it all in order. Sounds overwhelming.

Sometimes when I'm browsing through antique and junk stores I'll see whole boxes of photos from the past and it always makes me feel wistful wondering if anyone even knows who those people were or if they even care. Sometimes it feels like connection to the past is no longer considered valuable to the younger generations.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Sometimes it feels like connection to the past is no longer considered valuable to the younger generations.
Not now, but most likely later. The older the photo the bigger the gasps "Oh My God!"

Old 08-05-2019, 05:58 PM

1,379 posts, read 730,939 times
When my dad died I scanned most of his slides and photos (gotta admit, didn't scan most of grandma's pictures of her tulips) and made a simple website. Mom and dad were AWESOME about labeling with dates and names, so I was able to use those as keywords. In addition to putting it all online, I also put it on thumb drives and mailed copies to my sister and cousins. I want that stuff to live on. Don't know what else I can do.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
When my dad died I scanned most of his slides and photos (gotta admit, didn't scan most of grandma's pictures of her tulips) and made a simple website. Mom and dad were AWESOME about labeling with dates and names, so I was able to use those as keywords. In addition to putting it all online, I also put it on thumb drives and mailed copies to my sister and cousins. I want that stuff to live on. Don't know what else I can do.
Cool photos.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:07 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,652,114 times
I have eight or ten photo albums with only one or two that contain people I recognize. I've taken them to family reunions trying to give them to people who might recognize the photos. No luck. Many are my late wife's family. These are my daughter's ancestors in some cases. My daughter wants no part of them and they might just disappear when I'm gone. But -- she is an archivist and might look at them before they are trashed to see what there might be. I know there is a picture of people in a park around 1904-05 with a very primitive, Wright Brothers-style, biplane flying overhead. There are some pictures of the 1904 World's Fair. My dad's WW2 photos - ones I would really like to have - are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement