U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Today, 07:41 AM
 
200 posts, read 118,205 times
Reputation: 285

Advertisements

I want to live in a community similar to the Sun City communities primarily for the amenities and activities. I will need to start narrowing down my search based on location, weather, cost, taxes, family etc and am wondering if there are other large community brands I should research in a addition to the Sun City communities.

We live in the midwest and will likely want to stay on the eastern side of the country as our family is here (MI, NY). I want more sun and less cold/snow, hubby doesn't like heat/humidity so we will have our work cut out for us in finding a compromise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:54 AM
 
14,303 posts, read 24,086,836 times
Reputation: 20158
There are Del Webb communities all over the country and some are in northern states like Sun City Huntley near Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,889 posts, read 4,900,122 times
Reputation: 19852
Here's a link to a website detailing planned communities in the Southeast. It gives descriptions, ratings, and residents reviews, as well as beautiful photos of the communities and amenities.

https://realestatescorecard.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,412 posts, read 3,748,060 times
Reputation: 4189
try https://www.55places.com/

Your idea for narrowing your search is good. I would find one or two states and then the location within the state before I try to find the community.

The community for you does not have to be one done by a large builder so look at all.

I think you want to sort of pick the size of the community. You are probably looking for ones with several thousand homes. I would be careful as the size increases. Also consider the location to shopping etc.

This might be the blog for the largest community https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/index.php I am not recommending the community, just that you might get some interesting ideas on retirement communities from the blog. Remember blogs tend to discuss problems and the problems may only effect a few. The key is for you to identify items that maybe a problem to you and to consider that when you buy. For example you will find that storage space maybe a problem and the answer is a large garage.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:13 AM
 
200 posts, read 118,205 times
Reputation: 285
Thanks for all the suggestions and links! So far, the one that seems to fit "me" (not necessarily hubby) the best is Sun City Carolina Lakes. I especially like that it is so close to decent stores. So many seem to be out in rural areas. I'll keep researching! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
16,433 posts, read 10,410,209 times
Reputation: 28786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Here's a link to a website detailing planned communities in the Southeast. It gives descriptions, ratings, and residents reviews, as well as beautiful photos of the communities and amenities.

https://realestatescorecard.com

Norris Lake in eastern TN looks interesting. House seem more consistent with my budget.


Thanks, The Shadow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,412 posts, read 3,748,060 times
Reputation: 4189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and links! So far, the one that seems to fit "me" (not necessarily hubby) the best is Sun City Carolina Lakes. I especially like that it is so close to decent stores. So many seem to be out in rural areas. I'll keep researching! Thanks!
I visited several times a few years ago. Assume they have completed the community by now.

Check the quality of construction of the amenities and that all are completed. Look at the budget and reserve funds.

Ask about hail. I think they had a lot of damage -roofs- about 10 years ago. This is not a negative for the builder but just the location. You will have freezing for your sprinkler system if you do not drain. But you do get 3 seasons.

It is a nice community but at the time I visited a little distant from shopping for me. Consider this as your want to drive less as you get older.

As I recall you would have state taxes so think about your cost of living if your budget is tight.

This community did make my top 5. But I ended up dropping all DelWeb from consideration.

Use its size to think about the size of community you would like. I think a large community is better than a small one but not giant.

I think 15 minutes to 30 minutes one way in a golf cart is ok for size. Most items within 15 but 30 is ok once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:17 PM
 
200 posts, read 118,205 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I visited several times a few years ago. Assume they have completed the community by now.

Check the quality of construction of the amenities and that all are completed. Look at the budget and reserve funds.

Ask about hail. I think they had a lot of damage -roofs- about 10 years ago. This is not a negative for the builder but just the location. You will have freezing for your sprinkler system if you do not drain. But you do get 3 seasons.

It is a nice community but at the time I visited a little distant from shopping for me. Consider this as your want to drive less as you get older.

As I recall you would have state taxes so think about your cost of living if your budget is tight.

This community did make my top 5. But I ended up dropping all DelWeb from consideration.

Use its size to think about the size of community you would like. I think a large community is better than a small one but not giant.

I think 15 minutes to 30 minutes one way in a golf cart is ok for size. Most items within 15 but 30 is ok once in a while.
Thanks, that's very helpful. There are more stores than perhaps when you were looking (TJ Maxx, Ross, Petco, Hobby Lobby, etc.) right across the street, I think.

State taxes are an issue. From that standpoint, I would prefer TN but I'm not seeing anything there that checks most the boxes. Tellico Village is too remote. Really don't want to be in Nashville but may need to look that direction again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
26,583 posts, read 42,499,064 times
Reputation: 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thanks, that's very helpful. There are more stores than perhaps when you were looking (TJ Maxx, Ross, Petco, Hobby Lobby, etc.) right across the street, I think.

State taxes are an issue. From that standpoint, I would prefer TN but I'm not seeing anything there that checks most the boxes. Tellico Village is too remote. Really don't want to be in Nashville but may need to look that direction again.
You might want to research Tennessee taxes carefully. While they have no state income tax, their sales tax is among the highest in the country. Then add on the allowable county sales tax and it is pretty pricey.

For example, Nashville residents pay the 7 percent state sales tax and a 2 1/4% County tax. On purchases over $1,600 add another 2 3/4% for a total of 12%. That is the highest sales tax in the country. So say you want to buy a refrigerator or computer or a new car, be ready to open your wallet a lot wider than other states.

Also note that Tennessee taxes groceries at 5 1/2%. I find that to be pretty despicable. You can live without a refrigerator, computer or car but you can’t live without buying food. How is that fair?

Finally Tennessee also taxes interest and dividends at 3%. If your income in retirement is from that be prepared to pay tax on it. As I said, look at it carefully. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; Today at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Revised tax amount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Dover, DE
1,804 posts, read 3,848,394 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and links! So far, the one that seems to fit "me" (not necessarily hubby) the best is Sun City Carolina Lakes. I especially like that it is so close to decent stores. So many seem to be out in rural areas. I'll keep researching! Thanks!
I actually lived in SCCL for 7 years, so I know a bit about it and have kept up on some things. Yes, the community is built out, so the only thing you can get now are resales, but that's not a "con" by any reason. The pricing on the resales really soared about 4-5 years ago but has leveled off now. I do know that they had some problems with Pulte fulfilling promises, but I only know what I read. I also know that the HOA has risen somewhat since Pulte pulled out because Pulte was subsidizing to keep it low. It appears that the board now wants to do some capital improvements as well, so that's another reason.

As far as shopping, that whole 521 corridor from Ballantyne to south of SCCL has built up a TON. In fact they have built a new shopping center right across the street from SCCL. Other stores have filled in the area so you should be able to find almost anything you need within a 0-15 minute drive. There are a few places you can even drive your golf cart if you have one. I miss the Publix SO much!! It was about 5 minutes up the road. The biggest thing was the traffic on 521 since a lot of people who worked towards and in Charlotte lived in SC, so the road would become extremely crowded in the earlier morning and the later afternoon. And that was before all the extra construction took place. We just went out at other times. Also it is a very easy drive to Fort Mill for other shopping. The Charlotte-Douglas airport is only about a 35-40 minute drive away depending on traffic.

There is a Lennar community that is 1/2 active adult and 1/2 family down Jim Wilson Road that is nice. Although it does lack amenities as compared to SCCL. I believe Lennar was building another active adult not too far away from SCCL. Pulte built another 55+ over in Fort Mill and I do believe they are still building there. The "Sun City" nomenclature is due to the fact that there is a golf course running through SCCL. If there is no golf course then it is a Del Webb, which is what the one in Fort Mill is.

We moved from there not quite 4.5 years ago, not because we were unhappy, but because we wanted to be closer to our daughter. We now live in a 55+ in central Delaware. Not sure what you are looking for, but Delaware has a really fast growing population of retirees and 55+/active adult communities are popping up everywhere. There is a rather large one called Heritage Shores down near Lewes and Rehoboth Beach. No sales tax, no personal property tax (note that NC and SC both have that), low RE property taxes and relatively low income tax (SS not taxed, $12,500/person other retirement income exempt). In fact, just the dropping of the personal property taxes (cars, boats, RVs, etc) lowered our total tax bill below the SC level as we were paying close to $500/year just for our cars, and they were not luxury by anyone's standard.

Good luck on your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top