U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 03:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 3,759,602 times

Advertisements

No but I do know that some personnel departments do favor younger hires and that surprised me. You would think they would want the best person for the job.

Just keep doing your best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM

55,863 posts, read 74,880,238 times
Must do better than survive -the I must be dotted and the t crossed also expect 18 months before retirement to be declared incompetent and fired -they cut a check for your contributed vested and save millions -be ready to call union and a lawyer when you get there- you will need both
It’s a rigged game
Til they have to cut a retirement check it’s all just ink and paper
Most never get there

Old 08-06-2019, 03:43 PM

26,221 posts, read 33,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
Before you retired did you feel like you were hanging on a string and counting down the days before you could quit work? Every week you survived at the job was a notch on your belt?

Basically I am just hanging on at work and financially counting down the months I can retire and collect my pensions and Social Security. My bosses and coworkers really don't want me around anymore, they would love it if I would just disappear. I am known behind closed doors as the deadwood in the office. They don't think I am adding value to the organization and don't fit in with the increasingly young employees. I am an outsider looking in trying to do the best job I can and survive week to week. But my job is protected by civil service and union rules.

I am trying hard to do a good job but maybe the world of work has passed me by.

Maybe you are asking why I just don't retire and call it a career. Well, I have a one-word answer: MONEY! I can't afford to retire until I am eligible for Social Security and my two pensions. That magic date will be October 24th, 2020. I don't have enough savings to bridge that gap and quit today and survive. (Due to a divorce, medical expenses and financial mistakes.)

Can you relate?
Not really. I have 2.5 more years. I def have value in my job and if I walked out the door tomorrow they would have a helluva time figuring out how to do what I do. I am slowly documenting all my processes do that when the time comes, I wonít feel any guilt about not looking back ( because I know theyíll want me to stay longer!)

Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM

13,716 posts, read 6,516,267 times
I was like that toward the end. It was painfully slow. I almost thought of quitting. But I thought I’ve already put in 4 years, just one more year to get a tiny pension which is meaningless to me. The amount I get from my last job is tiny. Except my husband and I save more than 50% of our income so we at least build up our retirement account. I also went part time, so I only ended up working 4 days and not 5 days.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM

20 posts, read 5,183 times
I feel exactly the same way. If I can make it, May 2021 is my date. My job is a dead end, no raises or promotions to be had, and they have cut benefits. A couple of years back they ended the pension for younger employees and put them in a 401k. Older workers could stay in the pension so I did. So I slog along, fund the pension, get benefits, and a paycheck. But I am in the same boat, I don't reach minimum social security until October of 2020. I have run the numbers and I need the small pension and SS to make it. Another problem is that the technology has passed me by. I was talking with a young network guy today and he was obviously way ahead of me. And the thing was I did not care. I just want to finish out my time and retire. So I can relate to your post!

Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM

13,085 posts, read 15,478,315 times
I’ve worked for my employer for years and years in one capacity or another. I used to be the golden child. If they thought I might be thinking about leaving for another job, they offered me more money. If I needed more work/life balance, they told me I could work PRN, three 12 hour days, four 10 hour days, whatever I wanted. If I wanted to work from home, they’d figure out a way to make that happen. This was before people worked from home.

Fast forward to now. Most of the people I worked with when I was golden are gone and the managers are my kids’ age. I really feel an “out with the old, in with the new” vibe. Young people with no experience but a degree coming in earning more than people who have been there for years and know the job like the back of their hand. If I left now, I’m sure the response would be more like, “Okay, bye!” than, “How can we get you to stay?”

But I’m down to not caring anymore. The sooner I escape, the better.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,491,112 times
"Can you relate?"
no.
no divorce.
bought medical insurance when i was young and it was cheap.
made two financial mistakes and i learned and did not repeat.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:34 PM

4,201 posts, read 1,888,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
That magic date will be October 24th, 2020.
That's like almost now.
If I was that close and in your position, I wouldn't give a crap what anyone there thought.

In less than 3 months, you're gonna walk out that door and never see any of 'em again.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM

4,010 posts, read 2,922,873 times
I probably have until December of 2023, though there is a reasonable chance of the last year or two being ~30 hours working remotely from retirement location with some additional time tacked on with that workload. A few "maybe if" conditions that are not individually improbable. I could end up retired without knowing it before then if I were let go and have trouble finding something.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:38 PM

13,085 posts, read 15,478,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's like almost now.
If I was that close and in your position, I wouldn't give a crap what anyone there thought.

In less than 3 months, you're gonna walk out that door and never see any of 'em again.
A year and three months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or