U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:47 PM

13,374 posts, read 25,686,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's like almost now.
If I was that close and in your position, I wouldn't give a crap what anyone there thought.

In less than 3 months, you're gonna walk out that door and never see any of 'em again.
?? A year and less than three months. Still soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 10:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,810 posts, read 40,246,803 times
Can't relate,

My work was really fun / challenging, rewarding (invention, not pay), and had an excellent employer with GREAT benefits (who ruined me with flex time, no timeclocks, 7-10% profit sharing, 15 - 25% shift differential premiums, lots of volunteer opportunities and ability to take as much time without pay as desired, if I could find someone to take my workload.. Never any lay-offs in founder's history (62+ yrs)).

Good thing, ...as VERY unfortunately... an evil witch CEO (and subsequent (and current) US Presidential candidate) took over 5 yrs before I was eligible for retirement (32 yrs service). POOF GONE>>> Pensions, retiree healthcare, previous sick leave accruals (over 800 hours for me...) and 25+ worldwide employee / retirement recreation camps / ranches (free lodging WW as retiree / employee). As well as over 60% of the company's valuation. also... laid off 300,000 high tech workers >$100k wages each (aquired and company employees). For the grand prize of $40m Golden Parachute when she was finally FIRED...

So... Though I thought I was Golden (for 30+ yrs...), I had to make a new plan for retirement / future.

Beware companies / plans change! As you have found out... divorce / medical / mistakes.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:28 AM

732 posts, read 943,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
No. Not even. If you like what you do, you'll never "work" a day in your life. Work isn't prison to the extent that the day you retire is the day you are set free. A lot of people stop being retired and go back to work or maybe some other easy job part time. Sitting around the house sucks. Most people hate fishing and golf.
Most who go back to work do so because money is scarse. Do you really think that the 70 yer old janitor went back to work because he loved cleaning other people mess...?

Something like 86 % of people hate their jobs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Sitting around the house sucks
This is what happen when you do not save money and just spend everything... When you retire you have not enough money to travel, explore the world, do interesting things and end up going back to that no life soul sucking job market meaning you have spent your life doing nothing... the perfect example of :

Quote:
Everybody dies but not everybody lives
Or
Quote:
People dies at 25 but just get buried at 80
Look, I am not lecturing you, I retired last year at the young age of 35, and honestly this was the best decision of my life, I get to do what I truly love, live my life on my terms.

I love visual art, so I am going back to school not to learn a task to find a job but to do what I love.

My dad retired at 62, I can tell you I hear a more energetic voice when I talk to him, he travel, enjoy life, do not put up with the cold anymore.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:46 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,130,516 times
I can totally relate. The place I worked was getting increasingly messed up. Try 4 CEO's in about 10 years-- the last 3 CEOS in the last 4 years and guess what- in the last few months, a new one on top of that.
I still speak to a few of my coworkers ( I "retired" last summer) and it's just gotten even worse.
So yes, I can totally relate. I started marking the calendar off to get me to 65 (for medicare purposes and also to just have a goal). I had decided that if it got really bad, I would just quit anyway before then.
Well I made it to 65 and quit. I was gracious enough to give them 3 weeks notice and call it retirement. I felt that every time I got my pay deposit, I was winning.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 AM

6,967 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can't relate,

My work was really fun / challenging, rewarding (invention, not pay), and had an excellent employer with GREAT benefits (who ruined me with flex time, no timeclocks, 7-10% profit sharing, 15 - 25% shift differential premiums, lots of volunteer opportunities and ability to take as much time without pay as desired, if I could find someone to take my workload.. Never any lay-offs in founder's history (62+ yrs)).

Good thing, ...as VERY unfortunately... an evil witch CEO (and subsequent (and current) US Presidential candidate) took over 5 yrs before I was eligible for retirement (32 yrs service). POOF GONE>>> Pensions, retiree healthcare, previous sick leave accruals (over 800 hours for me...) and 25+ worldwide employee / retirement recreation camps / ranches (free lodging WW as retiree / employee). As well as over 60% of the company's valuation. also... laid off 300,000 high tech workers >$100k wages each (aquired and company employees). For the grand prize of $40m Golden Parachute when she was finally FIRED...

So... Though I thought I was Golden (for 30+ yrs...), I had to make a new plan for retirement / future.

Beware companies / plans change! As you have found out... divorce / medical / mistakes.
So, so, so sorry!!!!

I know there was a female candidate in 2016 who came across (to me, at least) as cold, tough, and very unsympathetic, imo, but she dropped out of that race fairly early, and I just checked her Wiki page and there was no mention of her running again.

Anyway, could you or the other people she injured financially have sued before the company went out of business?*

Again, you have my complete sympathy!

*I just checked her PRIOR company's history and it fits with what you described. (And that shows you how unaware I am regarding major businesses!)

P.S. I recently watched the movie, "The Company Men", and the CEO in that movie could have been a male version of her, I think. Great movie, btw!

Last edited by katharsis; 08-07-2019 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 AM

4,012 posts, read 2,925,908 times
Even though I have been the same place a very long time, it feels like I have worked for different companies over time. New management seems to feel the need to shake things up, even if the company is profitable and relatively stable. Sometimes it is hard to play the current set of reindeer games when I can see the writing on the wall. Right now, the situation is pretty stable, though there was a major bump in the road for me a few months ago. I survived it and now I think I have a reasonably good shot at finishing out here with the current management still in place, unless the CFO (who really is running things) is offered a COO or CEO position somewhere else. That's not incredibly unlikely; she's pretty active in local business social circles.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,810 posts, read 40,246,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I know there was a female candidate in 2016 who came across (to me, at least) as cold, tough, and very unsympathetic, imo, but she dropped out of that race fairly early, and I just checked her Wiki page and there was no mention of her running again.
P.S. I recently watched the movie, "The Company Men", and the CEO in that movie could have been a male version of her, I think. Great movie, btw!
maybe 'Potential 2020 Candidate at this point ?' (as noted here).
She is a perfect politician (spins a good tale and influences the influencers, has manipulation skills)
https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential...ial_candidates

Point is... the OP may THINK a weekly 'Notch in the belt' is the way to a "golden retirement"' but...
1) That employment may change / fail
2) The retirement may not be 'golden' (healthcare or changing company policies)
3) OP may change (health / goals)
4) Costs / locations / QoL, CoL may change
5) OP may be maimed or disabled or die.
6) I cannot count the number of ways my circumstances (and ideas) changed on my 'path to retirement'.
7) Tomorrow will be WAY different than planned.
8) I cannot think of a more 'useless' daily work ethic / feeling than "One day closer to retirement" *which may not happen) A good friend's dad died cleaning out his desk after his retirement luncheon. Bummer!

point is*... use each day as a benefit to others and forget about future things which may not transpire, such as ... "A golden retirement"

"Life is Fragile, handle with Care"

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-07-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 AM

622 posts, read 282,188 times
My daily mantra: Every day I'm here at work is one day closer to that day I'm not.

I actually have a countdown app on my phone which I find very motivational as I watch the months/weeks/days/hours/minutes/seconds tick by.

I'm slotted to be laid off due to another office closure (2nd time in three years) on September 30th.

I can start collecting my ex-husband's pension in June 2020 - my financial finish line!

So yes, I am counting the days, just like you.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 AM

2,976 posts, read 1,621,128 times
While I really liked my work, in fact loved it when I was younger, after 30+ years & increasingly rapid changes in technologies & almost annual corporate reorganizations the last 10 years - where it became obvious that top management were essentially looting the place though layoffs, selling divisions & larger & larger option bonuses & salaries for themselves, I had a very definite date, in years away, & a definite net worth number in mind.

But then the corporation offered buyouts to graybeards in another effort to trim expenses & I surprised myself by taking it, a "day late & dollar short" of my "goals" but too good to pass up in lieu of working a couple more years for a few dollars more. Never regretted the jump.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:19 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,984,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
Before you retired did you feel like you were hanging on a string and counting down the days before you could quit work? Every week you survived at the job was a notch on your belt?
Yes! I started my career as an inner city High School teacher in Los Angeles in 1988 and retired in 2017. I counted down every single week, month and year. I doubt anyone ever hated their career as much as I did. The day I retired was by far (overwhelmingly) the happiest day of my life. It was like ending a 29 year prison sentence.

And retirement is just as good or better than I imagined it would be. No more commute, no more physical danger, no more stress... it's amazing.

Don't let anyone denigrate the fact you're hanging on for dear life and counting down the days. The people who will tell you this are those are loved their jobs, were fulfilled and are mostly bored in retirement. For those of us who detested every second of their jobs, we get you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or