U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,984,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
No. Not even...Work isn't prison to the extent that the day you retire is the day you are set free. .
But it is for many, many people. You were obviously very fortunate to have loved your job but never assume others feel similarly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM

7,188 posts, read 1,833,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
No. Not even. If you like what you do, you'll never "work" a day in your life. Work isn't prison to the extent that the day you retire is the day you are set free. A lot of people stop being retired and go back to work or maybe some other easy job part time. Sitting around the house sucks. Most people hate fishing and golf.

I agree 100%. Seems like a lot people on here picked the wrong job and or career.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:17 PM

23 posts, read 5,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree 100%. Seems like a lot people on here picked the wrong job and or career.

I don't think people necessarily pick the wrong job or career. A persons working life is long, and they only have limited control over it. A great job can turn into a lousy one by decisions made by managers above. A good supervisor can be replaced by a slave driver. Good co-workers can leave, rotten ones come on board. And when you are older, changing jobs is not easy. So there are many factors beyond the wrong career or job.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 PM

3,629 posts, read 1,596,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellgee View Post
I don't think people necessarily pick the wrong job or career. A persons working life is long, and they only have limited control over it. A great job can turn into a lousy one by decisions made by managers above. A good supervisor can be replaced by a slave driver. Good co-workers can leave, rotten ones come on board. And when you are older, changing jobs is not easy. So there are many factors beyond the wrong career or job.
Amen! I had the greatest job ever for 8 years, then the 9th year it became unbearable due to new management. I was severely depressed for that year.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:24 PM

7,188 posts, read 1,833,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellgee View Post

I have been self employed most of my adult life. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned. I could not have others determining my destiny.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM

784 posts, read 203,685 times
I have 754 consecutive days left and cannot wait. That's about 400 work days.
Annuity and insurance paid await without dealing with all the people.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM

784 posts, read 203,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have been self employed most of my adult life. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned. I could not have others determining my destiny.
I grew up working with my father who owned a business for 40 years ready for me to take over.
I saw all the people he had to deal with on regular basis and said no way.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:44 PM

1,457 posts, read 431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can't relate,

My work was really fun / challenging, rewarding (invention, not pay), and had an excellent employer with GREAT benefits (who ruined me with flex time, no timeclocks, 7-10% profit sharing, 15 - 25% shift differential premiums, lots of volunteer opportunities and ability to take as much time without pay as desired, if I could find someone to take my workload.. Never any lay-offs in founder's history (62+ yrs)).

Good thing, ...as VERY unfortunately... an evil witch CEO (and subsequent (and current) US Presidential candidate) took over 5 yrs before I was eligible for retirement (32 yrs service). POOF GONE>>> Pensions, retiree healthcare, previous sick leave accruals (over 800 hours for me...) and 25+ worldwide employee / retirement recreation camps / ranches (free lodging WW as retiree / employee). As well as over 60% of the company's valuation. also... laid off 300,000 high tech workers >$100k wages each (aquired and company employees). For the grand prize of $40m Golden Parachute when she was finally FIRED...

So... Though I thought I was Golden (for 30+ yrs...), I had to make a new plan for retirement / future.

Beware companies / plans change! As you have found out... divorce / medical / mistakes.
Wow thatís terrible. Glad you could enjoy what you had before the management change.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 PM

835 posts, read 573,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can't relate,

My work was really fun / challenging, rewarding (invention, not pay), and had an excellent employer with GREAT benefits (who ruined me with flex time, no timeclocks, 7-10% profit sharing, 15 - 25% shift differential premiums, lots of volunteer opportunities and ability to take as much time without pay as desired, if I could find someone to take my workload.. Never any lay-offs in founder's history (62+ yrs)).

Good thing, ...as VERY unfortunately... an evil witch CEO (and subsequent (and current) US Presidential candidate) took over 5 yrs before I was eligible for retirement (32 yrs service). POOF GONE>>> Pensions, retiree healthcare, previous sick leave accruals (over 800 hours for me...) and 25+ worldwide employee / retirement recreation camps / ranches (free lodging WW as retiree / employee). As well as over 60% of the company's valuation. also... laid off 300,000 high tech workers >$100k wages each (aquired and company employees). For the grand prize of $40m Golden Parachute when she was finally FIRED...

So... Though I thought I was Golden (for 30+ yrs...), I had to make a new plan for retirement / future.

Beware companies / plans change! As you have found out... divorce / medical / mistakes.
So sorry this happened to you!

HP had 25+ worldwide employee / retirement recreation camps / ranches?

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 20 days ago)

1,473 posts, read 477,540 times
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or