Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 23,471 times

Advertisements

The media is full of stories about how we are living longer. The newspaper stories always talk about the people who are living healthy comfortable lives in their 90s and 100s. Even posters on this board have got into the act and are always telling us that if you are a married couple in retirement there is a 50% chance one of you will live past 90 years old.

But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement? Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 AM

1,210 posts, read 881,436 times
I retired the day I graduated from college. The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.

Now, my dad never exercised a day in his life, was always fat, smoked in the 1950s and only lived 18 months less than Jack La Lane. My 96 year old mom still comes over to our house and drinks a half a bottle of Two Buck Chuck on Sundays.

I will die on my 97th birthday and I have an elegant way of spending my assets such that the check to the under will bounce.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:03 AM

32,985 posts, read 26,220,890 times
Despite expectations, no one knows how long they are going to live, or how long they will remain healthy. A sixty year old person might expect to live until ninety but drop dead before reaching sixty-one. I have no expectations to live until ninety, nor do I have a desire to live that long. I'm currently sixty-five and hope to depart this world and go home to be with the Lord before becoming physically or mentally incapacitated. I do hope to be healthy for as long as I do live. I have no bucket list.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM

32,985 posts, read 26,220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I retired the day I graduated from college. The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.

Now, my dad never exercised a day in his life, was always fat, smoked in the 1950s and only lived 18 months less than Jack La Lane. My 96 year old mom still comes over to our house and drinks a half a bottle of Two Buck Chuck on Sundays.

I will die on my 97th birthday and I have an elegant way of spending my assets such that the check to the under will bounce.
So you want to screw the undertaker who never did anything to you.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,264,664 times
As I always say, "Longevity runs in the family but it ain't pretty...."

My mom lasted until 90--she spent the last 10 years in a nursing home. In her final years she suffered from dementia. She finally stopped eating and essentially "wasted away." Her brother lived to 90 as well. He wouldn't have lasted that long if it wasn't for his wife who single handedly kept him out of the nursing home until the very end.

My dad actually went first. He was 85. After 3 stints in the hospital (for unrelated reasons) he suffered a heart attack while he was in rehab and expired quickly. He was recouping from back surgery. I was told that he probably would never be able to walk "unassisted" ever again. My personal belief is that he knew what was coming down the pike (i.e. the nursing home) and checked out before that became a reality.

My paternal grandmother lived until 99--again spending her "golden" years in a nursing home. She was relocated to a facility in another state to be closer to her daughter (the only female sibling) I don't believe my grandmother had ever left NYS prior to this, and I think the unfamiliar surroundings contributed to her dementia.

The whole question freaks on Kid#2 who is afraid that I will cramp her lifestyle in my later years. She already told me that she doesn't want to take care of me and has appropriated that task to Kid#1.

I don't believe any of it. Kid #2 will feel too guilty. I told her that she can pay all my bills while her sister handles my day-to-day. I also told her that when the time comes just put me in a boat on Lake Erie and PUSH....

Seriously, I don't want to live that long--but then again who can predict? Right now I'm suffering some mobility issues that I'm trying to rectify with exercise, weight loss and orthotics. If I can get over this hump I'd like to do more travelling. I also see one more car in my future (maybe in 2022) I'm mulling over whether or not to buy into a condo or senior trailer park. I'm giving myself a couple of years here in FL (I came here from the Northeast) before I commit to a permanent residence.

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 08-06-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM

6,929 posts, read 4,392,335 times
At 65 maybe I have 20 years left. I don’t want any of my kids to take care of me. I don’t want to burden them.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM

1,516 posts, read 2,397,979 times
Just turned 65 and feel I will see 85. Started to research painless "ways out" for future reference. I have spoken to the kids on the subject. I will not be a burden on anyone. I have in writing donate my body to science, no wake or funeral. Nice lunch on a Saturday with an open bar were people can say kind words about me. After science is done with me dump the ashes in the trash. See you on the other side.

As my late Polish grandmother would say "gotta come, gotta go".

Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 599,182 times
I think I will have 25+ years

Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 AM

23,140 posts, read 28,874,075 times
I had the life line on my hand read in India, back in 1991. Being it was so cheap, $2 a read, I had 5 different palmists read that line and that line only. The results: 4 said 82, one said 83.

So does that mean we're all safe from witnessing the Last Great Show on Earth, the Nuclear Holocaust, until at least 2032 or 2033?

Imagine! My going through my 82nd year! When, when, when, which day? The day after I blow out the candles? The evening of my 83rd birthday party?

Curb your curiosities, don't ever have your life line read, or you'll regret it! The beauty of the future is its unexpectancies!

Old 08-06-2019, 10:54 AM

287 posts, read 199,869 times
For what awaits me in my older age...I don't wish to get there.
I'm 62 and can barely keep my balance when I stand up due to PAD.. Even while being on 9 different medications(including Xoloft) and in treatment for 15 years,my glucose this morning was 309...and my blood pressure 177/77. No exercise,supplements,etc seem to really have a beneficial effect on me.
I believe you really cannot change anything when you're apparently a loser in the genetic lottery also. I will die of a massive stroke like my mother and 3 of my maternal uncles or I will lose limbs due to diabetes like 2 first cousins.
Besides,I'm $91K in debt,no savings whatsoever and my 2 remaining close family members live 4K miles away.
My father lived to 59...my mother to 76...I already beat my father's longevity. I doubt I will make it beyond 70 when it's the only hope I will have of really retiring.
Just waiting for whatever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement