U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

18 posts, read 1,628 times

Advertisements

Before you retired did you feel like you were hanging on a string and counting down the days before you could quit work? Every week you survived at the job was a notch on your belt?

Basically I am just hanging on at work and financially counting down the months I can retire and collect my pensions and Social Security. My bosses and coworkers really don't want me around anymore, they would love it if I would just disappear. I am known behind closed doors as the deadwood in the office. They don't think I am adding value to the organization and don't fit in with the increasingly young employees. I am an outsider looking in trying to do the best job I can and survive week to week. But my job is protected by civil service and union rules.

I am trying hard to do a good job but maybe the world of work has passed me by.

Maybe you are asking why I just don't retire and call it a career. Well, I have a one-word answer: MONEY! I can't afford to retire until I am eligible for Social Security and my two pensions. That magic date will be October 24th, 2020. I don't have enough savings to bridge that gap and quit today and survive. (Due to a divorce, medical expenses and financial mistakes.)

Can you relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

13,370 posts, read 25,673,439 times
Sure. Now, my bosses didn't want me to go, because no one wanted my job and I always worked extra for the money (night charge RN in a big psychiatric hospital). I was worried about leaving my community of people on the night shift, but they sent me off so warmly and in style that I had good resolution of those years.
But the work and the hours? I actually retired a few months short of 65, and it did cost me a lot of money, but I was on a schedule involving a new house 2200 miles away, wanting to move in the right season, timing. I did fear dropping dead at the job because of the hours and the degree of exhaustion I was feeling.

If I hadn't been moving, I could have stayed part-time for another year and been in clover financially. You do what you have to do. It's great knowing the end is in sight, though. If you have pride, you do a good job anyway, and it's easier knowing the time is ticking toward retirement.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

841 posts, read 185,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
Before you retired did you feel like you were hanging on a string and counting down the days before you could quit work?
Can you relate?
No. Not even. If you like what you do, you'll never "work" a day in your life. Work isn't prison to the extent that the day you retire is the day you are set free. A lot of people stop being retired and go back to work or maybe some other easy job part time. Sitting around the house sucks. Most people hate fishing and golf.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

465 posts, read 833,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
No. Not even. If you like what you do, you'll never "work" a day in your life. Work isn't prison to the extent that the day you retire is the day you are set free. A lot of people stop being retired and go back to work or maybe some other easy job part time. Sitting around the house sucks. Most people hate fishing and golf.
Yeah, interesting as I had an early "retirement" from my State job at age 49. I wasn't quite set financially so I knew I needed to get work again at some point but I took a good year off. It was nice but the novelty wore off in about 6 months. That "free" feeling was immediately gratifying but fades. Found a job where I was working even HARDER than my old job but it is very satisfying. Now, 8 years later I find myself wondering when to go for "good". But I need the structure. Basically, I need a better plan for what I will do with my time when I DO get out of the workforce. Probably something part-time just to add that structure.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

6,767 posts, read 3,749,609 times
Quote:
Before you retired did you feel like you were hanging on a string and counting down the days before you could quit work? Every week you survived at the job was a notch on your belt?
October 2020 isn't all that far off. You can make it.
I had what I considered a dream job for many years. It was a political environment and eventually, it went bad with the appointment of a new and incompetent Director. I was high enough in the organization to be impacted daily by the incompetence and new expectations that bordered on unethical actions...certainly unprofessional. I was the numbers guy and the Director wanted them fudged. I was able to tone down the unethical behaviors with reasonable responses and some compromise for a while but our relationship was going downhill. There was no way to get rid of me. That frustrated the Director to the point that we were hardly speaking by the time I retired and she was a no-show at my retirement (a good thing). There was a new retirement formula put into place that was intended to entice the "deadwood" to retire. I was 52 and qualified under the formula so set my retirement date and took time off for some elective surgery and regaining my health. That left enough time for some housecleaning and review of projects that would be turned over to my successor (poor guy). There were several people at my level who left at the same time. The Director lasted about a year longer before being found out and replaced. I was recruited to be a contractor but refused the offer and never went back.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 412,111 times
Nope. I do less now but am appreciated more for my expertise. It helps that I enjoy the work and don't actually need to work at this point.

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,132,628 times
Quote:

Basically I am just hanging on at work and financially counting down the months I can retire and collect my pensions and Social Security. My bosses and coworkers really don't want me around anymore, they would love it if I would just disappear. I am known behind closed doors as the deadwood in the office. They don't think I am adding value to the organization and don't fit in with the increasingly young employees. I am an outsider looking in trying to do the best job I can and survive week to week. But my job is protected by civil service and union rules.

Maybe you are asking why I just don't retire and call it a career. Well, I have a one-word answer: MONEY! I can't afford to retire until I am eligible for Social Security and my two pensions. That magic date will be October 24th, 2020. I don't have enough savings to bridge that gap and quit today and survive. (Due to a divorce, medical expenses and financial mistakes.)

Can you relate?
I understand completely!! The company I work for no longer wants older workers and is actively looking for reasons to terminate them. I also have union protection but it has become a toxic environment.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

6,900 posts, read 1,461,416 times
That is the position my husband is in, except that he is still appreciated at his job and even just got a raise. We are retiring out of state in August or September next year (hopefully) and moving into the new custom home we designed, and we are looking forward to it so much that the days are just dragging now. (It doesn't help that we also are having a very hot August, which we hate.)

It is almost like being little kids on about December 18th and feeling that Christmas won't ever get here!

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

18,943 posts, read 9,756,665 times
Quote:

Can you relate?
I can relate. Every day I worked the last few years, I felt like I earned enough for 2 days in retirement.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

8,837 posts, read 10,917,281 times
I only work Per Diem, but am counting down the days, months till I can get rid of that, too. It's hard to be tolerant of certain things after a while. You just don't want to deal w/ it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or