U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM

4,492 posts, read 2,662,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
The media is full of stories about how we are living longer. The newspaper stories always talk about the people who are living healthy comfortable lives in their 90s and 100s. Even posters on this board have got into the act and are always telling us that if you are a married couple in retirement there is a 50% chance one of you will live past 90 years old.

But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement? Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?

I have no expectations of life at any time.

Why,?

Well, if youve read my history on here, you will know i died in my 30s during the mid 90s. I was clinically dead for 7mins, 40secs, had the 4th shock not worked, i would not be here posting. Im already on borrowed time.
On another forum I'm on, one of the guys celebrates his "second birthday "...on the date he was revived on the operating table after he died during surgery.

Health??. Hah, thats a laugh. I was also medically retired at age of 40 on SSDI.
I spend more total time in the drs offices than the doctors do!!!!

I'm at physical therapy as i type this. Estim electrodes attached to my neck and shoulder right now, fir 15 mins.5mins, 32 secs left, 30, 28....

Monday (3 days ago) i went to the hospitals radiology/surgical proceedure floroscope room to get injections in my hips. 2 and 3 weeks ago i had nerve blocks done on my knees.

I forgot my morphine script at home, just refilled it. It helps and id be lost and in great pain if i didnt have it, but right now the fresh/new bottle is at home. Grr need to reload my emergency prescription container i carry with me at all times. Grrr.

Now, i don't tske life for granted. But i also have no expectations of life, long short or in between.

I know what i know about dying, and im prepared to do so at least once more!!

But a long retirement, well except for working some part time, ive already had 15 years of "retirement " already.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 11:05 AM

14,495 posts, read 7,996,851 times
People in my gene pool don't make it out of their 60's. My mother died around 62 from breast cancer that came back twice. Her mother died at 29 from either uterine or cervical cancer. He father died around 64. My father died at 48 (alcohol and cigarettes) His father died when my father was a baby in a car accident. It's a crap shoot for me. I could go in a couple of years or in 20 years. Who knows.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:12 AM

5,324 posts, read 8,407,356 times
Based on health and family history, I expect 30 to 40 years in retirement, in decent to good health. So, I'm planning that I may live to 105.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:05 PM

3,649 posts, read 926,672 times
In all my calculations, I plan for at least 100. But ideally I want to have a plan for perpetuity. Some form of pension or assets substantial enough to live off of the gains.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:25 PM

33 posts, read 14,574 times
I expect to live long enough that the check to the undertaker will bounce. But, with all these medical bills that might not be too long.��

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

9,106 posts, read 7,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I doubt that either John or Jesus will come to your house and change your diapers.
I agree.....

Old Today, 04:09 AM

266 posts, read 45,583 times
I originally put together a retirement plan to cover to my age 94 & DW 96, about the max ages I expected and reflects over 30 years in retirement. But I realized that once I was past about 70, my projected income from pensions & SS was higher than even a generous expenses estimate. Essentially. expected income from pension and SS are higher than expected expense's. A sustainable almost forever, less than 4% income from investment was only needed to delay to reach max SS payment at 70. So didn't matter - could put our age as 100, 120, 200 - my DW and I are still ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or