U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:48 AM

18,936 posts, read 9,749,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
The media is full of stories about how we are living longer. The newspaper stories always talk about the people who are living healthy comfortable lives in their 90s and 100s. Even posters on this board have got into the act and are always telling us that if you are a married couple in retirement there is a 50% chance one of you will live past 90 years old.

But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement? Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?
Between 20-30 would be my guess. I plan to be healthy as long as possible and taking steps to try to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:55 AM

4,353 posts, read 2,644,883 times
I am after quality not quantity so don't really care how many years I have left. I am very happy with my life to date and anything further I get is just icing on the cake. But for various reasons I would be surprised if I make it to 80, which is just 12 years away.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

2,475 posts, read 3,691,970 times
Default Two of my Car Friends at Sunday's event

The two got around to discussing ages at the Sunday event. The first guy stated that 1942 was a very good year. The second said he had the first beat by six years.

So the two are 77 and 83. The 83 year old bought a convertible with a 6-speed Stick in the Spring of this year on an impulse, and said he has been retired for 21 years. The 77 year old spent his career in the Auto Industry so it is possible he has been retired just as long, and his auto choices are similar.

I thought I qualified as being slightly crazy when I bought an older convertible with a 5-speed Stick six years ago at age 57!

Old Today, 11:58 AM

32,081 posts, read 20,201,242 times
For planning purposes, the age of 85 is what I use. I feel that for myself, that may be optimistic, I'm a parade of autoimmune problems, I think it is more reasonable for DH.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 12:05 PM

4,719 posts, read 3,288,681 times
Having no close relationships, family or friends, I've been thinking lately no one will care one way or the other. So the more I think about it, what is there to look forward to?

Life has been pretty disappointing to me, but then probably mostly my own fault.

When my time comes I hope it's fast, painless, and I didn't have to think about it.

Old Today, 12:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 6,492,419 times
Longevity calculator says 94 for me. I suspect, it will be around 84-85, I read my own fortune years ago using date of birth and stuff. With modern medicine it’s probably push to 90.

Old Today, 01:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 603,868 times
Hubby and I both have health issues, so I am guessing middle 70's, which is lower than all our relatives who lived to old age. We are trying to enjoy life right now, in the present. Our budget is modest, compared to many on this retirement forum, but we try to spend sensibly.

Old Today, 01:46 PM

1,753 posts, read 636,959 times
No idea, obviously. Grandparents died at 99, 90, 71 and 67. Both parents alive and active in their mid-80s. If this is for financial planning purposes, my only somewhat expensive recreational interest is travel, and I expect to stop pursuing that after 88 (if I am still alive). Since I am 59 now, I therefore plan for 30 more years of active life (if I live that long), and a very simple life after that if I get to be very old. My grandpa who lived to be 99 walked 5+ miles daily til 6 weeks before his death, so I have to assure that I live somewhere walkable :-). If I die at 67 like my other grandpa, oh well... there is nothing special to plan for in case of an early death, planning is obviously always for the longest possible case scenario.

Old Today, 02:03 PM

9,090 posts, read 7,842,747 times
Start here:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/population/longevity.html

Old Today, 02:16 PM

4,090 posts, read 1,152,853 times
I wrote an "Advance directive" about 20 years ago. I specified that I wanted no heroic measures be taken at the end. I just want to be comfortable with enough good drugs to get me by until the end. The directive was signed by me and witnessed by my co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or