U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

30,782 posts, read 49,649,409 times

Advertisements

3 out of 4 grandparents all lived into their mid-90s.

My parents lived into their mid-90s.

I expect to live to at least 95.

So by that rationale, I expect to be retired on pension for 53 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

8,033 posts, read 5,108,136 times
This grand obsession with long-life is odd, incomprehensible to me. Really, are we all so blissfully serene, so fond of life, so much agog over the novelty and entertainments, the photo-ops on cruises, river-banks and city squares, with fulsome smiles and bucket-lists fulfilled?

Financially I plan for infinite retirement, not for any lust for immortality, but to maximally arrange matters, that my consumption always trails the portfolio’s growth. Whether this is realizable is of course a matter of debate.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

2,361 posts, read 603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
How long do you expect to be alive in retirement?
The best current estimate is about 42 years in total. I started early.

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?[/quote]

I don't have a bucket list. I do stuff I want to do.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

5,898 posts, read 4,910,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Well, my goal is to live 33 years (or more) in retirement. And I didn't pick that number out of a hat. I worked for Uncle Sam for 33 years, and retired when I was 55. I'd like to have as many years in retirement as I did working for that retirement.

Financially, we should be okay. Both my wife and I have good pensions. We saved, made reasonably good decisions along the way, our health is good (knock on wood), and while we should exercise more, neither of us smokes nor drinks, and that helps our overall life expectancy.

But really, if I could influence either the quantity or quality of the years I have left, I'd go with quality. Let me have good years; let me and my wife enjoy reasonably good health up to the end; and let us go quickly, without fuss, and with no regrets.
Amen to that!

According to the SS prediction, I'll live to 86. So that would be 35 years of retirement. I'm in better health than I ought to be probably, so I hope it will be mostly good years. DH is very healthy, despite a diagnosis that portends some issues at some point. As long as things stay in their current indolent phase, he could make it to 85 or even 90. His mom passed at 91, but was in sort of mid-level dementia. My mom died at 65, primarily due to the effects of smoking and untreated diabetes. Bio-dad is still going at 78, but with bad OA.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

4,003 posts, read 2,920,386 times
Has the great philosopher Jimmy Buffet been quoted in this thread yet?

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; Yesterday at 01:02 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,654,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
But really, if I could influence either the quantity or quality of the years I have left, I'd go with quality. Let me have good years; let me and my wife enjoy reasonably good health up to the end; and let us go quickly, without fuss, and with no regrets.
Great post! This is the bottom line for me: quality vs quantity. Good health as long as it lasts, and at the end, make it fast. When our number comes up, it comes up, so do all the things you can while your health is good and as you said, have no regrets at the end.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

1,122 posts, read 541,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This grand obsession with long-life is odd, incomprehensible to me. Really, are we all so blissfully serene, so fond of life, so much agog over the novelty and entertainments, the photo-ops on cruises, river-banks and city squares, with fulsome smiles and bucket-lists fulfilled?

Financially I plan for infinite retirement, not for any lust for immortality, but to maximally arrange matters, that my consumption always trails the portfolio’s growth. Whether this is realizable is of course a matter of debate.
I find it odd too. I think it’s either fear or denial. It certainly isn’t rational thought.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

22,703 posts, read 11,698,551 times
I hope to drop dead playing basketball at 80

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

8,849 posts, read 10,920,656 times
Probably longer than I can afford to.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

691 posts, read 868,944 times
I'm 76 and have been retired since I was 61. I have no great desire to live to be really old- late 80s+. If I have 10 or so more years that is probably enough or me. I've had a fortunate life in many ways- wonderful childhood, good marriage, a satisfying relationship with significant other for the last 15+ years, and enough money to have a few- not a lot- of options and choices. Growing very old is about more losses, and , if a choice, not what I want .

Catsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or