U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 PM

780 posts, read 1,859,088 times

Advertisements

I’m 70 and retired 22 years ago. My spouse is 70 and retired (the first time) the year before I did. Retirement has been good and seems to be getting better. Think we will just hang around as long as we can without being a burden on our daughter. If the doctors keep getting smarter, maybe the two of us will make it to more than a hundred—I’d like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:31 PM

14,104 posts, read 20,540,002 times
Retired at age 70.5
Planned death age is 95

Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 AM

87 posts, read 20,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Iím 70 and retired 22 years ago. My spouse is 70 and retired (the first time) the year before I did. Retirement has been good and seems to be getting better. Think we will just hang around as long as we can without being a burden on our daughter. If the doctors keep getting smarter, maybe the two of us will make it to more than a hundredóIíd like that.
Wow, that's super, retired at 48 for you! We are low 60's, newly "semi retired". Husband 40 years in corporate life, it was time!
Can't wait for our new adventure, moving south to Orlando from the Northeast. Been in Northeast our whole lives, tired of the cold snowy winters! Hoping to live as long as we are vibrant and healthy.
Looking forward to Orlando weather to capitalize on walking which we love, more outdoor fitness!

Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 AM

6,912 posts, read 3,854,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
The media is full of stories about how we are living longer. The newspaper stories always talk about the people who are living healthy comfortable lives in their 90s and 100s. Even posters on this board have got into the act and are always telling us that if you are a married couple in retirement there is a 50% chance one of you will live past 90 years old.

But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement? Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?
I expect to live to 94 or 95. I base this on the fact that my grandmothers lived to their late 80's. (My mother died at 68, but that was a special situation.)

I hope I don't live longer, because I won't have the money to. I also don't want to live longer than that. I really don't want to live even to 94 or 95.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 AM

290 posts, read 113,535 times
My "plan" is for both of us to make it to 95, but I seriously doubt that will happen. If we end up leaving money on the table, a good charity will be happy.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:33 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,285,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I retired the day I graduated from college. The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.
WTF? Really? I donít know where or what you went to school for or what you did for a career, but the 4 years of university life were the best of my entire life. I LOVED every minute of it, and if I could have afforded to, I would have been a student forever. I went to one of the top & toughest engineering schools in the US and the hardest day in school didnít even remotely compare to an even average day at work in my engineering career, and I had a very nice career.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:36 AM

4,246 posts, read 1,901,204 times
I have no idea, but if knew when I was gonna croak, I'd buy a Rolls and drive it around until I couldn't.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 AM

582 posts, read 276,536 times
How many years do you expect to live in retirement?

As many are possible and I refuse to waste any of that time wondering how much time I have left.

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.”
― Bill Keane

Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM

6,991 posts, read 1,486,269 times
Based on family history and current health, I will probably live to at least 90 and will probably FULLY retire next year at age 66, so about 25 years of retirement. (Three out of four of my grandparents lived to age 92, and the fourth one lived to 79, and my mother is 86 and still active and living in her own own home.)

However, m husband is almost 63, and he has already lived past his parents' age at death, but three out of his grandparents lived to their 80's, so I don't think one can count on family history as a reliable guide. However, he is overweight and sedentary, although he watches his weight and eats fairly healthy -- he just needs to exercise much more. We are hoping that he will live at least to age 75 and enjoy at least a dozen years of retirement.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM

8,865 posts, read 10,934,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Your parents longevity are not necessarily yours. My MIL died at 67 just 2 years after her mom died at 89.
Right. It's your own lifestyle that's more related to how old you'll be when you pass. Genetics is about 25 %, but they don't understand the full picture it plays.
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/longevity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or