Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,415 times

Advertisements

Both of our Dad's died in their 70s, my husband is 65 and will retire next year. My Mom was in her 80s when she passed, his Mom is still alive. Don't know what to expect, take it as it comes but I'm excited for when my husband retires and hope we get a good number of years. But who knows..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Despite expectations, no one knows how long they are going to live, or how long they will remain healthy. A sixty year old person might expect to live until ninety but drop dead before reaching sixty-one. I have no expectations to live until ninety, nor do I have a desire to live that long. I'm currently sixty-five and hope to depart this world and go home to be with the Lord before becoming physically or mentally incapacitated. I do hope to be healthy for as long as I do live. I have no bucket list.
Everyone needs a planning horizon. I have been retired for 5 years, and am still in excellent health, no meds, no disability. I still know it's coming. One of my friends is the same age I am and retired after 20 years as a hospice nurse. She points out that this is our last good decade, when we can still go hiking, canoeing, dancing, party all night, etc. By the time we are in our 80s it will become progressively more difficult. By the time we reach our 90s, the debility of old age will have claimed our lives.

It is very unusual to stay fit and healthy for as long as you live. A massive heart attack or stroke might take you out with your boots on, and you can always hope for that. They found my mother's best friend on the back porch with her boot laces still in her hands. We should all be so lucky. It's more likely we will become sickly, limited, and possibly in pain before our passing.

You have to plan for your care when you are no longer able to do it yourself.

In response to the original question, I plan on a total 25 years in retirement. I have remodeled the master bedroom to be handicap accessible, and plan to have a CNA come in daily if necessary, and to hire someone to maintain the yard. Other than a paint job, I don't think the house will need any repairs before I am gone.

If worst comes to worst, I can sell the place and use the money for assisted living/nursing care.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
John 11:25-26 -- “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. "
I doubt that either John or Jesus will come to your house and change your diapers.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:28 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Every day I thank God for a another day.
It is not a debt He owes me, but that I owe Him , His love and intervention in my life lead me to believe that I could live as long as He will's it, and no more no less.
WE are all as individual as our DNA , there is no fate , there is careless, and murder and theft .
God does not stop men from the things they do, except in His choosing .
I can say freely I though I'd never live past 40 or 30 for that matter, but I'm 69 this year , been retired since 62. my body just couldn't take it any more, I did heavy work most of my life and can't do the work I love doing . I do what I can but it's limited.
Dad almost made 90,out lived his siblings and my mom as well .
I am no miracle of modern science , the only time I go to a hospital is taking my friends .I don't buy the fear mongering of flu shots , I take care of my self, and what I can't do God does for me. And that's the way it will be till I die.
And if I died 30 years ago I would be satisfied with my life, but I'm here now, and happy with what God has given me. .
I would invite you to view the you tube for Near Death Experience.
For the thousands that have this event it is at least worth the visit.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:31 AM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Everyone needs a planning horizon. I have been retired for 5 years, and am still in excellent health, no meds, no disability. I still know it's coming. One of my friends is the same age I am and retired after 20 years as a hospice nurse. She points out that this is our last good decade, when we can still go hiking, canoeing, dancing, party all night, etc. By the time we are in our 80s it will become progressively more difficult. By the time we reach our 90s, the debility of old age will have claimed our lives.

It is very unusual to stay fit and healthy for as long as you live. A massive heart attack or stroke might take you out with your boots on, and you can always hope for that. They found my mother's best friend on the back porch with her boot laces still in her hands. We should all be so lucky. It's more likely we will become sickly, limited, and possibly in pain before our passing.

You have to plan for your care when you are no longer able to do it yourself.

In response to the original question, I plan on a total 25 years in retirement. I have remodeled the master bedroom to be handicap accessible, and plan to have a CNA come in daily if necessary, and to hire someone to maintain the yard. Other than a paint job, I don't think the house will need any repairs before I am gone.

If worst comes to worst, I can sell the place and use the money for assisted living/nursing care.
If, or when I can no longer care for myself, it will be time for me to die.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
John 11:25-26 -- “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. "
How does that relate to retirement? Jesus had this to say about being a good investor:

It is a simple story that our Lord tells here. A man who is preparing to leave on a journey entrusts his possessions to his servants. He distributes his wealth among three servants, apportioned to them on the basis of their abilities. To the first he entrusted five talents, to the second two talents, and to the third one talent. The first two servants quickly272 set to work with their master’s money. The third servant did not invest his master’s money at all; he dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money. When the master returned, the first two eagerly met their master, apparently delighted in the opportunity to multiply their master’s money.273 Both were commended as “good and faithful servants”; both were rewarded with increased responsibilities in their master’s service; both were invited to share in their master’s joy.

Even Christians need to be financially prepared!

Myself, I hope to go before the 80s but here, caregiving help is very affordable. So, less than 20 years.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
I want to be like this guy - skiing at 100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A86qIlyJAUY

Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
I don't expect to retire as long as I am healthy and my wife is healthy.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
20+/-

Old 08-08-2019, 10:39 AM

59 posts, read 43,501 times
My Dad got 25 years of retirement, although dementia took it's tool the last 3-5--so I guess he got 20 GOOD years of retirement. He was very active, loved taking his long walks and a regular at the gym (although I suspect he enjoyed socializing more than working out the last few years he went).

I am hoping I can be so lucky to have that quality 20 years or so my Dad did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement