U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM

5,499 posts, read 2,802,977 times

Advertisements

I got things other people wanted me to have. Very rarely did I get what I wanted, even if I was asked. So I got clothes and dolls and games when I wanted model horses and dollhouses and books. I still laugh at my grandmother's reaction to asking what I wanted for Christmas: a model horse. Her reply? "Oh, no, you don't want that, you already have so many!" (I had three) Don't you just love being told what you don't want? And as a child, it was twice as infuriating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My poor Mom Never seemed to learn what I liked for a present. I remember getting new dolls and putting them immediately in my toy box in the basement. All I ever wanted was Breyer horses or anything related to horses. Ideally I would have gotten a real horse, but it wouldn't have fit in our suburban back yard.
We must be sisters, separated at birth. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM

5,499 posts, read 2,802,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
My dad forbade the celebration of birthdays and Christmas. If I complained, my gift was a spanking.
Do you celebrate birthdays and Christmas today?

Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM

576 posts, read 274,878 times
When I was very young I usually got a doll, tea set, car coat (as they called it back then) and some other sort of clothing. I remember I got a transistor radio when I was about 10 and that was my favorite thing! I hung it from the handlebars on my bike to listen to while I rode around, of course I got a bike one year. As I got older I got mostly clothes. When I was 15 I got a tape player/recorder and clothes. When I was 16 I got a pearl ring and clothes.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,111,345 times
I don't remember too many presents, although I did get them. One memorable disappointment, the year after my mom died and my dad was buying presents. I wanted a flute - a silver flute. No idea why, I didn't play it, I played piano. But the way some little girls want ballet slippers even though they don't dance. I got a plastic, multi-colored toy that you blew into and pressed keys.

One present that does stand out, and I wish I still had it. My mom used to sew for me, and had made a velvet party dress. That Christmas morning when I came downstairs, sitting on the couch was a 18" fashion doll with a 1800's era outfit made of the same fabric - dress, bonnet, and cape.

Relatives outside of immediate family might send a card with $1. With the exception of one wonderful aunt, who sent a check for THREE dollars. Now that was something. (I was born in mid 1950's).

Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

7,976 posts, read 4,883,387 times
I don't remember many gifts but I think they were mostly clothes.

At some point, my sister and I started receiving identical gifts. I think the idea was to quash criticism from family that my mother was favoring my sister. If we got the same thing -- even if it was something neither of us wanted or asked for -- she couldn't be accused of favoritism. I guess she dropped that pretense later when she made out her will and bequeathed everything to my sister.

I did get a welcome clothing gift one year when I came home from college for Christmas but it wasn't from family -- it was from my boyfriend. He bought me a warm coat with a fake fur collar. That I remember clearly. I cried when I opened it and saw what it was.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

1,019 posts, read 623,623 times
For my birthdays my mom or grandmother always baked a cake, and presents would be small gifts like a coloring book with new crayons, or some other small toy from the 5&10 store. Christmas would always include a pair of new PJs, boots, and a new winter hat and coat if needed. Toy type gifts could usually be one big gift like a sled, new ice skates, or a new doll and always a stocking filled with candy, pencils, and other trinkets.

Although I never felt deprived, the one gift I always wanted and not sure why Santa never brought it was a Raggedy Ann doll. When my SO and I first started dating we got on the subject of Christmas toys and I must have told him about never getting a Raggedy Ann doll. So he filed that info away for future reference and our 1st Christmas together his gift to me was a Raggedy Ann doll which meant more to me than diamonds.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

14,154 posts, read 7,564,016 times
I have the 8mm home movies of the Christmas greed. I remember hating getting clothes. I wanted toys.

From age 6, I was fascinated with lawn mowers. My birthday is in May. I always wanted a lawn mower. My father was more than happy to comply.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

1,760 posts, read 617,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
When I was very young I usually got a doll, tea set, car coat (as they called it back then)
OMG now there is a real blast from the past, LOL! You're right -- I had completely forgotten about "car coats"!

I've remembered a couple of other now-defunct names for things (like "housecoat" and "dungarees") but car coats was one I'd forgotten. Thanks! :-)

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

1,760 posts, read 617,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
One memorable disappointment, the year after my mom died and my dad was buying presents. I wanted a flute - a silver flute. No idea why, I didn't play it, I played piano. But the way some little girls want ballet slippers even though they don't dance. I got a plastic, multi-colored toy that you blew into and pressed keys.

I had the exact same experience and the same outcome! I was soooooo disappointed.

I never played an instrument but for some reason thought it would be wonderful to be able to play a flute. Probably would have been just as inept at it as I was at everything else either musical or athletic, but I was I was so bummed with the tacky substitute that I immediately abandoned the idea, LOL

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

5,383 posts, read 1,338,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I got a Think-A-Tron computer
This is great! What year roughly? And what did it DO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or