Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You must come from a family of data points.
That’s not a data point. Just saying what I do for people without husband in respond to your comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I agree with the over-medication situation. I know people taking 12 to 14 meds per day, some of them multiple times per day. I don't know how they keep track! For my mom, they kept adding new meds to help with the side effects of the prior meds, instead of finding a better med that didn't CAUSE any side effects. It became a medication snowball. But preventative care, getting your screenings and vaccines, is different. It's taking care of yourself BEFORE you have a problem, so you don't HAVE TO take meds or get surgery because you eliminated the problem before it occurred, or before it was too bad to treat with proper diet and physical therapy/exercise.

I know people who are all hot to get knee replacement surgery, but I personally would do almost anything to avoid that surgery because all surgery has risks, and I've also personally seen some very bad outcomes. That's not to say anyone in particular would have a bad outcome, but why not take steps to avoid that if possible? If there are intermediate measures to be taken, why avoid them and allow the problem to worsen to the point that surgery is the only option?

Old 08-08-2019, 09:17 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Too many meds affect your GI plus they have side effects, more prevalent as you age because your kidneys and liver don't clear them as well. So, less is best. I know one gerontologist who takes people in their 90's off of some of their meds, keeping just the essential ones.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Did I mention.statistics? I provided 2 data points. But I disagree about lucky. Years ago, when I was younger, I had bronchitis often, I was sick with flu often. Somehow, after I received lots of acupuncture’s from my doctor, my immune system got better. As a result, I haven’t got sick for at least 10-15 years without flu shots.
And I have to tell you, I understand. Years ago, when I weighed about 90 pounds more, I had Dr. after Dr. trying to convince me to get bariatric surgery.

I would not do it. And I wouldn’t do it, because I knew three people who had the surgery who had really bad outcomes. One of them died about six months after having the surgery from a heart attack, probably not related, but she did lose the weight very very quickly, one of whom was sick for almost a year afterwards and looked terrible, and another one who died about a year and a half later after complication after complication after complication. There was no way in “H-E-double hockey sticks” that I was going to do the surgery.

If I was going to do it I was going to lose weight the hard way and it’s wasn’t easy. But I made lifestyle changes that have held.

Dr. after Dr. told me the statistics on the surgery were nothing like I experienced via the people I knew. This is what we call confirmation bias. I probably being a very healthy person, albeit heavy, could have had that surgery and been perfectly fine, but because I saw people around me who I assumed to be to the same as me have a horrible outcome — it confirmed to me I wasn’t going to do it, that it was very dangerous.

That’s the problem with confirmation bias. During my husband’s illness with glioblastoma, I avoided looking it up on the Internet. Glioblastoma is essentially 100% fatal within usually around three years, the five-year survival rate is like 5%.

But the internet is FILLED with happy survival stories

Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Are you in your 30s or so. If yes, take this time to get control of your health. See here i am telling someone what to do -

But seriously - the younger you are, the easier it is to stay and get in shape.
I could drop some pounds, but it's not like I'm so heavy I can't get around.

I'd like to get back down to 210-220. I weighed 242 this morning, which is the lowest I've weighed in several months. I've cut back my beer consumption by at least half this week and walked/ellipticaled nearly five miles Monday and six miles Tuesday.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Did I say they were equivalent or you just made it up for a quarrel. And what the heck is surrounded by immigrants, we’re in California, there all kinds of immigrants here, unless you mean illegal immigrants. Which is which for you? Tit for Tat.
I have since read some of your posts and think some of your responses lack context so they are perceived as a rebuttal to the post you are responding to. Apparently a poster's remark triggers a related thought for you but your post is not intended as a rebuttal. Am I understanding correctly?

As an example of what I mean by context, when I responded to your post, I clarified that my post wasn't intended to refute what you said.

"Not suggesting this is the case with you and your sister but there is a case to be made for getting flu shots."

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-08-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 12:25 PM

521 posts, read 733,191 times
As a RN I do get annoyed when people don't take responsibility for their health. So many diseases and conditions are preventative and can also snowball into other ailments so quickly. The main issue is obesity. So I do nag my family, well mainly tell them to watch their weight and diet. I may be getting burned out but really have no sympathy for people who don't take care of themselves.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
My wife and I are both 30. After both of us having horrible experiences with the side effects of prescription medications, we are at an understanding if we fall ill and do not want to initiate or continue treatment.

Having seen two of my grandparents pass due to cancer (each from a second recurrence in an area not local to the first, averaging 13 years from the time of the first occurrence) the resounding lesson was the regret of undergoing chemotherapy at an advanced age, which actually killed them sooner than the cancer would have.

Chemotherapy may sometimes buy time, too, but in either case, it also almost kills the patient. It is very much a "sink or swim" imposed upon the body. This should be considered before agreeing to treatment.

-----

I don't feel I have the right to *demand* that someone seek treatment for anything.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times
I haven't read all six pages, but I'm of the mind, let people live their lives.

Want to smoke, it's ok with me. Don't want to go to the doctor, it's ok with me. It's your life, not mine.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I haven't read all six pages, but I'm of the mind, let people live their lives.

Want to smoke, it's ok with me. Don't want to go to the doctor, it's ok with me. It's your life, not mine.
If one wants to smoke and not take care of their health then pay the trooper when the health goes south and one is hit with cancers. At least taking care of yourself one has a fighting chance to keep healthy ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement