U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:25 PM

679 posts, read 201,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If one wants to smoke and not take care of their health then pay the trooper when the health goes south and one is hit with cancers. At least taking care of yourself one has a fighting chance to keep healthy ..
My own experience is that "nagging" is often counterproductive - if you want to change someone else's behavior, about all you can do is promote a more positive "culture" for that person, and through "leading by example", but not shaming their behaviors. Bottom line: influence, but don't preach. Believe me, most people are aware of their own bad habits (especially overeating) and wish they could change. About all you can do is offer healthy alternatives ("Let's join a gym together so we can hang out more") via your friendship. But mostly, "You can lead a horse to water..." applies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:49 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,913,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I haven't read all six pages, but I'm of the mind, let people live their lives.

Want to smoke, it's ok with me. Don't want to go to the doctor, it's ok with me. It's your life, not mine.
Does that include those you love deeply? Does it include problems that are generally treatable for those you care about? Seems a pretty cavalier attitude, but hey it's your friends and family, not mine.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,289,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I have great health and zero history of illness, smoking, drinking, etc. I'm 73.

I really resent it when someone insists that I get a flu shot, or take part in some of these screening events that pop up now and then. Some people need those things, but probably most do not. Once they get on Medicare, some people have this idea that just because the coverage is there, they must use it, even if nothing is really wrong.

If your weight is normal, your diet is excellent, you stay active physically and mentally, and you feel well, do not be guilt tripped into having unnecessary medical procedures done just because some non-medical person thinks you should. Think for yourself.
I'd think that (bolded) scenario would be one that is most often "recommended" by the Docs. I can't go a few months without the clinic calling, it's reminiscent of the PBS begathons, "it's time again to contribute dear patrons etc." If they can't find anything, they may insist on more tests, and after awhile they (and the testing docs) have enough of your money to make the entire testing mania seem like a great revenue stream..

Old Today, 03:33 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,461,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Does that include those you love deeply? Does it include problems that are generally treatable for those you care about? Seems a pretty cavalier attitude, but hey it's your friends and family, not mine.
Yes and no. I've told people "once" what I thought, and left it there. A neighbor of ours has a doper daughter. They spent tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars getting her treatment.

Guess what, she's still a doper, except now her parents are losing their home.

No thanks.

Old Today, 05:43 PM

2,537 posts, read 1,112,525 times
When I see someone who has young kids smoking, I let them know what it was like to lose my mom to cancer at age 9 (and she didn't smoke). Some are shocked. One said, "At least it's not crack".

BTW, I mean people I know pretty well, not random people at large.

But I will just mention it once, not nag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement