Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 05:26 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We have three dogs: 14, 14 and 10 years old. We are both 60. I'd like to adopt another kitty, our last one died a few years ago, but my better half says no because cats live to be around 17 years old and we are too old now to make that long term commitment. I agree....sadly.

We will continue to foster animals for the shelter and give them a loving temporary home, but when our three, very loved, geriatric dogs die we won't have pets of our own.
Glad you will foster and yes I totally understand both your points of view. Our dog is 13 and I would love a puppy but my better half agrees with yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 05:29 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
As this is a retirement forum, the chances are a baby pet will outlive most of us. As we age, if we feel the need for a pet, consider adopting an older one that you will/may outlive. Maybe even when that an elderly person left behind due to their death or placement where they could not have a pet.

I worry more about what will happen to my cat when I die as the what will happen to my son. My son will be upset and sad but he will understand and will have my money. My poor cat will not understand and she will need a new home.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:32 PM

18,076 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Pet ownership is a privilege (IMO) but also a sacrifice and it does tie one down, unless you have a pet that can travel with you or family to help when you aren't able to be there. I want my pets to have the best lives they can, not only their physical needs but emotional needs too.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 AM

586 posts, read 314,422 times
No pets here. I'm allergic to cats and, for reasons going back to her childhood, my wife will not have a dog.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:13 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As this is a retirement forum, the chances are a baby pet will outlive most of us. As we age, if we feel the need for a pet, consider adopting an older one that you will/may outlive. Maybe even when that an elderly person left behind due to their death or placement where they could not have a pet.

I worry more about what will happen to my cat when I die as the what will happen to my son. My son will be upset and sad but he will understand and will have my money. My poor cat will not understand and she will need a new home.
With one exception for the last 10 years, our dog with mental and physical health issues, we have adopted shelter animals over 7 years old. they have all been wonderful companions, but they weren't likely to be adopted. older pets get euthanized for being old. that is the sad truth and why we won't own any pets after our current, beloved pets die.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-14-2019 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 PM

352 posts, read 262,814 times
We lost our dog a few months ago. Broke my heart because it made everything seem so final because we had already discussed not getting another dog and if we do it would be a few years. I have missed him so much and just miss having a dog altogether. In the 38 years we have been married we have never not had a dog and cat. We have 2 cats now, one we got just a few months ago as a kitten. So that has helped some with the loss of our dog. We will retire in 3 years and I don't want to get another dog until we are able to be home with one and train him. I would love another dog, but it was heartbreaking watching his health deteriorate, and we didn't go out of town much because of him. I know at some point we will have another dog. Right now my heart isn't open to another dog, I just miss him too much. I can't ever imagine not having some kind of pet though. Once we retire, get some traveling under our belt, I will have another dog.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Canine and feline lover here; and yay is the word. I am considering a codicil to my will to ensure that Dumpling, if I should predecease her, would reside in a no-kill shelter, and that a part of my estate bequeathed to that shelter for the care and maintenance of her and other lovely souls.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:13 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Canine and feline lover here; and yay is the word. I am considering a codicil to my will to ensure that Dumpling, if I should predecease her, would reside in a no-kill shelter, and that a part of my estate bequeathed to that shelter for the care and maintenance of her and other lovely souls.
No, "yea" is the word. The OP used the correct wordage. It's always "yea or nay" when voting.

It's "yea" for voting (Yea or Nay); it signifies affirmation. That is, exclaiming "Yea!" is equivalent to exclaiming "Yes!"; it's a word, not simply a noise.

And "yay!" is an exclamation meaning the same as "hooray!".

Just because some people out there want to change things in language doesn't make it right.

Last edited by geebabe; 08-15-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
In some states you can set up a pet trust in your will for the benefit of your pet, i.e., to pay food, medical and housing costs if needed. If you have pets and are redoing your will, you might want to consider discussing with your attorney.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Oopsie, GeeBabe...YEA for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement