U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 04:32 PM

6,634 posts, read 3,678,850 times

Advertisements

We adopted 2 littermate kittens in our 60's when our other 16 and 22 year old cats died within a few years of each other.

They are now 9 years old and we are in our 70's. Who is going to outlive who? If they were go die tomorrow, I would not adopt another pet at our age. I do think about who will take our cats if they survive us. We are Seniors and our cats are also now Seniors as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:24 PM

1,987 posts, read 368,408 times
We had to put our old dog to sleep last month because of advanced cancer. I miss her more than I can say. But I'll turn 65 soon and I think I have one more dog in me, so when we're ready, we've already talked with my niece (who is a big dog lover and responsible too) about what would happen if we weren't around to take care of our next dog (which will be middle-aged, probably).

In a heartbeat, she said she would of course be glad to adopt her or him - but requested that it "not be a little yappy one."

Granted, and very grateful to her!

Old 08-17-2019, 05:26 PM

4,813 posts, read 3,340,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We adopted 2 littermate kittens in our 60's when our other 16 and 22 year old cats died within a few years of each other.

They are now 9 years old and we are in our 70's. Who is going to outlive who? If they were go die tomorrow, I would not adopt another pet at our age. I do think about who will take our cats if they survive us. We are Seniors and our cats are also now Seniors as well.

I think about this a lot. I have two cats, both adopted (not at same time) from SPCA. We definitely went through that period of adjustment. I thought occasionally I should have only gotten one.

But as time goes by, they are a real joy to me. Funny as all get out.

Today we had a very bad storm here (even a tornado warning). One of them got very upset. There have been other storms, but this one really scared her. She let out a strange meow and slunk around looking for a safe place. I did my best to comfort her but she was beyond any of my attempts. Along came my second cat. He went right up to her and began licking her face, her head until she calmed down. I found a lot of beauty in that.

So I've made a hopeful promise to them and me. I can't die before them. Period. That is the way it has to happen.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 PM

1,987 posts, read 368,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I think about this a lot. I have two cats, both adopted (not at same time) from SPCA. We definitely went through that period of adjustment. I thought occasionally I should have only gotten one.

But as time goes by, they are a real joy to me. Funny as all get out.

Today we had a very bad storm here (even a tornado warning). One of them got very upset. There have been other storms, but this one really scared her. She let out a strange meow and slunk around looking for a safe place. I did my best to comfort her but she was beyond any of my attempts. Along came my second cat. He went right up to her and began licking her face, her head until she calmed down. I found a lot of beauty in that.

So I've made a hopeful promise to them and me. I can't die before them. Period. That is the way it has to happen.
Beautiful story about your kitties, NYgal, and thanks for your PM.

I think I'll make the same promise to our next pup - no dying before the dog!

Old 08-17-2019, 05:51 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,653,026 times
This is a real hard one for me, I want a dog so bad. I've never owned one because of being single & working long hours with a fair amount of out of town work, wouldn't be fair for any pet. Now that I'm retired I'm trying to travel to any number of places to consider for possible relocation, some of them are overseas, so nothing's really changed. I hope to figure something out in a couple of years then my lifespan vs the dog's may become an issue. I might adopt a senior dog then, we'll see.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:14 PM

19,750 posts, read 17,961,016 times
My wife and I have been married for 20 years now and have always had 3 dogs. I don't see that changing even after retirement except no more puppies.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 PM

5,329 posts, read 8,441,705 times
Pets are great, but they are a HUGE responsibility and long-term commitment as well; they can be as important as family for some people. I also think a lot of people have pets because they don't have satisfying human relationships. I like animals, but I don't want to be tied down or limited in my ability to travel or enjoy my human - and marital - relationships. I had beloved pets when I was younger, and had other responsibilities that pets did not interfere with and actually enhanced - like children and a job. Now that I'm older, I don't want to be tied down, and pets would severely limit my options. Other people may have different priorities, of course, and may make pets one of them - that would not work for me and my wife.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 AM

26,378 posts, read 33,390,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Pets are great, but they are a HUGE responsibility and long-term commitment as well; they can be as important as family for some people. I also think a lot of people have pets because they don't have satisfying human relationships. I like animals, but I don't want to be tied down or limited in my ability to travel or enjoy my human - and marital - relationships. I had beloved pets when I was younger, and had other responsibilities that pets did not interfere with and actually enhanced - like children and a job. Now that I'm older, I don't want to be tied down, and pets would severely limit my options. Other people may have different priorities, of course, and may make pets one of them - that would not work for me and my wife.
Well stated.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:53 PM

4,237 posts, read 1,100,266 times
I love my pets better than most people.......................

Dogs are like caring for two year olds for their entire lives. Gotta love it............

Only problem for me. Can not find one darned 55 and over community that does not put restrictions
on the amount of pets one can have outside of owning your own private property. So sad it makes me laugh.
I'd rather live next to a person who cleans up after his pets than a filthy hoarder..................nuff said.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:48 AM

706 posts, read 209,045 times
All towns have pet limits. Some people that do pet rescue live in the country for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement