U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,401,235 times

Advertisements

I never thought I'd be without a dog. I love them more than people but they can be a hindrance. We hope to move to Alabama but due to having a 60 lb pit mix and a 49 lb terrier - our housing options are limited. Not sure how many would rent an apt or house with the two dogs and I know we won't be able to buy in most HOAs because of the weight restrictions and they may have breed restrictions.

I really don't want another house to take care of but due to the dogs - we don't have a choice. I'm dreading the 2 day move with both of them as it is. The other thing is that I had hoped to travel just a bit in retirement but with the dogs - that will be conditional on whether my son will dog sit and the trips will only have to be weekend trips as he's on the road M-F.

After these 2 pass - I thought about fostering dogs who are older or who have been in the lbs for a long period of time - I still may do this but I always think what would happen if something happens to me and no one finds out for days - the animals would be distraught, they'd probably be put into the shelter ect.. And I don't want to see that happen to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 10:10 AM

1,995 posts, read 648,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I could less about cars as I drive a 14 yr old Honda. But I would never trade travel for "dogs, horses and cats." All those pets are a lot of work in retirement. The only work for me when traveling is pulling a wheeled suitcase.

However, to each his own.
I agree. Travel to me is work. I enjoy being home.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM

7,961 posts, read 4,510,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I love them all, but I don't have any at this time in my life because I won't be around for their full lifespan, and I don't want them taken to a shelter or be homeless when I'm gone.
A "full lifespan" for a senior dog or cat languishing in a shelter -- perhaps precisely because it WAS adopted (or, worse, bought) as a baby and has outlived its owner -- may be just a year or two. At any rate, you can always arrange to have it put down if anything happens to you. Please reconsider giving an animal a home.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 366,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
We had to put our old dog to sleep last month because of advanced cancer. I miss her more than I can say. But I'll turn 65 soon and I think I have one more dog in me, so when we're ready, we've already talked with my niece (who is a big dog lover and responsible too) about what would happen if we weren't around to take care of our next dog (which will be middle-aged, probably).

In a heartbeat, she said she would of course be glad to adopt her or him - but requested that it "not be a little yappy one."

Granted, and very grateful to her!
Sorry to hear. Sending hugs.

We put my dog to sleep two weeks ago. When it is time, it's time, even when it is hard to face.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:54 PM

4,933 posts, read 2,401,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A "full lifespan" for a senior dog or cat languishing in a shelter -- perhaps precisely because it WAS adopted (or, worse, bought) as a baby and has outlived its owner -- may be just a year or two. At any rate, you can always arrange to have it put down if anything happens to you. Please reconsider giving an animal a home.
That is exactly what none of us wants to do - we love our animals - would you have your spouse put down because you passed or vice versa? How cruel to end the life of a living creature that still has life to live. I would love to see a rescue come in and try to find it at least a foster home where it can live out it's days.

My neighbor put her dog down because it was an inconvenience. She actually would leave the poor thing alone for days - lord knows what the inside of the house looks like. Instead of taking it to the pound or contacting a rescue - she lied to the vet and had it put down. If I'd known about it a head of time - I would have found a place for it.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 AM

12,233 posts, read 5,330,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
That is exactly what none of us wants to do - we love our animals - would you have your spouse put down because you passed or vice versa? How cruel to end the life of a living creature that still has life to live. I would love to see a rescue come in and try to find it at least a foster home where it can live out it's days.

My neighbor put her dog down because it was an inconvenience. She actually would leave the poor thing alone for days - lord knows what the inside of the house looks like. Instead of taking it to the pound or contacting a rescue - she lied to the vet and had it put down. If I'd known about it a head of time - I would have found a place for it.
Yeah, I need to stop reading this thread now because it's becoming rather upsetting. I can understand not wanting your pet to linger in a shelter but there are alternatives. To make plans to have your pet killed because you won't be around to take care of it borders on barbaric to me. It's not a piece of old furniture. It's an individual life that at least deserves a chance of finding another home.

Last edited by marino760; 08-20-2019 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

If you had any experience with "rescue," you'd know that too often friends and family who promise to care for someone's animals promptly dump them in a shelter -- or worse, in the middle of nowhere to starve alone. Good luck finding a "foster home" for every cat left homeless; take a look at the numbers. If you think you can place every homeless animal in the world in a GOOD home, have at it. You can singlehandedly eliminate euthanasia! Bottom line: animals don't care how long they live; only how happy, loved, comfortable and safe they feel WHILE they live...

Getting back to my original point: you can find pets like these, dumped in their final years because no one had the courage to deal with them responsibly, languishing in shelters everywhere; alone, scared, confused, grieving their owners, and desperate for a warm lap in which to spend their last year or two. If you're too old to devote 20 years to a kitten or puppy, there are plenty of senior and even elderly animals available. Adopt one...

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yeah, I need to stop reading this thread now because it's becoming rather upsetting. I can understand not wanting your pet to linger in a shelter but there are alternatives. To make plans to have your pet killed because you won't be around to take care of it borders on barbaric to me. It's not a piece of old furniture. It's an individual life that at least deserves a chance of finding another home. I'm done.
Yes, and animals suffer because humans can't feel "upset."

The ALTERNATIVE is being responsible. If you're old yourself, DON'T adopt (or, worse, buy) a young pet. You won't live long enough to see it through. Focus on the senior and elderly shelter animals. Consider instead fostering, volunteering in a shelter, or even pet-sitting to get your pet fix. If you choose to trust a friend or relative to keep your pet, build some guarantee into the deal (have another friend or relative check on the animal at intervals; bequeath money in a trust fund to the carer to cover the cost of food and vet care, etc.).

Think of the animal instead of yourself.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:53 AM

12,233 posts, read 5,330,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, animals suffer because humans can't feel "upset."

The ALTERNATIVE is being responsible. If you're old yourself, DON'T adopt (or, worse, buy) a young pet. You won't live long enough to see it through. Focus on the senior and elderly shelter animals. Consider instead fostering, volunteering in a shelter, or even pet-sitting to get your pet fix. If you choose to trust a friend or relative to keep your pet, build some guarantee into the deal (have another friend or relative check on the animal at intervals; bequeath money to the carer to cover the cost of food and vet care, etc.). It's not hard...
Don't lecture me. I made arrangements for my pets to be well taken care of in case of my death. I've always adopted senior dogs and will continue to do so, and have volunteered my time and money to help rescue organizations. I'm the person that usually adopts dogs that no one else wants including a senior that was deaf and blind.
Save your high horse chastising for someone else.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Don't lecture me. I made arrangements for my pets to be well taken care of in case of my death. I've always adopted senior dogs and will continue to do so, and have volunteered my time and money to help rescue organizations. I'm the person that usually adopts dogs that no one else wants including a senior that was deaf and blind.
Save your high horse chastising for someone else.
No need to get hysterical; even if you don't (and I wasn't specifically speaking to you), others need to give this matter serious thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement