U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:06 AM

8,002 posts, read 4,533,405 times

Advertisements

Those of you who feel pet-ownership is out of the question solely due to the cost* and/or length of obligation should again look into either a lower-order pet (rodent) or fostering for a local rescue. They pay all vet bills, some even provide the food; you just supply the home and love until it gets adopted. No matter the outcome, the pet can be returned to the rescue for placement with another foster family. This is in contrast to ending up in a shelter (very traumatic for most) or euthanized...

*I could go on and on about greedy vets; don't get me started.

Personally, I'm now considering a ferret!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 10:30 AM

5,708 posts, read 3,018,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Those of you who feel pet-ownership is out of the question solely due to the cost* and/or length of obligation should again look into either a lower-order pet (rodent) or fostering for a local rescue. They pay all vet bills, some even provide the food; you just supply the home and love until it gets adopted. No matter the outcome, the pet can be returned to the rescue for placement with another foster family. This is in contrast to ending up in a shelter (very traumatic for most) or euthanized...

*I could go on and on about greedy vets; don't get me started.

Personally, I'm now considering a ferret!
There you go again, calling pets smaller than dogs and cats “lower order.” Noncanid and nonfelid pets still need daily attention for both physical and psychological well-being. Just because they can’t get out of a cage and drop nasty carnivore stink bombs all over your house doesn’t mean they don’t need exercise and affection also.

Ferrets know their names and can be housetrained, among other “higher order” abilities.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:02 AM

200 posts, read 61,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It has little to do with country vs city, in just about anything. We have been ripped off by “country” businesses as well as received competent service done professionally. Same duality as for “city” businesses. You have to assess service more objectively and carefully than just assuming all country people are trustworthy/fair and all city people are greedy SOBs.

I base my opinion of city vs country prices on 35+ years of experience and always having had a home in another city/state (states from the Mexico border - Canadian) while simultaneously having a livestock operation in another.

Whether it's getting vet care for my horses from a rural vet vs a "burb" vet, getting a c-section done, vaccinations for dogs, cats, horses, (even had rabbits, birds and fish for the kids), having cats, dogs and horses put down, weekend and after hour prices vs appointment scheduled fees. We also bury ALL of our animals at the same location and have for decades.

I could debate prices ad nauseam but won't. You are free to have your opinion and I have mine.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 08-25-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 AM

8,002 posts, read 4,533,405 times
Quote:
There you go again, calling pets smaller than dogs and cats “lower order.” Noncanid and nonfelid pets still need daily attention for both physical and psychological well-being. Just because they can’t get out of a cage and drop nasty carnivore stink bombs all over your house doesn’t mean they don’t need exercise and affection also.

Ferrets know their names and can be housetrained, among other “higher order” abilities.
I'm simply saying some pets require less attention and affection than others. Surely you'd concede that a mouse, gerbil, or hamster (I won't go so far as fish) would suffer less from being left alone much of the time or left altogether by its owner in the event of death or disability than a golden retriever would.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm simply saying some pets require less attention and affection than others. Surely you'd concede that a mouse, gerbil, or hamster (I won't go so far as fish) would suffer less from being left alone much of the time or left altogether by its owner in the event of death or disability than a golden retriever would.
LOL, a golden retriever is so far to the right on the bell curve of canid neediness for human adoration (and adoring, too) that the comparison is absurd. Many dogs are far more independent than such breeds, which were selectively bred to seek human attention and return the fawning.

I have owned fish, hamster, guinea pigs, gerbil, rabbits, and dogs. What I found was that rabbits do very much respond to and need human attention, more than most people realize. You don’t know unless you actually DO give the animal quality time, which I did not do enough with the smaller animals. Just because it did not look like they wanted human attention doesn’t mean they didn’t want it.

They don’t walk around the house and make loud noises and scratch/jump/pester people the way dogs and cats often do when they want attention. The lack is not in their wanting—it is in humans’ ability to understand their ways of communicating.

It was only a short time ago that birds were considered stupid automotons of instinct and nothing more. Scientists have discovered that birds not only “think” but that they have emotions.

The same could be found for other life forms. Humans just haven’t gotten there yet.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-26-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 09:35 AM

26,426 posts, read 33,451,038 times
Quote:
LOL, a golden retriever is so far to the right on the bell curve of canid neediness for human adoration (and adoring, too) that the comparison is absurd. Many dogs are far more independent than such breeds, which were selectively bred to seek human attention and return the fawning.
Man if you want needy, get a Vizla!!! I love those dogs...but dang they have to practically be touching you every minute of the day. Cool dogs though.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM

26,426 posts, read 33,451,038 times
Quote:
Man if you want needy, get a Vizla!!! I love those dogs...but dang they have to practically be touching you every minute of the day. Cool dogs though.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM

9,953 posts, read 7,215,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
You seemed to miss the point I was trying to make.

Pet ownership is a viable and reasonable option.......even for those on a fixed budget, but only if you live in an area where the animal medical care provider isn't financially trying to take advantage of the clients.
Well, MY point was part of indulging in the "viable and reasonable option" of pet ownership is consideration of the expenses
involved in caring for the animal's needs in the way of nourishment, medical care and other incidental expenses necessary to ensure the animal is healthy and happy. Realistically, if one lives paycheck to paycheck , has a tough time making ends meet or meeting financial obligations, common sense would dictate that having pets that will incur significant expenses is not an option. And perhaps even a little more concern for the welfare of an animal living in a household that can't afford it than to one's indulgence to his/her own wishes for a potentially expensive pet.

And this is true for all age groups, not just retirees.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM

37,487 posts, read 46,239,102 times
I am through having cats. We like them and we’ve always had a few, but I don’t think we ever had one who didn’t end it’s days pissing in the house; either on throw rugs or in baskets of clean laundry, etc. No more.

We went dog free for a few years after retirement, but we missed having something to fuss over, so we are on our second dog from foster since we retired. They have each been about 5 when we got them. The first one died suddenly of a heart ailment, but the second one is doing well. I expect we will always have a foster dog. Our expectations have shifted, though. We just give them love and pampering while we have them and hope for the best.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Neither subject has much to do with the question of pet ownership in retirement, IMO.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement