U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM

4,847 posts, read 3,364,960 times

Advertisements

But since it is mentioned..... won't let it go to waste.
I agree with Pikabike..... dogs ears should be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:54 PM

26,431 posts, read 33,457,342 times
I prefer ears that flop anyway. Never understood the cropping thing...or the cropping of tails for that matter. Seems like it is just for looks.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:20 AM

323 posts, read 331,319 times
I'm in my 30's and I'm a dog person. I currently have just one dog named Shadow and he is a doxie/dachshund. I think this will be my last dog. I don't want the responsibility of taking care of anymore pets after Shadow.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM

601 posts, read 276,897 times
I can't imagine being without dogs in my life. While we are fortunate that the expenses of pet ownership are not a consideration, those who are critical of people owning pets who "can't afford" them might give some thought to the idea that the pet might offer companionship and love to someone who has very little of that in their lives.

I'm not judgemental when I see a dog tied outside our town library where the homeless tend to hang out on cold nights as this dog, which does not appear to be underweight or abused, probably represents to it's owner a warm body to care for and offer unconditional affection.

Would it better if said dog lived in a conventional home? Of course, and I would never suggest that the homeless should have pets, but I can acknowledge that this dog no doubt means something to this person who has very little else in life.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:53 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,646,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Man if you want needy, get a Vizla!!! I love those dogs...but dang they have to practically be touching you every minute of the day. Cool dogs though.
They are indeed GORGEOUS, and I've watched one in my neighborhood grow from a puppy to a "young man" over the past 3 years.

I'm completely accustomed to the touching thing, having raised Dobermans for 37 years: they are known as "The Velcro Dog."

Old 08-30-2019, 03:12 PM

4,847 posts, read 3,364,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
AZDesertBrat[/b];56060741]I saw where Cuomo passed that law. I think that's a good thing. I can't imagine mutilating a cat like that.

I guess $50 to repair a vacuum cord is cheaper than buying a new one. I had forgotten how kittens get into things and how much they love tearing up throw rugs! Have to be careful not to trip on them.

My two are doing well these days. Bo has always been friendly and social. Baby Girl is finally getting there. She still won't let me pick her up or hold her but she's coming closer every day. They both hang out with me a lot and are now playing rather than fighting, although Bo is still possessive about stuff. At least he lets her use the potty box without harassing her now.

The maddening thing is there is only one business who would do the cord work where I live. The guy I talked with wasn't very pleasant and said the cleaner I have (Shark Navigator) is one of the most difficult to replace the cord on.

Some people were so kind to post (with pictures even!!) the way to fix the cord I have. Unfortunately I can't do that close work anymore.

A couple of women that live here told me that Walmart had some good sales right now on vacuums, so I guess I'll bite that bullet. There used to be a place a couple miles down the road that did repairs on vacuums, but not there anymore.

I know at one time there were things called cord protectors. I need to do a search in Google. That way the cat wouldn't be able to reach the cord.

Your kitties sound so adorable. They can be so much fun to watch. My two are adults and make me laugh at least once a day. I get so mad at Sam (the cord biting culprit), but he's got me wrapped around his paw.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:00 AM

39 posts, read 6,738 times
My parents wouldn't allow animals so I didn’t have my first pet until my 20’s. Dogs and cats concurrently ever since. Late DH and I had an organic farm with attendant livestock, considered “working” not pets.

2 rescue cats and a rescue dog currently, only because they have a home when I exit stage left or relocate to a care facility. I suffered a deep dark depression without pets.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 AM

8,753 posts, read 9,823,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
The maddening thing is there is only one business who would do the cord work where I live. The guy I talked with wasn't very pleasant and said the cleaner I have (Shark Navigator) is one of the most difficult to replace the cord on.

Some people were so kind to post (with pictures even!!) the way to fix the cord I have. Unfortunately I can't do that close work anymore.

A couple of women that live here told me that Walmart had some good sales right now on vacuums, so I guess I'll bite that bullet. There used to be a place a couple miles down the road that did repairs on vacuums, but not there anymore.

I know at one time there were things called cord protectors. I need to do a search in Google. That way the cat wouldn't be able to reach the cord.

Your kitties sound so adorable. They can be so much fun to watch. My two are adults and make me laugh at least once a day. I get so mad at Sam (the cord biting culprit), but he's got me wrapped around his paw.

It's a shame that things have to be so complicated sometimes. I guess when you are the ONLY business you can get away with being a jerk. Where else are they going to go?

My cats don't chew on wires...yet!...but they play with them and yesterday I barely saved a lamp falling to the floor because of it and my poor cell phone has hit the floor three times! Had to find another higher outlet.

Yeah, watching my kitties is fun. They are so silly and will play with anything. I've had to quit running around in socks because Bo is 'in love' with my feet. I wear my booty slippers and he can love on them all he wants. lol So far he has 'created' only two big messes. Got up on my desk and accidently knocked my brand new full up glass of ice tea all over the place. Did the same thing with a big Coke. I had to mop the floor three times to get all the sticky up. He doesn't do it on purpose but he's all over the place and things 'get in his way' I guess.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 AM

657 posts, read 142,286 times
Haven't had a dog for years and years but wouldn't mind one, probably purebred.

I've had a philosophy change in them and have decided to be one of those 1% of dog owners who actually have a well-behaved, well-trained dog. I'm girding up my loins for the workload.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:37 PM

12,579 posts, read 12,761,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I'm in my 30's and I'm a dog person. I currently have just one dog named Shadow and he is a doxie/dachshund. I think this will be my last dog. I don't want the responsibility of taking care of anymore pets after Shadow.
Your attitude may change when you grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement