U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:20 PM

12,719 posts, read 12,879,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Haven't had a dog for years and years but wouldn't mind one, probably purebred.

I've had a philosophy change in them and have decided to be one of those 1% of dog owners who actually have a well-behaved, well-trained dog. I'm girding up my loins for the workload.
Dog training is almost trivial. The key is a short attention span. Either wait for the behavior you want or figure out how to evoke it, then reward. Training sessions should never last longer than 30 seconds, and often 10 seconds is plenty. Don't bother to try to train more complex tasks until the dog has mastered simple house training and obedience. Don't hit your dog, don't bark at your dog.

I have been rescuing orphan dogs for years, mostly purebred, sometimes rare breeds. I have had a Picardy spaniel, a blue Picardy spaniel, two English springers, an English bulldog, a chocolate lab, three miniature dachshunds, a standard poodle, and a Large Munsterlander.

I just picked up the 2 year old standard poodle two days ago, and currently have a 13 year old long haired mini dachshund and a 6 year old English springer spaniel. The springer is the finest field bred dog I have ever met, and I'm looking forward to taking her pheasant hunting in October. She has been here 8 months, and is solid on her training. She has an outstanding nose, retrieves to hand and has a soft mouth. The poodle is new, but I plan on training her as a truffle dog.

All but two of them have been shelter dogs.

Since I'm retired, I have plenty of time to spend with the dogs. I guess they are my hobby. People comment on how well trained my dogs are, but they will do anything to make me happy. I don't teach them tricks, but try to give them a real job to do. Dogs love to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 09:17 AM

8,074 posts, read 4,605,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Haven't had a dog for years and years but wouldn't mind one, probably purebred.

I've had a philosophy change in them and have decided to be one of those 1% of dog owners who actually have a well-behaved, well-trained dog. I'm girding up my loins for the workload.
You can find purebred rescues on www.petfinder.com (search by breed). Adopt; don't shop!

Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,205,784 times
I don't have a pet now because I rent and it is not allowed. In a few years, I might buy a small place, then I would get a cat. I see too many ads on the listserv, people desperately looking for a rental that takes pets.

I wish the humane society was closer, I would love to volunteer with the animals.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:29 PM

4,958 posts, read 3,436,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't have a pet now because I rent and it is not allowed. In a few years, I might buy a small place, then I would get a cat. I see too many ads on the listserv, people desperately looking for a rental that takes pets.

I wish the humane society was closer, I would love to volunteer with the animals.

There are a lot of places you could look into to see if you can help. I would imagine you being in VT and me in NY, the agencies won't be the same, but check under rescue animals, etc. Here where I am there is a place called cat coalition. Facebook can be a big help for finding places you could volunteer with.
Good luck. I admire your spirit.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 PM

8,570 posts, read 5,274,258 times
Our beloved Beatrice cat went peacefully to cat heaven tonight. She tried her best to stay with us but her liver had other plans.

I do not feel freed up to take a cruise around the world. I feel like I want another cat.

I have had cats continuously since the late Eighties. The tail count has waxed and waned; at one point we had seven fur slugs. And now there are zero.

It is not as liberating as I thought it would be.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 PM
JRR

3,938 posts, read 2,358,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Our beloved Beatrice cat went peacefully to cat heaven tonight. She tried her best to stay with us but her liver had other plans.

I do not feel freed up to take a cruise around the world. I feel like I want another cat.

I have had cats continuously since the late Eighties. The tail count has waxed and waned; at one point we had seven fur slugs. And now there are zero.

Sorry to hear about Beatrice passing on, but I'm glad to hear that it was a peaceful ending. It is tough when an old friend leaves you. House just seems empty without them. It has been almost a year since my ginger buddy Hobbes has been gone and I was thinking yesterday about how much I miss him being back on the bed with me watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 AM

8,074 posts, read 4,605,250 times
Quote:

It leaves a huge hole in our hearts and homes, and - if you're an animal person - it's hard to imagine being without a pet. That's why I've looked into shorter-lived/lower-maintenance alternatives (such as rodents, etc.). But if and when I find myself petless, I hope I'll take advantage of that time to at least scout out my next location.

If you have no need or desire to travel, then - by all means - adopt today! Homeless animals are waiting and may not have much time.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 AM

4,958 posts, read 3,436,955 times
Fluffy, I am so sorry you lost Beatrix. It's never easy and it is always heartbreaking. I've lost my share of cats.
Several years ago I adopted Mimsy, a very sweet grey and white. After I had her for a long time, she suffered a stroke. I've never gone through that before. It took a long time to get over it.

I was always a believer that getting another cat would alleviate the pain, but it made it worse. I missed Mimsy so much. So I took the new kitty back to the SPCA telling them it wasn't the cat's fault, please let her find another home.

Eventually I knew I wanted another one and went to the SPCA. GG was a timid girl so I thought a companion might help. So back to the SPCA and there was Sam. He needed us as much as we needed him.

Whatever you choose to do, find another cat or take the cruise around the world, I certainly support your choice. But please don't feel you have to rush into whatever you do. A little time to adjust would be something to think about.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM

12,307 posts, read 5,458,552 times
Quote:

I know what you mean. I just got back from a trip to my future retirement location and honestly, my cat was the only thing I looked forward to coming back to. The first thing I did when I walked back into the door is call her name and she came out to greet me in a happy peppy manner. Today she's been by my side almost all day when most of the time she spends her days napping.
Some of us, myself included get very attached to our pets and they are more important than taking vacations. I never felt liberated when one of my dogs died either, just the opposite.
RIP sweet Beatrice.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:32 PM
JRR

3,938 posts, read 2,358,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I know what you mean. I just got back from a trip to my future retirement location and honestly, my cat was the only thing I looked forward to coming back to. The first thing I did when I walked back into the door is call her name and she came out to greet me in a happy peppy manner. Today she's been by my side almost all day when most of the time she spends her days napping.
Some of us, myself included get very attached to our pets and they are more important than taking vacations. I never felt liberated when one of my dogs died either, just the opposite.
RIP sweet Beatrice.
So how was your trip to Maysville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement