U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM
JRR

3,939 posts, read 2,360,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
My next door neighbor came by each day to make sure everything was ok with her food and water. My cat runs and hides when anyone comes into the house. She run and hide even if the door bell rings. She was feral all her life until I gave her a home 2-3 years ago and is still very afraid of people except for me. She's in her mid teens now.
I have two cats and my older one is exactly like that. Doorbell rings and you wont see her for a long time.

And my other young cat is exactly the opposite. When the doorbell rings, she runs to see who it is. And anyone who steps inside gets checked out completely. When the cable guy was here doing a repair, she was with him every step of the way. She was brought into our vet as a stray and she certainly wasn't mistreated as I have never had a cat who loves people as much as this one does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 PM

9,390 posts, read 8,126,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I have two cats and my older one is exactly like that. Doorbell rings and you wont see her for a long time.

And my other young cat is exactly the opposite. When the doorbell rings, she runs to see who it is. And anyone who steps inside gets checked out completely. When the cable guy was here doing a repair, she was with him every step of the way. She was brought into our vet as a stray and she certainly wasn't mistreated as I have never had a cat who loves people as much as this one does.
Had two litter mate, sister cats and this is how they behaved. One would be handing the guy tools. The other hiding until he was gone.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:33 PM

4,958 posts, read 3,439,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Had two litter mate, sister cats and this is how they behaved. One would be handing the guy tools. The other hiding until he was gone.

They can be so funny. I had a cat once who watched everything very closely..... wanted to make sure the job was done right!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM

8,777 posts, read 9,888,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Our beloved Beatrice cat went peacefully to cat heaven tonight. She tried her best to stay with us but her liver had other plans.

I do not feel freed up to take a cruise around the world. I feel like I want another cat.

I have had cats continuously since the late Eighties. The tail count has waxed and waned; at one point we had seven fur slugs. And now there are zero.

It is not as liberating as I thought it would be.

So sorry to hear about your furbaby. When my Dakota died last year I felt totally lost for a little while but didn't want to get another one right away. I did get two kittens three weeks ago and, boy, has it been an
'adventure'! lol I had forgotten how kittens are but they remind me daily...no every minute...the things they can get into. I'm glad I got them because they seem to have brought back some of my 'oomph', or something. I AM having a problem with a room mate over them but she's welcome to leave anytime she wants. My furbabies aren't going anywhere!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:54 AM

8,777 posts, read 9,888,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

I have one like that. I don't think he "loves people" so much but he IS incredibly nosy! Got to know everything that's going on. His sister, not so much. She's still shy and while she is getting brave enough to get closer I still haven't been able to pick her up, pet and love on her. I keep telling her she doesn't know what she's missing and her brother gets it ALL. Well, he insists on it so I have no choice. lol

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

2,040 posts, read 385,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I'm in my 30's and I'm a dog person. I currently have just one dog named Shadow and he is a doxie/dachshund. I think this will be my last dog. I don't want the responsibility of taking care of anymore pets after Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your attitude may change when you grow up.
Most of us considered ourselves and others in our thirties to be fully grown up, and I think that of thirty-somethings now.

Last edited by CarolinaMoon1; Yesterday at 10:53 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

1,172 posts, read 695,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As this is a retirement forum, the chances are a baby pet will outlive most of us. As we age, if we feel the need for a pet, consider adopting an older one that you will/may outlive. Maybe even when that an elderly person left behind due to their death or placement where they could not have a pet.

I worry more about what will happen to my cat when I die as the what will happen to my son. My son will be upset and sad but he will understand and will have my money. My poor cat will not understand and she will need a new home.
My grandmother is 92, in relatively good health, and still lives on her own. Just after she turned 90 her beloved cat passed away. A couple of weeks later she went out and adopted a new 2 year old cat. As most of us know, cats can live for a very long time. I absolutely love my grandmother and hope she is a statistical anomaly, but I would imagine one of her grandchildren will be adopting an orphaned kitty sometime within the next several years.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

4,756 posts, read 4,672,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
What are your current and past experiences with pets?
Had cats as a child. They are "okay". Have had dogs in my adult life. Lost my Japanese Chin several years ago and the trauma of losing him precluded me getting another dog/pet since. I think I'm ready again, but since I retired and moved to paradise, I haven't gotten one because I don't know how often I'll be on the road or out playing.

Currently running for the city council and if I'm elected, that will tie me down for the next four years and I'll go ahead and get another dog. Hopefully another Japanese Chin. They are wonderful little companions.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

8,075 posts, read 4,607,699 times
I was just reading about a "fospice" program at a local animal rescue where elderly and sick dogs who would otherwise be euthanized immediately rather than kept in the shelter are instead sent to live out their days with only comfort care at a volunteer foster's home. That's definitely something I would be interested in doing as a retiree, and I would think this would address a lot of seniors' concerns over the lifetime commitment and expense issues of typical pet ownership. Wonderful concept!

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

2,040 posts, read 385,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was just reading about a "fospice" program at a local animal rescue where elderly and sick dogs who would otherwise be euthanized immediately rather than kept in the shelter are instead sent to live out their days with only comfort care at a volunteer foster's home. That's definitely something I would be interested in doing as a retiree, and I would think this would address a lot of seniors' concerns over the lifetime commitment and expense issues of typical pet ownership. Wonderful concept!
Great idea - I will definitely look into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement