U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:43 AM

770 posts, read 190,167 times

Advertisements

To me, life without dogs is no life.

Adopt, don’t shop! WOOF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:07 AM

13,041 posts, read 14,298,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
As retirees, there seem to be pet-friendly people and people who are against having pets. ....What are your current and past experiences with pets?
In all likelihood any pet I had today would outlive me, and the idea of a pet going to a shelter after its owner is dead turns me off very strongly. And I would not expect a friend to adopt an animal they did not want simply because I croaked. Thus, no pets

There is a cat who walks over the roofs and literally drops into my place once in awhile. But he has zero interest in me, all he wants is a place to sit and wash himself in peace. He completely ignores me unless I happen to discover him at ease in a chair in the living room; then he gives me the bored cat version look of "Yeah? You want something?" I have learned to leave him alone, and he disappears when it pleases him.

I had cats growing up, and one dog who lived more than a dozen years. In my fifties I was semi-disabled and I got a cat for company. The pet store had no container, but he was so little that I brought him home the pocket of my army jacket. I lived alone, so he was like glue...sure I lived there, but he had a considerable number of rules which I had not been consulted about but was expected to obey. It's a cat, you give up.

I had to give him away when I moved to Europe. A family - father and mother and young daughter (about 6th grade) came to interview him twice, and I got to interview them. The match seemed like a good one. I hear that he got on very well with girl and her mother, but the father got a surprise....fortunately he was a pleasant, easy-going guy. The cat transferred all of his bossy attitude from me onto the father, and the poor guy never knew what to expect for awhile. Dad's first lesson was in computer etiquette. Mr. Cat regarded the desktop computer as an annoying rival. He would sit behind my chair, then leap onto my shoulder, slide down into my lap and in short order lie across the keyboard and stare up at me with this "Got the picture, dude?" look on his face. I would do the nice-kitty-pat-pat routine and then lift him off and onto the desk. He would then sit beside the computer and periodically jab the keyboard with a paw and look up at me. If I put him on the floor, we might then have Round Two. The poor father was not prepared for this at all, and from what I heard Mr. Cat really loved to jab at the keyboard with him and drive him nuts.

The funniest story was when the cat got the husband in trouble. I had worn one gold earring, and the cat would sit on the back of my chair or on my shoulder and sometimes get ahold of it with his teeth and try to pull it off. I stopped wearing the earring after he refused to give this habit up. But even though the father had no earring, the cat would take his earlobe in his teeth and pull on it...much to the annoyance of the guy. One day he got ticked off and yelled "Dammit stop!" at the cat. His wife rebuked him severely as their daughter was present, and he had never sworn in front of her. He tried to blame the cat.

His wife really came down on him. "The cat didn't say anything. Don't try to blame the cat!"

I gathered that Mr. Cat had insinuated his rule quite successfully in his new home.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 AM

9,054 posts, read 7,863,182 times
We had two dogs. They didnt work out. No more dogs. I love other peoples dogs. Plus they're too much trouble. Like having a kid.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:06 AM

231 posts, read 83,488 times
Have had dogs most of my life, but with the current traveling I am doing, it would be cruel to a dog. To have to leave it up 8-10 hours a day in or around a trailer (travel around in an RV during the summer), while I am on my motorcycle, is not something I am interested in doing. As I like medium to large dogs, they need room to run, and exercise. Cats are out, as I am not a cat person, although when I had property, we had some barn cats for vermin control.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 AM

13,101 posts, read 15,542,557 times
All my married life I’ve had a cat or sometimes two at a time and a couple of them were extra special. Cats instead of dogs because I appreciate the fact that cats are pretty self sufficient.

After my 18 year old cat - that my kids claimed I loved more than them - died, I thought I’d get a small dog when I was ready to get another pet. But when looking for a dog, I saw a little cat I felt sorry for, so I adopted her. Five years later, I regret that decision every day. She is the biggest pain in the butt pet I have ever owned.

She was born to a feral mother and she insists on being an indoor/outdoor cat. So we put in a cat door, but then she started bringing in live rabbits and mice. So we locked the cat door so we can monitor whether she has anything in her mouth before she comes back in. But now when she wants back in, she scratches on the screen door. She has ripped holes in it. It was a new screen a couple of months ago. If we put the glass storm door in, then she scratches that bedroom window screen. She wants in and out, in and out. She will come in for a nibble of food and want right back out.

She meows constantly. She meows to get in. She meows to get out. She meows for food even though she’s just been fed. She meows for no reason. If she is not sleeping, she’s usually meowing about something, day and night. She keeps me awake. When I get to sleep, she wakes me up. And she invariably wakes me up before my alarm goes off.

Every other pet that I have ever had, I have coexisted with peacefully. But this one is just downright annoying.

I made a commitment when I adopted her and I won’t throw her out, although my husband would like her gone. But after this experience, I’m hesitant to ever get a pet again.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-08-2019 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM

633 posts, read 289,031 times
All my life, I always had dogs - big, beautiful, powerful, intelligent Dobermans with the occasional Golden Retriever thrown in for good measure. Never fewer than two at a time. Obedience training was my favorite hobby. All my dogs had Canine Good Citizen certifications. I was a SAHM raising kids and dogs, and life was good!

Then personal tragedy struck my family, and I was forced back to work FT to keep a roof over our heads. Vet bills and quality dogfood costs became a real burden. One by one, the dogs passed until my last Dobe died in 2013. She had seen me through all of the Terrible Times, and she was literally my last best thing. The hole she left in my life and my heart still hasn't healed. Damn, I miss that good girl.

I have considered fostering, but my work schedule keeps me away from home too many hours every day. So much time alone would be unfair to the dog. When I retire in a year or two, I plan to relocate out of state and have promised myself that I will have another Doberman in my new home before the last moving boxes are unpacked. But only when the time is right.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 08-08-2019 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 08:07 AM

4,532 posts, read 2,703,915 times
As we approach retirement, I have declared our current juvenile feline friend is our last.

Last fall we had to put our dear feline boy "Cuddles" to sleep. He was 20 ( yes 20) years old. It absolutely broke my heart!!! I started a thread here in the retirement section ("how old was the longest lived pet youve had" [i think w/o looking it up])

3.5 years earlier, we had to put to sleep his older sister. She was 18.

When she passed, i said then that when cudbugs ( one of his nicknames, also just CudCuds...hey i called him that by accident one day and he came running!!!) Passed, I VOWED NO MORE ANIMALS.

I've had: 6 cats, 2 dogs, both fresh water and salt water fish, an iguana, and lets see...i think thats it.

All they will do on you is eventually thry will die, even after a lifetime of love and devotion. They are, in our case, our kids, our children, and I am sure most of you know tgat a kid is NOT supposed to predecease you, but pets always will.
Each time. I've wondered if we missed something, coukd have done something, could have done something more,etc to prevent what is actually the eventual outcome.

And lastly I dont want any pet to outlive ME/US, forcing someone to either put them down, give them away, or they die of starvation if the last of us humans is not found for a reasonable time.

So our current juvenile feline friend WILL be the LAST ONE. May he ( and we !!) Live another 20 years to enjoy each other!!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 AM

1,690 posts, read 1,559,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
All my married life Ive had a cat or sometimes two at a time and a couple of them were extra special. Cats instead of dogs because I appreciate the fact that cats are pretty self sufficient.

After my 18 year old cat - that my kids claimed I loved more than them - died, I thought Id get a small dog when I was ready to get another pet. But when looking for a dog, I saw a little cat I felt sorry for, so I adopted her. Five years later, I regret that decision every day. She is the biggest pain in the butt pet I have ever owned.

She was born to a feral mother and she insists on being an indoor/outdoor cat. So we put in a cat door, but then she started bringing in live rabbits and mice. So we locked the cat door so we can monitor whether she has anything in her mouth before she comes back in. But now when she wants back in, she scratches on the screen door. She has ripped holes in it. It was a new screen a couple of months ago. If we put the glass storm door in, then she scratches that bedroom window screen. She wants in and out, in and out. She will come in for a nibble of food and want right back out.

She meows constantly. She meows to get in. She meows to get out. She meows for food even though shes just been fed. She meows for no reason. If she is not sleeping, shes usually meowing about something, day and night. She keeps me awake. When I get to sleep, she wakes me up. And she invariably wakes me up before my alarm goes off.

Every other pet that I have ever had, I have coexisted with peacefully. But this one is just downright annoying.

I made a commitment when I adopted her and I wont throw her out, although my husband would like her gone. But after this experience, Im hesitant to ever get a pet again.
So sorry you are having to go through all of this. Many cats lose interest in hunting as they age, maybe around age seven. I hope she is one of them. Also perhaps you should take her to the vet to see if there is a medical reason for the constant meowing such as overactive thyroid or anxiety.

I am a cat person and had cats, usually three at a time, for many years. But I knew I wanted to travel when I retired so adopted my last cat 17 years ago and she died two years ago. My last cat, Puffy, was the most difficult, probably because she had been taken away from her mother at too early of an age and was not properly socialized. I got her at seven months and from the beginning she loved going outside and was a prolific hunter until she died at 15. She was very aggressive, bullied my other female cat, and would not allow the vet to do an examination. The vet could do a quick exam usually with a towel over the cat's head and the assistant holding her down. A more detailed exam required gassing. So there was no way I could ever medicate Puffy but luckily she was healthy.

But even with her aggressiveness, that cat adored me and I was very attached to her. Then starting about age nine or so, she began biting me if she became upset because of thunder, another cat in her territory, etc. and it got worse as she aged. The bite did not hurt but the site would get infected and I had to quickly get on antibiotics - cat bites are serious stuff. I learned to tell if Puffy was in one of her moods so only got bit once or twice a year. I miss not having cats and plan to get another cat(s) once I am through traveling so much. But I am hoping to adopt an older cat and preferrably an inside cat.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 AM

228 posts, read 89,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is there a limit on how long you can foster an animal? Do they want the animal back eventually? Or is it yours on a permanent loan?
My experience with fostering was that they never asked for their dogs back.

So they became my dogs.

Two of my last three dogs came to me via fostering.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:15 AM

636 posts, read 270,113 times
Always had pets as a kid, and in my 40's and 50's had something of a menagerie.....cats, dogs, rabbit, birds, fish....even had a bearded dragon for a while! Now, down to one cat, which is a lot easier on me and the pocketbook! I don't think I'll ever have more than a cat again...and when she passes, no animals for a while, so I can travel for more than a weekend if I feel like it. I love animals, but they are a big responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement