U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM

24,791 posts, read 8,703,570 times

Advertisements

It's always been NAY for me and I have a upstairs neighbor who has always had a dog and cats and now has two smallish dogs that keep her moving. She's been hit with RA in the last few years and she really struggles and has to care for these doggies and our last conversation the other day, she NO WAY no more animals when these guys are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM

398 posts, read 107,962 times
Done with pets.

My own health care costs are enough to worry about, thank you.

Plus we are traveling more - much more possibilities w/o pets.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 PM
JRR

3,803 posts, read 2,288,999 times
We have always been cat people; usually had two at a time. One would pass on and we would give another cat a chance at a good home. When our ginger guy, Hobbes, passed on last October, I thought about just having one cat. But then our vet had a ginger girl that had been brought to them as a stray and had been there for a month. She had been spayed, so I don't know what her story was. But the vet offered her to us at no cost, so she came home with us.

She was about 8 months old and has been a real joy. Full of energy, but not destructive at all. As my wife said, she puts a smile on our face every day. She certainly had not been mistreated as she loves people. When the doorbell rings, our other cat runs and hides. Cindy Lou heads straight to the door. Cable guy was here the other day and she had to be right with him, supervising.

When our older cat (10 years old) passes on, we will probably go the route of senior cats only. As far as the cats tying us down; it has not been a problem. When we go on a trip, we have a lady stop by once a day to bring in the mail and handle the cat food/litter. No problems with that arrangement so far.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:14 PM

12,233 posts, read 5,330,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's always been NAY for me and I have a upstairs neighbor who has always had a dog and cats and now has two smallish dogs that keep her moving. She's been hit with RA in the last few years and she really struggles and has to care for these doggies and our last conversation the other day, she NO WAY no more animals when these guys are gone.
There are positive and negatives to everything including owning pets. For people like myself who enjoy the company of pets and would rather have them than travel, it's fine. I did my traveling years ago and have no desire to do so anymore.
For myself, having a pet gives me a lot of joy. They can give me a good reason to get me out of bed early, go for walks and play with them in the back yard. Living alone, they give me affection and attention every day. At some point however, one may have to realize health issues may not allow this to continue forever.

I've mentioned this before but my mother is 88 and still in pretty good health. She takes care of two great danes while living with one of my brothers and his family. She gets up early to let them out, makes sure they get fed on time and have whatever they need. She treats them like children and those dogs love her.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:10 PM

3,632 posts, read 2,008,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
As retirees, there seem to be pet-friendly people and people who are against having pets. I never understood the latter...
I don't enjoy buying pet food, cleaning up their feces, or finding care takers when traveling, therefore I'm against having them. You may not agree, but that should be fairly easy to understand.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:17 PM

24,211 posts, read 18,032,107 times
With all the hairballs of the last few days, if I never see another cat again, it will be too soon.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:30 PM

24,791 posts, read 8,703,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There are positive and negatives to everything including owning pets. For people like myself who enjoy the company of pets and would rather have them than travel, it's fine. I did my traveling years ago and have no desire to do so anymore.
For myself, having a pet gives me a lot of joy. They can give me a good reason to get me out of bed early, go for walks and play with them in the back yard. Living alone, they give me affection and attention every day. At some point however, one may have to realize health issues may not allow this to continue forever.

I've mentioned this before but my mother is 88 and still in pretty good health. She takes care of two great danes while living with one of my brothers and his family. She gets up early to let them out, makes sure they get fed on time and have whatever they need. She treats them like children and those dogs love her.
To each their choices, do the danes walk her or does she walk them?

When I grew up cats and dogs were outside, my parents did not have animals in the house, mom had a canary that I wanted to choke as it never stopped singing.

I'm not lonely, if I feel a little bored, take a little nap.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:41 PM

12,233 posts, read 5,330,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
To each their choices, do the danes walk her or does she walk them?

When I grew up cats and dogs were outside, my parents did not have animals in the house, mom had a canary that I wanted to choke as it never stopped singing.

I'm not lonely, if I feel a little bored, take a little nap.
No one walks anyone. The Danes have a backyard they can romp around in if they wish to. They are gentle calm house dogs. The house is over 4000 sq ft so there is plenty of room.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:40 PM

14,427 posts, read 45,317,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No one walks anyone. The Danes have a backyard they can romp around in if they wish to. They are gentle calm house dogs. The house is over 4000 sq ft so there is plenty of room.

To go a bit off topic - having big dogs in your back yard and/or house is about the best security for the buck spent you can get, ask any cop. The dogs don't have to be trained attack dogs. Burglar sees big dog, he immediately shifts to a "softer" target.

So I guess my point is that really any dog that will at least bark at a stranger actually earns their keep.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:33 PM

5,382 posts, read 3,726,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To go a bit off topic - having big dogs in your back yard and/or house is about the best security for the buck spent you can get, ask any cop. The dogs don't have to be trained attack dogs. Burglar sees big dog, he immediately shifts to a "softer" target.

So I guess my point is that really any dog that will at least bark at a stranger actually earns their keep.
Yep, I have one down the street that really earns his keep. Barks all day at anything, clouds, cars, lawn mowers, little old ladies walking, anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement