U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM

633 posts, read 289,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I can't imagine a life without pets.

However, I am trying to plan for my last pet(s). I don't want to die and leave my pets behind, to end up in the pound. That'd be irresponsible of me to do that.
One of the many wonderful reasons to adopt a dog from a rescue group (at least around here) is that the adoption contract is for life. If for any reason you become unable to properly care for the dog, our rescues will take the dog back, no questions asked.

Although I don't have any dogs now, I always had a clause in my will to instruct the executor to contact the rescue group. I also planned to leave some money to the rescue group for my dogs' continued care and rehoming.

One more thought - the best thing you can ever do for your dogs NOW is to train and socialize them as very best you can so that, in the unlikely event they will ever need to be rehomed, they will be an easy, welcome placement. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:11 PM

1,181 posts, read 368,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
So sorry to hear of your loss. It is hard to say goodbye.
It truly is.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:15 PM

1,181 posts, read 368,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
So sad to read of your loss. I've gone through it a few times and none of those times were easy.

I would disagree with what you said about cats not caring. They do. It is a more subtle mourning, but they do mourn. Their playmate is not playing.

I have two cats and when one of them is not feeling good, the other keeps track of him. It's very sweet to watch them. When the one who is "ill" comes around, there is a visible joy to the one who is waiting.

At least that is what I see with my two.
Thanks for your kind thoughts.

My dog and my cat loved each other. . . until the second dog arrived.

Then it became the dogs against the cat.

We had gates around the house to separate them.

Hoping that my second dog will become friends with my cat so the gates can come down!

Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 PM

4,818 posts, read 3,347,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Thanks for your kind thoughts.

My dog and my cat loved each other. . . until the second dog arrived.

Then it became the dogs against the cat.

We had gates around the house to separate them.

Hoping that my second dog will become friends with my cat so the gates can come down!

I am pretty sure it will happen, but it will take patience. Your patience.
Once when I brought in a 2nd cat, first cat didn't like it at all. New cat hid under my bed while established cat growled and sounded menacing.

The second day? Just the opposite..... established cat hiding under the bed and new cat growling, etc.

The third day..... they signed a peace treaty and got along fine.

It's all about establishing who is boss.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:32 PM

1,606 posts, read 551,980 times
I am torn. I have a large dog and always had large dogs. It can be too much. When this one goes I may consider a tiny dog but I am concerned that the yap a lot vs. big dogs

Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM

12,242 posts, read 5,338,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
I am torn. I have a large dog and always had large dogs. It can be too much. When this one goes I may consider a tiny dog but I am concerned that the yap a lot vs. big dogs
There is also an in-between size as well. One thing I'm going to consider when adopting my next dog is whether or not I'll be able to pick him up and put him in my car in case I have to. For me, that's about a 30-40 pound dog to lift without breaking my back.
My last dogs have all been Boston terriers and they all weighed between 24 and 45 pounds, certainly not tiny nor huge.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:19 PM

12,550 posts, read 12,731,411 times
I live in dog heaven. There is a creek in the back yard, and across the creek is 60 acres of forest and meadow that the dog can run and explore off leash. My wife and I have had a "no puppies" rule for the last 10 years. We adopt adult dogs that are, at the moment, no less than five years old. As we age, that limit will go up. We have no intention of leaving orphan dogs.

Dogs love this place. The meals are regular, they get vetted and groomed, two old retired people means someone is home 90% of the time, with lots of pets and affection. I get my evening exercise walking the dogs. I do maybe half a mile uphill and downhill, the dogs do 3x to 5x that, then we brush them out and everybody settles down to snooze and watch TV.

They say you live longer if you have a pet. When it's walk time, the dogs are adamant that I get off my duff and hit the field. That's probably good for me too.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:27 PM

81 posts, read 31,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I live in dog heaven. There is a creek in the back yard, and across the creek is 60 acres of forest and meadow that the dog can run and explore off leash. My wife and I have had a "no puppies" rule for the last 10 years. We adopt adult dogs that are, at the moment, no less than five years old. As we age, that limit will go up. We have no intention of leaving orphan dogs.

Dogs love this place. The meals are regular, they get vetted and groomed, two old retired people means someone is home 90% of the time, with lots of pets and affection. I get my evening exercise walking the dogs. I do maybe half a mile uphill and downhill, the dogs do 3x to 5x that, then we brush them out and everybody settles down to snooze and watch TV.

They say you live longer if you have a pet. When it's walk time, the dogs are adamant that I get off my duff and hit the field. That's probably good for me too.
And you have that wonderful park in your town, with that covered bridge.
My husband, beagles, and I have stopped there many times on our way up from CA to Portland and enjoyed that park.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 AM

10,738 posts, read 5,063,759 times
We had dogs growing up but we didn't have a lot of interaction with them. When I first got married and my husband worked nights I got my first cat. Have had cats ever since on and off through the years. Right now I have a rescue dog and a stray cat that I found starving in February. She is not the most affectionate cat I've ever had but she is slowly coming around. Can't imagine my life without at least one dog or cat in it.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 AM

5,674 posts, read 2,997,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
There are other commonly available pets besides dogs. A rabbit can make sounds, but they are very soft, subtle vocalizations, except for the death scream of a wild rabbit being preyed on. BTW, I have twice seen rabbits being walked outdoors, in harness collars. Cats can also walk on leash, believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement