Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 02:38 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I've had cats pretty much all my life and dogs as a kid and young man. I could do, maybe, one indoor cat and one outdoor dog.

A lot of animals in the house means you're doing a lot of cleaning. My parents have four cats. Fur gets everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 02:45 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Mrs Robinson appears to be a TNR cat ! The cut in her ear means she was trapped, got neutered and then released back into the cat community of ferals. Is this correct? She is a beauty but me thinks she maybe needs glasses !!
Yes, she's a TNR ferral. There's an organization in town that does this to help control the feral cat population.
I've actually known her for many years maybe 10-12 from my work. I spend a lot of time outside where I work and for some reason, she picked me to befriend while not allowing anyone else to get close to her. She would follow me around and want to be my friend. It took several years before she would let me touch her.
So when the powers that be at work decided she needed to be trapped and euthanized, I put her in a cat carrier and took her home before they could do that.
Oh and yes she is cross eyed with dark blue eyes, a trait common in Siamese.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:05 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
I'm currently owned by two small parrots, but when they go to the Great Birdcage in the Sky I think I'll be done with pet ownership. Having to set up a pet-sitting appointment every time I want to go out of town is a hassle, and I worry about what would happen to them if I was to be hospitalized for any length of time. I can always get my critter fix by volunteering at the Humane Society or perhaps the zoo or an outdoor educational setup.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:19 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
There are many, many senior pets that need adoption. I routinely see 8-12 year old pets needing homes or you could foster a senior pet and the rescue you foster for would take care of the medical bills and food. Rescues are usually desperate for fosters.

I've had mainly cats all my life, and , although they can be trouble and expensive, many things-children for instance- that are valuable are worth the trouble.

I'm 76, and these days, I don't adopt any cats except seniors. Many 10, 12 year old cats are healthy, active, and longing for a loving home. I don't want them to outlive me, and feel with most senior animals ,they won't.

It would be difficult to imagine a home without animals, and they do enrich my life, as I hope I enrich theirs.

Catsy

Old 08-07-2019, 04:24 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I was raised with a dog but after I moved from home at 18 I started getting cats. I had a long stretch without them until I met my second and late husband, and I didn't want a pet then either. However, he wanted a cat so his daughter would have a pet on the weekends she was with us (she had her own cat at home with her Mom). Well, that started the ball rolling, and at our highest count we had 9 cats and 3 dogs. However, since my husband passed away the "crew" has dwindled and I now have 5 cats: 4 rescues and my late sister's Tonkinese. Four of them range in age from 8 to 12 years of age, and the fifth is around 4 or 5 years old (it's a little harder to tell with rescues). Fortunately that younger one is my favorite, my Russian Blue "Sweet Pea". I just hope I can keep my wonky heart going long enough to outlive them all!

Old 08-07-2019, 04:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
There are many, many senior pets that need adoption. I routinely see 8-12 year old pets needing homes or you could foster a senior pet and the rescue you foster for would take care of the medical bills and food. Rescues are usually desperate for fosters.
Is there a limit on how long you can foster an animal? Do they want the animal back eventually? Or is it yours on a permanent loan?

Old 08-07-2019, 05:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Get a Vizsla they said, it’ll be fun they said.

Now that he’s two, he’s a bit calmer but he has to exercise at least once a day. He’s also Velcro- has to be close to his humans. Thankfully, Parker has no separation anxiety, isn’t gun-shy and is a soft as velvet. Loves everyone he meets, loves to climb trees and is always up for a swim.

We couldn’t love him more.

First time bird training:

“No dogs on the couch.” Says who?

His mission is to keep me moving and he’s doing a great job. That’ll bode well as I age.

Last edited by k7baixo; 08-07-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We’ve had dogs since our son was six, the last three (including the current one) were Springer spaniels. We said no more dogs after the first Springer died. That lasted three years before we got a rescue Springer. After he died we again said we were done with dogs. A year later we decided to get a female Springer puppy. I’m seeing a pattern here.

We also have two cats, both found outside near our homes. The tabby is 19 and was a semi-feral that took a lot of work to gain her trust. The black cat is 5 already and she was abandoned at 4 weeks of age. Our Springer pup, despite being rambunctious at 9 months old, has a gentle nature and both cats trust her.

They are work and stick vacs have to be the best invention ever for pet owners. Our dog gets us out of the house rain or shine and there is no “later” or sleeping in, in our world. We both love animals and despite the work and expense, still choose to have them in our lives as long as we are able.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
NO MORE pets for us! Now that we are both retired, we have a cat and a special-needs (joint issue) dog that cannot be left with anyone for long periods.

Hopefully we will live to get to travel!

Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
I have had pets my whole life. Almost 50 now and still have them. Dog, cat, horse, possibly a second dog coming. I have never not had pets of some sort.

Animals I have had over the years include,
Horses, Dogs, cats, ferrets, several kinds of birds, assorted fish, hamsters, gerbils, mice (wild and domestic), guinea pigs, goats, pigs, ducks, geese, chickens, rabbits....I am sure I am missing a few.

I was going to not get anymore dogs after the last two passed but that never happened. I adopted another one before the second old girl passed.

Animals are my favorite kind of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement