U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,801 posts, read 40,237,425 times

Advertisements

Sitting and bouncing was a curse of farming (age 8 - age ???) and Truckdriving (Age 17 - age ?? )

So THAT is what happened to the waistline

But... plenty of 'Cushion'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM

935 posts, read 241,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I have 2 careers simultaneously:

I am an insurance underwriter (desk job)
I am a fitness professional (my chosen path, my degree)

I do not hate being an underwriter, FWIW, I rather like it.
What I hate is sitting at a desk, and having to be handcuffed to the desk and the 8-5. There are UW jobs that offer something different, but not many, and you never know what BS you might have to put up with in exchange for the flexible schedule.

My goal is to retire at 55 (4 years from now) from my desk job, and do only my fitness job, plus possibly a retail gig or something non-sitting. I have zero retirement (used it to buy a house). My spouse has a lot of retirement money, but he is younger than me and will still be working/ ineligible for taking it.

Why am I so stupid, you ask? I feel like sitting is the new smoking and I am paying mentally and physically every single day. Health is my #1 priority, and this unhealthy sitting crap has become a non-starter the older I have gotten.

What is my plan, you ask?
1. I want to acquire an income property - this idea was posted on real estate thread, but only like one person responded, so I'd love more responses on this subject
2. I will still be working as stated: earning probably about $1500 month max
3. Reduce expenses- kids will be gone, only one in college, pay off cars, etc.
4. Hubby will be working for a while longer and I can be on his health insurance (if that will even be needed by then)

Did you retire from your main career at an early age and without any nest egg? How did it go?
My daughter's compay ordered her a stand up desk. It a desk top that is adjustable so she can stand while working as long as she wants. She is very fit and feels the same way you do about sitting. Sorry I can't help you with the retirement sans nest egg question.

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-07-2019 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 PM

4,007 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
You can sit AND be healthy. They are not mutually exclusive. You can exercise at lunch or in the mornings or evenings. Millions of people do it.
There is some evidence that too much sitting has a detrimental effect even if you exercise, but the data is a little questionable and the effect is not that great if there is adequate offsetting exercise.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:09 PM

1,769 posts, read 621,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
My daughter's compay ordered her a stand up desk. It a desk top that is adjustable so she can stand while working as long as she wants.

I used one of those stand-up desks for two years and ended up with plantar fasciitis in my right foot due to an "unbalanced stance" that I didn't realize I had. Also some spinal issues that I didn't have before. Podiatrist and orthopedist both blamed the use of the standup desk for too many hours. So in my case it did more (permanent) harm than good. Just FYI that those are not all unicorns and roses for everyone, LOL

Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 PM

7,445 posts, read 8,740,544 times
Marsha,

There are 'stand up' desks and desk converters where you can easily add something to an existing desk that will increase the height and hold your computer/monitor/equipment and you can stand up while working at your desk.

At one company I had a cubicle and I had the facilities guys raise the desk part on one side so I had the option of standing while at the computer. It worked out well as I could switch between sitting and standing throughout the day, which I needed for my back.

Sitting is not an excuse to quit your job, because that is easily rectified. And you probably already know there are simple and effective exercises one can do while standing up.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM

72,476 posts, read 72,387,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I retired at age 56 without a real nest egg. I do, however, have an annuity from my TSP acccount and an OPM pension which had a bonus amount added to it until I reached the age of 62 (our retirements were deemed "adverse actions" because the command was disestablished). My husband was still working at that time, but shortly thereafter his cancer, which we thought had been cured, reappeared and he died within 5 months. He did not leave a big estate, but he had modified his retirement so that I do receive two annuities from his employer for life. I also received Social Security widow's benefits starting at age 60 until age 69. I had intended to hold off on my own SS benefits until age 70, but after I had my heart attack last year I decided not to wait another full year. So altogether I have a steady income stream that is very comfortable.
for all purposes the pay checks never stopped because of your income sources , so little to no savings may be needed . not the same situation

Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM

72,476 posts, read 72,387,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Marsha,

There are 'stand up' desks and desk converters where you can easily add something to an existing desk that will increase the height and hold your computer/monitor/equipment and you can stand up while working at your desk.

At one company I had a cubicle and I had the facilities guys raise the desk part on one side so I had the option of standing while at the computer. It worked out well as I could switch between sitting and standing throughout the day, which I needed for my back.

Sitting is not an excuse to quit your job, because that is easily rectified. And you probably already know there are simple and effective exercises one can do while standing up.
got to agree ... for those who want to work they will find away , the rest will find an excuse

Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

3,789 posts, read 2,239,546 times
Masha, it sounds like you'll be shifting career focus more than retiring in full! No reason you can't charge more, or pick up more clients.

Can you find an underwriting job that you can do remotely? I do most of my work from home these days and that gives me the flexibility to move around a lot more.

I agree with you that sitting for long periods of time is detrimental even if you do work out regularly.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

4,906 posts, read 5,020,628 times
Similar to Stealth, that same wicked witch changed a company resulting in me being squeezed out at 54. At first, I wasn't worried. I had saved plenty.

I thought I'd be fine until my wife started having serious back pain issues and my group health plan from my professional association was cancelled due to the death spiral of a too small membership. Bottom line, by age 61 we were each paying about $1K per month for health insurance premiums with a $5K each deductible.

So at 61 I went back to work primarily for the group health insurance. Our monthly premium dropped to $144.

Bottom Line: The real retirement age minimum is 65. Without Medicare, you are screwed.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM

1,021 posts, read 624,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Why am I so stupid, you ask? I feel like sitting is the new smoking and I am paying mentally and physically every single day. Health is my #1 priority, and this unhealthy sitting crap has become a non-starter the older I have gotten

You never mentioned in your post you having a degree in what I am assuming is in exercise physiology, why you are not currently working in that field and working in the insurance industry instead ? That being said, the longer you wait to seek employment in the fitness industry the harder it will be to get a decent paying job in it especially since you are now >50 combined with the fact that your current job has zero to do with anything related to your degree or fitness.

If your goal is to completely leave employment in the insurance industry in 4 yeas and transition to work in the fitness industry you might want to consider now while still working in insurance to seek part-time work in the fitness industry. In gaining some fitness type of work experience when you are ready to throw in the insurance work towel you will at least have some fitness type work to put on your resume otherwise your resume will likely end up in the circular file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or