Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 PM

535 posts, read 343,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
True, but I can be on my husband's health insurance. He is younger than me and will be working longer. Hopefully by the time he retires (or sooner) there will be national healthcare, but then there is a political thread for this discussion- only mentioning because it is one thing worth considering in long range plans.

Someone mentioned he could drop dead or divorce me- true- but if I live my life always worried about stuff like that (which is my homeostatic state of constant can't-sleep-at-night-worry-over-every-detail type personality), I'd never live. What the saying? You only die once, but you live every day. I want to start living. I have worked full time since I was 15 years old. I didn't even take maternity leave. Even when I lost my main job for a couple of months, I had my side hustle job. There has not been a day in 35 years where I have not had a SCHEDULE. It's killing me, and yes, I believe sitting for 10 hours is part of that equation.
Have you figured out what would happen if he died suddenly? My friend's husband died at 58. I have worked since I was 11. I love being retired, so I hope you get what you want too. Just don't want you to have to rely on your kids if you do something impulsive.

The kids mean well, but have their own financial challenges. If you are sitting for 10 hours a day, you still have time to exercise at other times. At least when you are working, money is coming in to pay the bills.

My sister impulsively did what you want to do. She is 59. She is finding a hard time paying the bills. Her former employer has found someone else to do her job. She did it because she has cancer and does not know how long she will have to live. I can see her point.

Do any of us know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 05:37 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
So I didn't but my best cousin did.

My cousin P, lived in NYC. she was a social worker and her hubby A worked as some kind of financial lawyer. Now I won't say they retired completely broke but basically they both had stress burnout.

long story short, in a reverse Beverly hill billies move they packed up, sold a bunch of crap, quite their jobs, moved themselves and kids to a beach town in Georgia.

"A" works in a bait and tackle shop, P works in a day care. They are ridiculously slap happy. kids are happy.

they don't stress over what could possible happen when they are 80.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:28 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
A friend in my church told me that she and her husband didn't have much savings; after they both retired they went on their dream trip to Greece, but they were OK on SS. Well, from some of the things she said later it sounds like they were barely scraping by.

Her husband died a couple of weeks ago only 3 weeks after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. I have no idea what that poor woman is going to do when she's collecting only Survivor SS and the household income decreases by 1/3.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A friend in my church told me that she and her husband didn't have much savings; after they both retired they went on their dream trip to Greece, but they were OK on SS. Well, from some of the things she said later it sounds like they were barely scraping by.

Her husband died a couple of weeks ago only 3 weeks after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. I have no idea what that poor woman is going to do when she's collecting only Survivor SS and the household income decreases by 1/3.
She should head back to Greece!

Very cheap, NICE place.
nice weather, great healthcare, (when you can find it)

That is similar to what we will do when the first one croaks.

Cheap cremation (Funerals,coop)
Estate sale,
Sail off into sunset (sunrise if headed to Europe).

Next chapter...

Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
  1. Cobra (for awhile... if you can afford it
  2. ACA - best if your state has a good 'exchange' and you qualify for subsidy (That income level is not hard to arrange / live within (if married) and might be worth moving to an ACA friendly State)
  3. PT jobs with HC (there are a few choices..) https://www.moneycrashers.com/part-t...ance-benefits/ https://www.aarp.org/work/job-search...-benefits.html https://www.thefrugalgene.com/part-t...lth-insurance/
  4. USA Healthcare Cost Sharing ministries (These have worked great for many friends / family for the last 10+ yrs)
  5. Medivacations (Medical tourism) I am really fond of this and has worked excellent for me.
  6. Self Pay...
  7. Move overseas (Some on this forum have given good reviews of how this has worked / is working for them.
  8. Go back to school (student insurance, some colleges offer for PT / and 'senior' students)
  9. Travel Health Insurance (I have done this as well, not intended to be 'primary coverage' ... but not excluded from being primary). They have covered for me. (as long as you never return home... auto cancels the moment you return home)

Surely there are more options...

Get adopted
Marry for HC
stay healthy...
Almost all those suggestions are not real possibilities for an older person.

The ACA is the best possibility, but it might hit the pocketbook hard. This is what I did. It was a nightmare. I basically didn't have insurance, while I had this, since almost no doctors would take it. But different areas are different, and she might be able to afford a better policy than the ones I had.

She also MIGHT be able to get ins. through her husband's employer.

But...she's not really retiring. She's just dropping a job she doesn't like much, to focus on the other job that doesn't pay well; her husband will continue working and paying the bills. That's not really retiring, IMO.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
this 'older person' will make the necessary changes

The USA has not been friendly (HC wise). We have been successful in other countries, but it comes at a price... (isolation from family).

We have no roots to extended family.
Immediate family is used to living internationally (And we all prefer it to some extent)
You can REALLY live cheap in Greece. (and nearby)

ACA does not help after age 64... then what for next 40 yrs?

Supplements are a possibility (while you can afford them).

Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I didn't but my best cousin did.

My cousin P, lived in NYC. she was a social worker and her hubby A worked as some kind of financial lawyer. Now I won't say they retired completely broke but basically they both had stress burnout.

long story short, in a reverse Beverly hill billies move they packed up, sold a bunch of crap, quite their jobs, moved themselves and kids to a beach town in Georgia.

"A" works in a bait and tackle shop, P works in a day care. They are ridiculously slap happy. kids are happy.

they don't stress over what could possible happen when they are 80.
Sounds like my friends H and R. They sold a lucrative property in Dallas, he quit his job as an anesthetist (she has already quit her full time job and ran a yoga studio out of her house). They moved to the USVI and bought a taco truck. Super Jealous!

Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
this 'older person' will make the necessary changes

The USA has not been friendly (HC wise). We have been successful in other countries, but it comes at a price... (isolation from family).

We have no roots to extended family.
Immediate family is used to living internationally (And we all prefer it to some extent)
You can REALLY live cheap in Greece. (and nearby)

ACA does not help after age 64... then what for next 40 yrs?

Supplements are a possibility (while you can afford them).
-I will be able to be on hubby's insurance as long as he is ok and working
- As stated, I will not be completely retired, but retired from what can really support me. If I work 32 hours somewhere, I can still possibly get HC
-I am praying that the US has wised-up by the time I am 64 and we actually have healthcare like the rest of the western world.....or that I live in Norway

Old 08-09-2019, 07:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
You might want to consider, what if my husband dies, or becomes disabled, or runs off with Susie Creamcheese. I'd keep working.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
The rest of the world has negative interest rate, we don’t, at least not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement