U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:54 AM

8,957 posts, read 7,799,932 times

Advertisements

Even if your husband has a pension, his death could mean you'd little or none of it. Depends on the pension plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:12 AM

3,639 posts, read 1,598,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
She should head back to Greece!

Very cheap, NICE place.
nice weather, great healthcare, (when you can find it)

That is similar to what we will do when the first one croaks.

Cheap cremation (Funerals,coop)
Estate sale,
Sail off into sunset (sunrise if headed to Europe).

Next chapter...
Have you checked Greece requirements recently? We loved it so much, we looked into it seriously.

$2,240 monthly verified income required.

A U.S. health plan must come with you. Cheapest we found was $200 EACH.

Other than those deal-breakers (for some on a limited budget), it's great! Great weather, cheap livin'.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM

17,522 posts, read 21,385,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
  1. Cobra (for awhile... if you can afford it
  2. ACA - best if your state has a good 'exchange' and you qualify for subsidy (That income level is not hard to arrange / live within (if married) and might be worth moving to an ACA friendly State)
  3. PT jobs with HC (there are a few choices..) https://www.moneycrashers.com/part-t...ance-benefits/ https://www.aarp.org/work/job-search...-benefits.html https://www.thefrugalgene.com/part-t...lth-insurance/
  4. USA Healthcare Cost Sharing ministries (These have worked great for many friends / family for the last 10+ yrs)
  5. Medivacations (Medical tourism) I am really fond of this and has worked excellent for me.
  6. Self Pay...
  7. Move overseas (Some on this forum have given good reviews of how this has worked / is working for them.
  8. Go back to school (student insurance, some colleges offer for PT / and 'senior' students)
  9. Travel Health Insurance (I have done this as well, not intended to be 'primary coverage' ... but not excluded from being primary). They have covered for me. (as long as you never return home... auto cancels the moment you return home)

Surely there are more options...

Get adopted
Marry for HC
stay healthy...
Medical tourism, proximity to Mexico, can save you lots of money, and good quality trusted care, at the same time.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM

541 posts, read 150,235 times
Marsha, have you looked at the household expenses to see if you can live on mostly your husbandís income?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:29 AM

2,323 posts, read 809,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Have you checked Greece requirements recently? We loved it so much, we looked into it seriously.

$2,240 monthly verified income required.

A U.S. health plan must come with you. Cheapest we found was $200 EACH.
She's of Greek ancestry but has few real connections there- her life is here. Although I'm not sure how much she gets from SS, the average check for a Single is something like $1,400/month. Greece isn't an option.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM

6,906 posts, read 3,848,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I didn't but my best cousin did.

My cousin P, lived in NYC. she was a social worker and her hubby A worked as some kind of financial lawyer. Now I won't say they retired completely broke but basically they both had stress burnout.

long story short, in a reverse Beverly hill billies move they packed up, sold a bunch of crap, quite their jobs, moved themselves and kids to a beach town in Georgia.

"A" works in a bait and tackle shop, P works in a day care. They are ridiculously slap happy. kids are happy.

they don't stress over what could possible happen when they are 80.
If he was a financial lawyer in NY, he made big bucks, compared to Georgia. So my guess is they moved there with a chunk o'cash in their investment accounts. His firm no doubt had contributed more than a small sum to his 401k, as well. She had been a govt worker...bad pay, a retirement acct but maybe she won't be able to get Social Security.

So no matter what happens, they know they'll be fine. They may not be able to pay for their kids' college education, but other than that, they know they're set. They wouldn't have risked the security of their children on a song and a dream.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 AM

6,906 posts, read 3,848,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A friend in my church told me that she and her husband didn't have much savings; after they both retired they went on their dream trip to Greece, but they were OK on SS. Well, from some of the things she said later it sounds like they were barely scraping by.

Her husband died a couple of weeks ago only 3 weeks after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. I have no idea what that poor woman is going to do when she's collecting only Survivor SS and the household income decreases by 1/3.
She gets 2/3rd of her spouse's Social Security benefits? That sounds like a great deal. In any case, they knew that one of them would pass before the other, I'm sure, and had made sure each surviving spouse would be able to do okay. If they were taking a dream trip, they probably weren't pressed for money. They probably have/had retirement accounts, in addn to Social Security.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 2,859,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
You can sit AND be healthy. They are not mutually exclusive. You can exercise at lunch or in the mornings or evenings. Millions of people do it.
There are a myriad of articles talking about the dangers of sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time. Some even say two hour intense workouts can't combat the effects of sitting too long.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM

2,323 posts, read 809,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
She gets 2/3rd of her spouse's Social Security benefits? That sounds like a great deal. In any case, they knew that one of them would pass before the other, I'm sure, and had made sure each surviving spouse would be able to do okay. If they were taking a dream trip, they probably weren't pressed for money. They probably have/had retirement accounts, in addn to Social Security.
No- they were collecting 150% of his amount (she worked at social service jobs so I'm guessing what she would get on her own record was less than half of his). Now she alone will get 100% of his amount.

And what she told me was that they spent most of what they had saved for retirement on that trip and were living off SS. (And they live modestly- I'm sure it didn't involve Business Class flights and chartered yachts.)
Sadly, this is pretty common. I spend a lot of time on a Widows/Widowers Board after DH died and quite a few women had to sell the house because they could no longer afford it when the SS income decreased.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:06 PM

694 posts, read 191,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Marsha, have you looked at the household expenses to see if you can live on mostly your husbandís income?
If I walked out right now, heck no!
Goal is to lower our expenses (which are utterly ridiculous currently)
And get an income property

(I have posted questions about getting an income property a few times and no one ever responds--hhhhmm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or