U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 611,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Illegal immigrants don’t get Medicare. https://www.kff.org/disparities-poli...ed-immigrants/.

“Undocumented immigrants are not eligible to enroll in Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP or to purchase coverage through the ACA Marketplaces. Under rules issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, individuals with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are not considered lawfully present and remain ineligible for these coverage options”
At the same time, it is against the law or against regulations for SSA to ask someone to prove they are here legally. It is against the law or against regulations for SSA to ask someone if they are indeed an illegal alien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 PM

1,790 posts, read 627,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Proponents of "single payer" seem to assume their personal total costs will go down. I don't see any reason to believe that.
I don't either. Maybe for someone with significant ongoing medical expenses that continually bring large copays into play, combined with very high premiums (assuming that single payer would eliminate both, as some proponents claim -- and I don't believe THAT either.)

But I also see no hard numbers from any of the current proponents. It's difficult enough to get them to admit in plain English that everyone's taxes will indeed go up. They keep implying that "the additional new taxes will be less than what you are now paying for insurance premiums, deductibles and copays!" Oh yeah, is that so? Well, I'm not from Missouri but I still want you to Show Me. Tell me what new-tax percentage will apply to my income bracket and then let me see for myself whether that number is bigger or smaller than my current outlay for health insurance and health care expenses.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:52 AM

274 posts, read 46,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Bankrupting the system is not a foregone conclusion for Medicare for All, since all of the money people are currently paying in private premiums would transform into taxes to pay for Medicare expansion.
That is wishful thinking - much of the money for medical insurance comes from companies not private premiums people are paying. My company paid 75% of my premium, my DW's employer paid 80% of hers.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 AM

21,022 posts, read 16,851,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They get care in California. They just have to show up at the county hospital and they are taking care of. I went to one thatís how I know.
ER care is not really health care. And yes, everyone who shows up at at ER should be treated.

Those numbers are not large, stop letting them fool you into thinking this is the real problem, itís not.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:51 AM

21,022 posts, read 16,851,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
That is wishful thinking - much of the money for medical insurance comes from companies not private premiums people are paying. My company paid 75% of my premium, my DW's employer paid 80% of hers.
As an aside, how much higher your salaries can go when they no longer have to do that.

Let’s take some of tat pork we funnel to Boeing for military planes we don’t need and get citizens decent health care. Like I said it’s priorities.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 AM

961 posts, read 244,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
"Part C" is a euphemism for a Medicare Advantage plan. Those are private insurance policies. They are an alternative to traditional Medicare and they work like a normal non-Medicare health insurance policy does in most respects, except that (and I am oversimplifying here a bit) someone who opts for one of these instead of regular Medicare will have the Medicare Advantage premium partly funded by what they would otherwise pay (via SS deduction) for Medicare Part B.

A person cannot have traditional Medicare AND the so-called "Part C" which most people simply call a Medicare Advantage plan. It is either/or. You are not allowed to have both at the same time. So you either have regular Medicare and pay $135 (in most cases) for Part B plus whatever the premium is for whatever Part D private drug coverage you choose (plus a Supplement policy if you want to add one) OR you pay a single premium to one of the Medicare Advantage ("Part C") insurance companies. Medicare Advantage policies automatically include drug coverage.

The page you linked to is a good explanation of what the Medicare premiums and costs are. Although it looks expensive it is VERY much cheaper than the average person has to pay nowadays for any other kind of individual health insurance policy. It's true that regular Medicare does not cover everything (for example eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc) but it is still MUCH less expensive than anything else out there. You cannot get the equivalent major-medical-type coverage of Medicare Part B for only $135/month (roughly $1600/year) anywhere else. If a person under 65 were to buy health insurance equal to Medicare Parts A and B privately, they would probably be paying almost that much per month rather than per year.

Regular Medicare is an extremely good deal, despite a few shortcomings. There is no such thing as "free" health insurance, despite what any politician may say.

I have been on all sides of this particular fence, having had normal insurance coverage during my working years, then went 15 years with no health insurance at all (completely self pay), and now have traditional Medicare. Luckily I take no meds and so I have the least expensive Part D (drug plan) available which costs $16.50 per month ($198 per year.) I pay it all up front in January so I don't have to bother with monthly premiums. If drug coverage wasn't mandatory I wouldn't bother with that coverage because in four years I have used it ONCE .... for a $7 prescription for an antibiotic taken after getting an implant. It irks me that I have to pay $200 a year for nothing but the law is what it is. Most people I know are taking multiple medications, some quite expensive, and so for them the Part D requirement is a good thing but IMHO it should be optional. Part D has only existed since 2006, by the way.

Your explanation is very good but I don't think you understand "adverse selection" and how it affects insurance premiums. If Part D was optional, most people like yourself who rarely use rx, would not select it so the rx costs are spread over only those who select it, largely high utilizers. Because of this the premiums would be prohibitive. Stated another way, insurance relies on low utilizers to subsidize the cost so it stays affordable for all. Furthermore, none of know when we could get cancer and depend upon chemotherapy so we are paying as insurance against potential future catastrophic costs.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:27 AM

13,773 posts, read 6,534,991 times
Quote:
ER care is not really health care. And yes, everyone who shows up at at ER should be treated.

Those numbers are not large, stop letting them fool you into thinking this is the real problem, it’s not.
I disagree, it’s a long line. One woman told me her son was having something minor. It’s not life threatening. It’s healthcare, stop letttng them fool you otherwise.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
As an aside, how much higher your salaries can go when they no longer have to do that.

Letís take some of tat pork we funnel to Boeing for military planes we donít need and get citizens decent health care. Like I said itís priorities.
Talking points from the Dimocrats. Take your politics to the political section.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:30 AM

290 posts, read 112,808 times
I suspect that employees will pay the premium their employer currently pays if Medicare for All comes to pass. I wonder if employers are going to give everyone pay increases to support the additional tax? Bernie actually admitted that taxes will increase to pay for Medicare for All. It will be interesting to see what comes to pass.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:32 AM

I seriously doubt the employers are going to give everybody a pay increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or