U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 AM

290 posts, read 112,808 times

Advertisements

I agree that employers are unlikely to increase wages to cover medical insurance costs. I'd be surprised if any did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 08:35 AM

13,807 posts, read 9,917,880 times
As long as the government debauches the money and keeps inflation pounding, there's no need to "reduce" benefits. They'll drop in value over and over.
Thank you, Congress, may I have another?

Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM

961 posts, read 244,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
An utterly logical solution.

Yet, I bet many here instead of understanding that the real problem with Medicare is that health care costs are increasing exponentially and that people are living longer than they did fifty years ago (thus requiring greater expenditures towards their health care needs).

We need solutions, but those solutions need to take the form of constructive ideas--like raising taxes--rather than looking for a bogeyman like "thieving politicians that steal our money".

Medicare fraud needs to be rooted out and prosecuted. I would also like to see price controls on the costs of prescription medication. We can start with those like insulin that are "life-saving" or mandatory.
But in a sense it is political . . . drug manufacturers have one of the largest and strongest lobbys in DC. They will fight price controls and how the power to do it.

Drug manufacturers do discount rx but to drug management companies. It is largely group plans that receive the benefit.

Ask yourself why company paid healthcare benefits are tax deductible to the company but not taxable to employees. This is a form of compensation that should be taxable to employees but no politician will take this on.

THere are a myriad of ways to get control of healthcare costs but there isn't the political will power.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 AM

13,773 posts, read 6,534,991 times
If you are self employed, you can deduct healthcare. Whoever pays get to deduct is usually the rules.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 AM

2,398 posts, read 611,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
As an aside, how much higher your salaries can go when they no longer have to do that.
That's a fair point - but note that only some of it will flow to the employee. It's a function of the price elasticity of supply and price elasticity of demand for labor in each of the many sub-market segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Letís take some of tat pork we funnel to Boeing for military planes we donít need and get citizens decent health care. Like I said itís priorities.
That's another fair point, but note that doing so allocates an even higher percentage of GDP to health care expenditures. That's sort of like trying to put out a fire by dousing it with gasoline.

As an aside, regarding Boeing's military contracting business - Boeing has military contracting operations in each of the Lower 48 States. On purpose. Trying to cut Boeing's share of the military pie will elicit howls from each of the 2 senators from each of those 48 states. This has been tried.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
If you are self employed, you can deduct healthcare. Whoever pays get to deduct is usually the rules.
Yes, I am well aware as I have been self-employed but that's because when you are self-employed, you are "the company" or business owner if you will and paying premiums or "fringe benefits" are considered a form of employee compensation. Employee compensation is a deductible business expense.

Conversely, compensation is taxable to employees; ergo employer paid healthcare premiums should be taxable. This topic actually was part of the discussion for Trump's tax cuts but was shot down.

I do not wish this to become a political argument; however, to deny politics plays any role in controlling healthcare costs is foolhardy.

A good article that explains how this exclusion impacts healthcare costs:

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...insurance-work

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-10-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 AM

13,773 posts, read 6,534,991 times
It’s not just the executive level, the low level employees don’t want to be taxed either. Ask the union workers, they don’t want to be taxed either. It works both ways.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Itís not just the executive level, the low level employees donít want to be taxed either. Ask the union workers, they donít want to be taxed either. It works both ways.
I didn't say it was just the executive level -- the emphasis was, as the article points out, the executive level benefits the most from a tax standpoint. In fact many executives will forsake taxable compensation for non-taxable fringe benefits. For a health benefits standpoint, executives value rich benefit plans where there is no out of pocket. I worked in executive benefits for many years and know how the tax code can be used to shield compensation. (To mitigate this, there are non-discrimination rules that apply to certain plans.)

Your point underscores my main point -- politicians do not have the political will since it is not a popular option among certain key constituents, ie., special interest groups (unions and strong lobbys). No discussion of healthcare costs is complete without everything on the table.

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-10-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM

21,022 posts, read 16,851,089 times
Quote:
Talking points from the Dimocrats. Take your politics to the political section.
I wasn't the one who brought politics into it, but was responding to others. I can't help it if they thought their posts would stand unchallenged.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:19 AM

248 posts, read 200,542 times
Quote:
I disagree, itís a long line. One woman told me her son was having something minor. Itís not life threatening. Itís healthcare, stop letttng them fool you otherwise.
Actually ERs have never been for just life threatening stuff.....probably only a small %fall into that category....unless it is a trauma center

Major issue is those seen in ER for what we call minor...get no meds.just a script...and no follow up care....that is emergent care, not healthcare..

Now the real bad ones that need admit, surgery, ICU etc are the budget busters

A nurse with 50 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or