Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Long Do You Estimate You Sit on An Average Day?
24 hours straight 1 2.94%
16+or- hours 2 5.88%
12+or- hours 2 5.88%
8+or- hours 17 50.00%
4+or- hours 10 29.41%
1-2 hours 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 09:52 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

Way too much. I suspect 5-6 hours on average. Some days more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 02:24 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I bike 10 miles every other day at the gym followed by weight training and walk the dogs every day.

I probably sit less than I did while working. But yes, I do sit. A lot.
same here - but run 4-6 miles, do all kinds of exercise every morning (yoga, Pilates, lifting), sometimes swim laps,----but I think I better get up and move around more in the afternoons - perhaps a walk around the block every afternoon - although I am at my normal weight....one thing I have become aware of is the possibility of that "old mans posture" that I see in other middaged to older men and it may come from the sitting.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I would take a guess that between sitting and a nap that it might be six hours at the worst.

As the OP said this bad habit is in the news, and I have a couple of health problems which are exacerbated by prolonged sitting. I do try to make sure that my sitting time is broken up, even if only by ten or fifteen minutes at a time.

I start almost every day with a walk of half and hour to forty minutes. I am fairly crippled and have to walk with elbow canes, so this is about the max I can do for prolonged walking. However, I try to schedule one housekeeping project per day that will keep me up for a half hour or more....mopping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming, etc. And then though I do use the computer a lot and read a great deal, I take breaks and walk to the cafe down on the corner, and if I have errands to do I do not park at the place I am going to, but at a ten minute or more walking distance from it.

My hope is that all these walking and working breaks do significantly eat into my sitting time.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
"Sitting" is in the news. It's not good for you.

How long would you estimate you sit daily?
I have a desk job, so I sit all day. But, I work out at lunch, or walk, and hit the gym after work. And I take "walking breaks" during the day as well. I make up for it.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
I put 8+/- but it is probably closer to 10 across a span of 16 hours. The study I read on this was more correlation than causation and used self reported breaks and exercise, which people tend to over estimate (there have been studies on that also). Anyway, the point is that among the long duration sitters are many people who don't exercise or take breaks nearly as often as they claim. They are also more likely to be overweight.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
If sitting means "legs down"---zero.

I am either sitting up in bed (the best view) or after dark, on the couch recliner.

Cooking, dishes, walking on the beach or Spanish lessons on the elliptical are the only upright activities.

After a lifetime of physical work (no desk jobs) it feels nice to relax.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Probably quite a bit, I also exercise quite a bit. I've been battling back pain for a couple months and standing exacerbates it, so a little more than usual.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement