Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:03 AM

749 posts, read 580,342 times

Advertisements

The old cliche is that the more you put into something, the more you get out of it.
Teachers, counselors, coaches, everyone says that. It is not always true, I found. Over the years
I have put a great amount of effort into projects, and actually achieved much less. So it is frustrating
and a sort of dead-end,aggravating. maybe a waste of time?
Examples: searching for fulfilling jobs, finding someone to marry, publishing work, moving, etc. If your goal relies on other people, then who knows? Sometimes the things you worry about are NOT the things that end up mattering to you.
P.S. This idea came from Karl Marx, who wrote that about the toiling workers of his time.

Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:18 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times
Lower your standards and you'll be happy the rest of you life.
"Good Enough" is enough.

If you don't believe me, go search for a parking space and wait in two lines to pay $4 for a 69 cent cup of coffee.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:58 AM

515 posts, read 360,151 times
If all that mattered were the hours you put in, waitresses would rule the world.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:09 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
You consider finding someone to marry a project?? Don't you just wait until you fall in love with a compatible person? And moving?...what you get out of it is you now live in a new place, so I don't see how you get less out of it if you put more effort into it. It's the same outcome, you live in a new place, except if you do it yourself you're more tired and probably hurt your back lifting that darn couch.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
The old cliche is that the more you put into something, the more you get out of it.
Teachers, counselors, coaches, everyone says that. It is not always true, I found. Over the years
I have put a great amount of effort into projects, and actually achieved much less. So it is frustrating
Examples: searching for fulfilling jobs, finding someone to marry, publishing work, moving, etc. If your goal relies on other people, then who knows? Sometimes the things you worry about are NOT the things that end up mattering to you.
P.S. This idea came from Karl Marx, who wrote that about the toiling workers of his time.

Agree?
Do you overthink things? I always get good results with little effort.

Well except now for putting my mind to stop packing on these pounds.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:35 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

Agree?
Who is this "everyone?" I don't say it.

There is a difference between effort and success. If you are trying to learn to play a musical instrument, practice helps -up to the point of your abilities. If you are trying to get to the other side of a brick wall, you can put great effort into banging your head against it... or you can walk around it.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Who is this "everyone?" I don't say it.
There's a pervasive theme in American culture, that effort --> success, so that lack of success implies lack of effort (by contrapositive). It's all part of self-bootstrapping, DIY, practice-makes-perfect, and "anything worth doing, is worth doing well". Here's a related thread: “You mean you aren’t even going to try?!?:” Our bias towards action

While of course there's some connection between making an effort, and obtaining some result, the popular trope is excessive. This is why I contend, that "Of most things that are worth doing, few are actually worth doing well". And I'd add, that the older than one gets, the clearer this lesson becomes.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:54 PM

83 posts, read 73,361 times
A$$, Ga$, or Gra$$, nobody rides for free.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:09 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You consider finding someone to marry a project?? Don't you just wait until you fall in love with a compatible person?
Of course it’s a project, if you’re looking for someone with certain traits or life goals.

Or you could just do what some women do, fall for every bad boy loser that glances your way.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:15 PM

30,524 posts, read 16,217,604 times
sometimes the journey is more important than the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement