Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

I am turning 70 in December. I am not extraordinarily fit and active but I have always felt fit, healthy, and well. The only medication I take daily is thyroid pills. But I feel age is finally catching up with me this year.

I have seasonal allergy and those symptoms can debilitate me, resulting in cancelled plans for birding or something I enjoy very much. The occurrence and severity seems to have increased this year.
I have never had digestive problems and could eat anything I wanted to. Now I have acid reflux which is causing coughs and sore throat.
I developed rotator cuff pain - not sure how it happened.Treating with physical therapy, ibuprofen, ice and visits to the gym to strengthen muscles. It has helped a lot but still not 100% recovered, some mobility problems.

I seem to need need several naps! I suspect it might have something to do with how much screen time I spend in CD! My eyes get tired when reading any kind of text for some time.
I am supposed to take Vitamin D and calcium but I have been careless with it. Now I have decided to take them more regularly.

Something or other is always sore - knees, joints, feet.

How do you feel? How do stay fit? What do you do at the gym? what supplements do you take? What hurts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
I was pretty fit for most of my life, running, martial arts, cycling, exercise. Turning 50 was a piece of cake, even 60s were not that bad. Turning 70 however has been markedly different. At 71, I too feel the almost constant fatigue and lack of stamina. I’ve noticed for the first time that my balance is not as good as it was.

I commented in another thread that, even if one avoids serious disease, or physical trauma, this thing called old age is going to kill every single one of us all by itself. I’ve come to the realization that I actually am feeling the impact of that now. It’s probably my greatest frustration in life. I’m sure for some lucky folks, they just keep right on trucking until they drop but for others, we feel it coming on at some point. For me, it was turning 70. It seemed like it came on fairly quickly.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I was pretty fit for most of my life, running, martial arts, cycling, exercise. Turning 50 was a piece of cake, even 60s were not that bad. Turning 70 however has been markedly different. At 71, I too feel the almost constant fatigue and lack of stamina. I’ve noticed for the first time that my balance is not as good as it was.

I commented in another thread that, even if one avoids serious disease, or physical trauma, this thing called old age is going to kill every single one of us all by itself. I’ve come to the realization that I actually am feeling the impact of that now. It’s probably my greatest frustration in life. I’m sure for some lucky folks, they just keep right on trucking until they drop but for others, we feel it coming on at some point. For me, it was turning 70. It seemed like it came on fairly quickly.

Elizabeth Warren is the same age as me. I cannot imagine campaigning the way she does. What is the magic?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
This guy is 68. I wonder how many 25 year old dudes could do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuyVceYzzS0

Old 08-08-2019, 07:59 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How do you feel?
Not nearly as good as I did at 60 and lightyears downhill from how I felt at 50.

Quote:
How do you stay fit?
I'm not sure how one defines "fit" at this age, honestly. My weight is not a problem (I'm 5' 4.5" and weigh 124 which is right in the middle of the ideal range) and have a BMI of 21.3 so am okay there. Don't smoke or drink. Could I play any kind of sport without getting winded pretty much immediately? Probably not. So I guess I'm not what today's culture considers "fit." I don't exercise. Zero motivation, to be honest. It sounds prissy but I don't like to sweat. Or as my Victorian great-grandmother would probably say, "perspire."

Quote:
What do you do at the gym?
What's a gym?

Quote:
what supplements do you take?
Just a simple one-a-day basic-RDA multivitamin without minerals or iron, twice a week. If I take it any more frequently all multivitamins will cause reflux within less than two days. Obviously one or more of the "ingredients" causes it but it's impossible to know which one. I have never been able to take any supplemental iron or zinc, both cause painful urinary system problems; doc says that it's rare to be hypersensitive to ferrous sulfate but some people are.

Quote:
What hurts?
Lower back, coccyx, and multiple sections of my right leg and foot. Also cannot kneel on any uncushioned surface without knee pain (although xrays and MRIs show normal) ever since my mid 50s. On the bright side, in the years since retirement my early stage carpal tunnel syndrome gradually disappeared. I used to have to wear the wrist brace every night but after about six years retirement I no longer needed it. It's ironic because I probably spend almost as many hours at the computer in retirement as I did when I was working but maybe it was the combination of keyboard time at work AND at home that was the tipping point. Anyway I'm glad I no longer need to wear that thing. On the flip side, I never had lower back or right leg problems back then so it's a tossup which was/is worse. The back/leg thing probably.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:03 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
This guy is 68. I wonder how many 25 year old dudes could do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuyVceYzzS0
Jeez, I would imagine that all of them could except for the very obese-especially if there was a woman underneath them.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Elizabeth Warren is the same age as me. I cannot imagine campaigning the way she does. What is the magic?
Money

Old 08-08-2019, 08:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
especially if there was a woman underneath them.
That was in many of the YouTube comments.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 AM

121 posts, read 89,002 times
I am 64 so no experience of 70 but some of OP’s observations ring true already ie decreasing stamina, balance not what it was, reflux from food that never caused issues before (pizza is now a no no☹️). Nothing major but feeling it.
I will keep up my walking (about an hour most days) and gym 30-45 mins 4 days a week trying to keep what fitness I have.
Being aware of creeping decline motivates me to do some big trips sooner rather than later because I fear I may lose ability in 5-10 years. That was the strong advice from my mother-in-law who lost energy for trips long before ticking off her list.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:27 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Hope I am still around in five years,to answerthis question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement