U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 11:37 AM

200 posts, read 117,903 times

Advertisements

The posted link is doling out limited information, certainly not new, for the sole purpose of bringing in new customers/investors, it's also used to create income for the owner of the site hence the array of ads on the website connected to AdSense or similar. Nothing wrong with what Investopedia is trying to accomplish (make money) but the purpose of the article is nothing more than a marketing strategy.

The article states the following: Why Baby Boomers Lack Funds - A key reason Boomers lack funds is the stock market decline of 2008 to 2009. This leads people to believe that the majority of Boomers had investments to begin with. Anybody believe that? Boomers lack retirement funds for various reasons, some of their own doing, some not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:44 PM

3,998 posts, read 3,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
poverty of others is a concern , it is not my worry or job to solve .
I think you've made that abundantly clear over the years..And, I agree with the thought that none of us is personally responsible for the other, but as a nation we certainly do have a need to address poverty in terms of how it affects the greater society.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:59 PM

29,995 posts, read 35,084,332 times
Many of these people have been living on welfare and will continue to do so.
The crisis will be people not on welfare during their working years needing it in their older years. There are also people not eligible for SS with no savings or pensions who have little or no work history that contributed to SS.

Poverty and acute poverty are the norm for millions under age 65.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM

72,795 posts, read 72,628,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I think you've made that abundantly clear over the years..And, I agree with the thought that none of us is personally responsible for the other, but as a nation we certainly do have a need to address poverty in terms of how it affects the greater society.
Thatís why it is a concern. .it has to be addressed...but not by me ...I ainít smart enough to save the world

Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM

8,101 posts, read 4,955,028 times
Quote:
How are "we" responsible if a person refuses to pursue the abundant opportunities available?

One doesn't even need a college education. I think college is wasted on many. People can do well for themselves in the trades, start their own businesses and create wealth. One thing this country lacks is blue collar role models. The idea that everyone needs a university degree has created a lot of misery.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:17 PM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
A nation can only do so much. Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. Quote from a good looking president with a better looking wife.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 PM
JRR

3,759 posts, read 2,270,514 times
Quote:
That is also how I see it. Sitting around and assigning blame for poverty doesn't solve anything. The reality is that poverty is a national problem and needs to be dealt with. No individual can do it, but as a nation we could, if we would take time out from continually spitting at each other.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:19 PM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
That is also how I see it. Sitting around and assigning blame for poverty doesn't solve anything. The reality is that poverty is a national problem and needs to be dealt with. No individual can do it, but as a nation we could, if we would take time out from continually spitting at each other.
We’ve been trying to deal with poverty since the 60s.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM

8,101 posts, read 4,955,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Weíve been trying to deal with poverty since the 60s.

And it's been a disaster. Which makes it quite apparent that a governmental solution is NOT the answer.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:08 PM

3,998 posts, read 3,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
How are "we" responsible if a person refuses to pursue the abundant opportunities available?

One doesn't even need a college education. I think college is wasted on many. People can do well for themselves in the trades, start their own businesses and create wealth. One thing this country lacks is blue collar role models. The idea that everyone needs a university degree has created a lot of misery.
My views on poverty don't necessarily include a lot of concern for those who won't become responsible for their own actions, but, I definitely feel compassion for those who are living in poverty while making their best attempts to push on toward any thing which may improve their lot in life. As for your comment on blue collar trades I couldn't agree more.

Mike Rowe of the Dirty Jobs TV show has been saying for years that more young people need to stop thinking of college as the one and only path to financial well being. On another note, I do think that reading through the multitude of studies done on American poverty is most likely not something the average American feels is necessary in order to get a better grasp of the very real and complex issues surrounding generational poverty. And because of that reality we can easily see the difficulty in any attempt to have a rational discussion with most people. Simple answers to complex problems abound in that environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or