U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 08:06 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,198,122 times

Advertisements

I dated someone who lost everything except her SSI payments and Medicare. She was, however, living in her daughters house and was well taken care of. I felt like Warren Buffet with my 401K and big SSI paycheck every month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 03:28 AM

310 posts, read 53,199 times
The thing I object to the most is paying taxes to cover others poor decisions - they learn nothing if government bails them out quickly, they just repeat the same thing again if it doesn't hurt at least a little.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:31 AM

72,795 posts, read 72,628,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The thing I object to the most is paying taxes to cover others poor decisions - they learn nothing if government bails them out quickly, they just repeat the same thing again if it doesn't hurt at least a little.
most never change , they adapt to what they have and go on status quo regardless. some can't , some won't , make any changes

Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 AM

310 posts, read 53,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most never change , they adapt to what they have and go on status quo regardless. some can't , some won't , make any changes
very true

Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 AM

12,342 posts, read 15,312,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The thing I object to even more is politicians or bureaucrats who leave for cushy private sector jobs in firms that later get a lot of government contracts. I know, that's how the system works. OK, this may belong in the politics forum.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,710,001 times
Quote:
There is an interesting Sociology/Child Psychology theory which may explain why so many adults can't or won't change. The theory is Adverse Childhood Experiences, or ACE. A series of 10 questions, answerable with Yes or No responses, each Yes counts as one point. A score of 4 or higher indicates high risk of the individual being affected for their entire lifetime by events which happened in their early childhood. First published in 1978 (IIRC), tested or re-studied many times since, no failures yet of the theory in the follow-up studies.

My wife first learned of ACE 3 or 4 years ago when the entire Teaching Staff in her School District had a guest speaker discussing the study and its implications when dealing with Special Needs Students in the Classroom. My wife is a Special-Ed Para-Pro who works one-on-one or in small groups with special needs students in Elementary grades. Out of the nearly 200 Teachers and Support Staff who heard the presentation and subsequently took the 10 question assessment, most scored a 0, 1, or 2. One Teacher scored a 3.

My wife scored a 6 or 7! Three of the questions for which she answered No for her childhood experiences were: Was she the victim of a sexual assault?, Did she witness a murder?, Did she suffer the death of a primary care-giver?

My wife has often told me that the best thing that ever happened in her life was meeting me, getting married, and moving away from her Mother and family. Her 50+ year old Siblings who are effectively incapacitated in improving their lives all had the same childhood experiences. The one Sibling who is doing OK to well is 10 years younger and was spared from nearly all of these negative childhood experiences, possibly because my wife assumed the role of being his surrogate Mother and protector.

The primary protagonist of these adverse experiences was their Mother - who is still alive. And in true Stockholm Syndrome fashion, the three emotionally incapacitated adult siblings still cling to their Mother to this day, looking for any sign of maternal concern and love.

So very sad. Three wasted lives because of one truly horrible parent.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 08-13-2019 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 AM

it is also because it is much easier to keep doing what you do then trying to make a change happen

Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,710,001 times
Quote:
it is also because it is much easier to keep doing what you do then trying to make a change happen

Agreed. People tend to get stuck in a rut and refuse to expend the energy necessary to change. As I read somewhere at sometime: "A rut is nothing more than a grave with one end still open."

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Agreed. People tend to get stuck in a rut and refuse to expend the energy necessary to change. As I read somewhere at sometime: "A rut is nothing more than a grave with one end still open."
it is where those who commit financial suicide end up

Old 08-13-2019, 07:26 AM

24,068 posts, read 17,905,479 times
Here's an interesting anecdote.

My mother will be 62 in two months and has already retired due to poor health. She's worked for all her life, except for five years or so when I was little. She's always had lower end jobs and had just recently gotten to $40,000 a year. Her SS is only going to be around $1,100/month. She has some savings and pension income, but they are nominal.

My girlfriend is 25 and just received SSI benefits last month. She had the typical part-time high school work and had also worked full-time at a call center for awhile. The call center paid $13/hr. While her SSI is less than my mother's SS amount, girlfriend is also on SNAP, and the combination of those two benefits is more than mom's SS. Because she's on SSI, girlfriend is eligible for Section 8 housing benefits (her father works for the local city housing authority and is working on getting her a place), and Medicaid.

All told, girlfriend's benefits are worth a lot more monthly than what mom will bring in from private savings and SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or