U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 11:07 AM

11,070 posts, read 9,462,386 times

Advertisements

Are they getting anything else? What do they do for housing? Do they get foodstamps, etc.? And how do they live? Just cause they're doing it doesn't mean they're not screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That is not true.

I have neighbors who live on SSDI of $800/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM

72,795 posts, read 72,628,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Anyone who has to live on $1,100/month, and really has no other source of income/support, is pretty screwed anywhere in the US.
when you get that low there generally are welfare perks available and subsidies on quite a few things . here in nyc very few really live on such low amounts only . we have utility subsidies , tax subsidies , snap , no rent increases ever if in a stabilized apartment , health insurance subsidies etc

Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That’s because we didn’t have the political will to go nuclear.
There you go again, getting political. How about people don’t have the will to get off poverty. You and your family did. How about that?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when you get that low there generally are welfare perks available and subsidies on quite a few things . here in nyc very few really live on such low amounts only .
Housing subsidies, SNAP, free cell phone, free utilities as well.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:38 AM

30,847 posts, read 49,739,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Are they getting anything else? What do they do for housing? Do they get foodstamps, etc.? And how do they live? Just cause they're doing it doesn't mean they're not screwed.
This part of New England has a very low COL.

My pension gives me around $1500/month, after 18 years of retirement I have saved up enough extra cash that I bought an apartment complex in a neighboring town, that we are remodeling and hope to have filled with tenants soon.

We live in the state with the oldest average age, the highest percentage of retirees. People move here [as I did] when they are done with their careers. They buy a house on 10+ acres, and start gardening or raising horses. Everyone in my town hunts, fishes and does some form of foraging [mushrooms, fiddleheads, ginseng, etc].

I own 150 acres of dense forest with a quarter-mile of river frontage, and a large new house, my property taxes are around $800/year.

My Dw and I produce most of our own food, and we barter among our neighbors a lot.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Dirt cheap food. Two twin lobsters for $24.99, you can’t even get that price in the local fish market.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 PM

3,767 posts, read 962,615 times
Quote:

My pension gives me around $1500/month, after 18 years of retirement I have saved up enough extra cash that I bought an apartment complex in a neighboring town, that we are remodeling and hope to have filled with tenants soon.

We live in the state with the oldest average age, the highest percentage of retirees. People move here [as I did] when they are done with their careers. They buy a house on 10+ acres, and start gardening or raising horses. Everyone in my town hunts, fishes and does some form of foraging [mushrooms, fiddleheads, ginseng, etc].

I own 150 acres of dense forest with a quarter-mile of river frontage, and a large new house, my property taxes are around $800/year.

My Dw and I produce most of our own food, and we barter among our neighbors a lot.
Yep nope. Can't do that here. $100k 2BD / 1BA on 0.9 acres is $1000 a year in property taxes. You get some relief with large tracts of land if it's forestry but there are conditions.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/north-c...ty-tax-program

Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 PM

29,995 posts, read 35,084,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
There you go again, getting political. How about people don’t have the will to get off poverty. You and your family did. How about that?
And just how did you come to that conclusion? That can be interpreted from either side many would say our fiscal efforts were not strong enough and needed more money and support.

My statement can be a great discussion starter.

Focused Round the Great Society effort there were multiple programs hoping to eliminate poverty. In varying degrees they were successful and in other ways not.

There is the condition of being poor which is poverty.

There are also those living in the condition who are poor people.

Do you personally want to eliminate the condition or the people?

Or perhaps neither as it isn’t relevant to you?

I am not sure what the source of your comments to me are derived from.

Last edited by TuborgP; 08-13-2019 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 792,011 times
Quote:

That sounds fantastic and really affordable. How do retirees deal with all the snow and ice and extreme cold though? I am pushing 60 and find temperature extremes more difficult to tolerate than when I was younger. Of course, currently, we are in the "too hot" part of the US.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 PM

620 posts, read 176,031 times
People get used to the cold. My 94 year old aunt lives in Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or