U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 PM

1,839 posts, read 646,955 times

Advertisements

Given the choice, I'd rather have "too cold" than "too hot." At least with cold you can add layers pretty much ad infinitum. There's a limit to how much clothes you can shed (especially if a woman) and not get arrested. And frankly, the older we get there's often more reason to cover up than to expose!

That said, even though I live in one of the most temperate parts of the country (no extremes, at least not for more than a few days or a couple of weeks at most), I still gripe when the temperature goes below 32 or above 82 ... or if we get more than 4" of snow at one time, or more than 2 ft of it in a single season.

I have friends in the west and southwest who start experiencing 100+ degrees as early as May, and others in the north and midwest who get their first snow in late September or early October. I would never want to deal with either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And just how did you come to that conclusion? That can be interpreted from either side many would say our fiscal efforts were not strong enough and needed more money and support.

My statement can be a great discussion starter.

Focused Round the Great Society effort there were multiple programs hoping to eliminate poverty. In varying degrees they were successful and in other ways not.

There is the condition of being poor which is poverty.

There are also those living in the condition who are poor people.

Do you personally want to eliminate the condition or the people?

Or perhaps neither as it isnít relevant to you?

I am not sure what the source of your comments to me are derived from.
Simple, you said thereís no political will. This post is political too. I wish you donít keep bring it up your political point of view.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 PM

99 posts, read 83,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I did all the right things prior to retiring:

-saved a huge pile
-paid off all debt
-live in a fairly low col area
-have Medicare
-signed up for SS

Then I discovered that because I had "contributed" the max into SS for more than 35 years, our monthly SS check would be about $4K.

That's plenty. We still haven't tapped that huge pile.

But maybe we won't need it.
I am available for adoption 😊

Old 08-13-2019, 01:49 PM

24,068 posts, read 17,905,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when you get that low there generally are welfare perks available and subsidies on quite a few things . here in nyc very few really live on such low amounts only . we have utility subsidies , tax subsidies , snap , no rent increases ever if in a stabilized apartment , health insurance subsidies etc
That's standard blue state stuff.

Try living in Tennessee on that income. There will be very few subsidies.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:30 PM

72,795 posts, read 72,628,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's standard blue state stuff.

Try living in Tennessee on that income. There will be very few subsidies.
It very well equate to the same purchasing power comparing the two locations .. one with the perks in the hcola May equal the same income in Tennessee with no perks

Old 08-13-2019, 03:47 PM

2,490 posts, read 638,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They will be fine. Trust me.
I trust you.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM

15,819 posts, read 26,950,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In housing it's very popular now to have MIL suites for the parent to live with the kids like so many cultures do.

Those that must and have kids may have to take that route.
A family I have known for years ended up buying their home later in life, after already having kids. When retirement age came their youngest daughter, her husband, and their three kids were living with them saving up to buy a home. They mention to the kids that they plan on retiring. They then ask if the youngest daughter and her husband would like to take over the mortgage. They made an agreement that the parents would be able to stay in the home for the remainder of their years and that the youngest daughter, husband, and kids would then get the house.

This has worked out great for all of them. The parents were able to retire to the same lifestyle that they already had. The youngest daughter and family were able to get a home in Southern California.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:36 PM

29,995 posts, read 35,084,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Simple, you said there’s no political will. This post is political too. I wish you don’t keep bring it up your political point of view.
Please tell, what is my political point and how did you come to that conclusion?

Policy requires enactment and legislation either way or a lack of action either way.

Isn’t this thread about people retiring with no savings and the financial challenges they might face. Are you suggesting there is no societal discussion about that? Are you saying it is only for forum discussion and not consideration by society of doing something or doing nothing?

A lack of will doesn’t denote a negative but rather the lack of a willingness to do something for what ever reason. Perhaps if I had just said a lack of willingness you would have been more at ease with my comment.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 PM

29,995 posts, read 35,084,332 times
Many homes now have two masters one up and up and one down. One of the issues with one story homes in expensive housing areas is the size of the house footprint and land costs.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM

11,070 posts, read 9,462,386 times
Are you getting Social Security also? And it sounds like you do things suspiciously like working to make some cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This part of New England has a very low COL.

My pension gives me around $1500/month, after 18 years of retirement I have saved up enough extra cash that I bought an apartment complex in a neighboring town, that we are remodeling and hope to have filled with tenants soon.

We live in the state with the oldest average age, the highest percentage of retirees. People move here [as I did] when they are done with their careers. They buy a house on 10+ acres, and start gardening or raising horses. Everyone in my town hunts, fishes and does some form of foraging [mushrooms, fiddleheads, ginseng, etc].

I own 150 acres of dense forest with a quarter-mile of river frontage, and a large new house, my property taxes are around $800/year.

My Dw and I produce most of our own food, and we barter among our neighbors a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or