U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 AM

8,170 posts, read 4,991,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I haven't received a better offer. With that said, I have a relatively easy job, a good boss, and am paid fairly well by local standards. My job prior to this seemed like a great match on paper - once I got there, it was hellish. With things going relatively well, I don't want to upset the apple cart. Having a boss you like

If I could get 50% more in Raleigh, I'd move. I'm not moving for a 10% raise. I frequently get recruiters from where I used to live in Iowa reaching out to me. This area isn't perfect, but overall, I'd rather live here than Iowa.
You could have just said "I'm complacent" and saved a lot of words.

No one is going to give you a better offer, because you settled for what you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:09 AM

2,541 posts, read 657,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Have you heard of Yucaipa?
People who live in Muscoy and San Bernardino aspire to move to Yucaipa.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 AM

7,595 posts, read 8,800,007 times
Those motivated enough to make changes in their lives will make bold moves.

Years ago I moved cross country with no job and knew no one at the time. I didn't let that stop me; I was ready for change. If you're tenacious and resourceful and willing to be a go-getter you can accomplish a lot. If you're educated and have good skills and experience you can compete. If you don't currently have the skills or education you can get them. If you're outgoing you can meet lots of people over time. Attitude is important as well as the willingness to put yourself out there.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:21 AM

30,018 posts, read 35,115,221 times
Quote:
I haven't received a better offer. With that said, I have a relatively easy job, a good boss, and am paid fairly well by local standards. My job prior to this seemed like a great match on paper - once I got there, it was hellish. With things going relatively well, I don't want to upset the apple cart. Having a boss you like

If I could get 50% more in Raleigh, I'd move. I'm not moving for a 10% raise. I frequently get recruiters from where I used to live in Iowa reaching out to me. This area isn't perfect, but overall, I'd rather live here than Iowa.
Raleigh is not as inexpensive as it use to be. Housing on the RTP side is pricey. Tech recruiting is more of a challenge because of cost.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 AM

24,136 posts, read 17,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Raleigh is not as inexpensive as it use to be. Housing on the RTP side is pricey. Tech recruiting is more of a challenge because of cost.
I had been looking at both Raleigh and Charlotte. I like Raleigh better as a city. Charlotte seems slightly less expensive and is in a better location.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM

30,018 posts, read 35,115,221 times
Quote:
I had been looking at both Raleigh and Charlotte. I like Raleigh better as a city. Charlotte seems slightly less expensive and is in a better location.
Yes, Raleigh depending on a persons skill level is not always a good move. Northern Virginia is very expensive and there is a strong need for Software Engineers with the right credentials.
How capable are you of getting a security clearance? That is your best first step to go down that path and progress from there.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 6,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, but you can drive 60 miles from Yucaipa and be in one of the most prosperous job markets on the planet. It's not much of a move. From eastern Tennessee, prosperity is much farther away.

At my 40th high school reunion a few years ago, pretty much all of the top-10% of my graduating class who went to good colleges had lived their whole adult live elsewhere. A few of us had summer homes because it's a nice coastal town but people with any kind of career objectives move.
I moved 3000 miles away too. I knew nobody then. But I was young, 22. One of my kids moved to the Bay Area for jobs, she knew nobody there either, had she stayed in my area, she wouldn’t have the same kind of opportunities.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:48 PM

20,206 posts, read 14,397,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Years ago I moved cross country with no job and knew no one at the time. I didn't let that stop me; I was ready for change. If you're tenacious and resourceful and willing to be a go-getter you can accomplish a lot.

Good for you. It's sad really that more people aren't like you. Sometimes that's exactly what people need to do, but the vast majority of Americans are just way too timid or too weak to step outside their comfort zone.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:08 PM

7,595 posts, read 8,800,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good for you. It's sad really that more people aren't like you. Sometimes that's exactly what people need to do, but the vast majority of Americans are just way too timid or too weak to step outside their comfort zone.
It's probably harder for those who have close family and ties to an area.

But back to the topic. I know there are folks who enter retirement with little or even no savings; if it can at all be helped it's really best to have a financial cushion in addition to whatever SS is expected.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM

20,206 posts, read 14,397,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The 401K was a shift away from pensions as workers didn't view their jobs as 30 year career jobs.
That's not even remotely true.

The union pension plans were Ponzi-schemes. That's why they ended. The MAFIA controlled the unions. Obviously your oblivious to all the murders of union bosses because of their relationships to the MAFIA.

MAFIA accountants set up the union pension plans to launder mob money.

That's why in 1946 when the first health insurance company was created, the MAFIA through the unions fought so hard to gain control of the healthcare plans, because that was another vehicle the MAFIA could use to launder money.

And, they did gain control in 1949 with the Supreme Court's In Re: Inland Steel decision.

You can read the cases under 18 USC § 1962 (RICO Act) both civil and criminal (that statute provides for a civil action) filed by the FBI against the unions.

Even the non-union pension plans were Ponzi-schemes. They were predicated on an ever-increasing number of workers to fund the pension. By the 1970s, it was quite obvious that was no longer possible due to technology and other changes, plus the changing landscape as companies merged, or were acquired or bought out.

Like NCR. From 3,000 employees to 30,000 employees then it peaked: Game Over. As long as they're growing and adding employees the Ponzi-scheme works. Then NCR got bought out by AT&T and the pension plan was dumped and then it was handed over to Lucent Technologies, and then it got spun off.

The 1980s and early 1990s was the age of leveraged buy-outs. You had KRKravitz buying up companies, dismantling them and selling off the assets, leaving Millions unemployed, so it's not like people chose to get a new job, they were forced to get a new job out of necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or