U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,473 posts, read 3,225,535 times
Reputation: 8427

Advertisements

Whatís your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2019, 06:05 AM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
4,018 posts, read 2,940,215 times
Reputation: 6510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I could not have said this any better!
City-Data getting pretty stagnant of late.
There are endless threads on SS strategy, annuities, stocks versus safer but likely lower return investments, whether or not to have a mortgage in retirement, how much is enough to retire on, etc. It's rare to see something in this forum that is truly new and different other than people asking for advice on their particular situation. C-D has been stagnant for years; that's one reason I have some big gaps in my posting history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:12 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
18,026 posts, read 18,396,887 times
Reputation: 11549
Many people are happy working to be honest. Retirement sounds boring to a lot of people. Being busy sounds better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,860 posts, read 55,193,200 times
Reputation: 67658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I know a few with no savings and are clueless about how they will live in retirement. They basically plan to continue as is until their hand is forced, then they will worry about it then. I have no idea why that should come as a surprise to anyone, since a large percentage of the population goes through life exactly in that mode, 27/7/365.
At least the ones who live where there are 27-hour days.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,860 posts, read 55,193,200 times
Reputation: 67658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Many people are happy working to be honest. Retirement sounds boring to a lot of people. Being busy sounds better.
This doesn't make sense. Retired doesn't mean bored or not busy. Although, I guess it could for people who don't have any imagination or a life outside of their work. There are those types.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,931 posts, read 5,045,496 times
Reputation: 17580
I don't think much about those other people with no savings.

They made their choices in life and so did I.

We'll both live with the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:42 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
There are endless threads on SS strategy, annuities, stocks versus safer but likely lower return investments, whether or not to have a mortgage in retirement, how much is enough to retire on, etc. It's rare to see something in this forum that is truly new and different other than people asking for advice on their particular situation. C-D has been stagnant for years; that's one reason I have some big gaps in my posting history.
Not just CD. On every forum Iíve read or participated, itís get staled after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:44 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I don't think much about those other people with no savings.

They made their choices in life and so did I.

We'll both live with the consequences.
Plus I think itís their retirement they need to worry about it, why should I. I had my own retirement to deal with. If they donít worry about their own retirement, what business of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
8,101 posts, read 4,955,028 times
Reputation: 29596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am really amazed at the people who think it isn't a problem because people in their social circle don't have that problem. I have been out with Brown Bag group handing out sack lunches to the homeless; a *lot* of them are boomers. Most people I know personally are doing fine but a lot of that is because it's neighbors who can afford similar houses, people that work in similar jobs and while I do know a few in my SUP paddling group that could be doing better, they are mostly young. But as mentioned, I do have some exposure to those doing very poorly and I do believe the statistics on wealth and income. I am certainly not gong to pretend there is no problem.
I believe it's a problem. But it's not MY problem.

I pay taxes, a lot of taxes. I pay an appallingly high amount in Medicare premiums and penalties for "health insurance" I have still not been able to use a year after I signed up. Essentially I have no health insurance and have to pay retail prices for care and tests. Now SSA is threatening to impose a late enrollment penalty on Part D (in addition to the IRMAA penalty) because somebody got a date wrong.

I can't take on the weight of the entire world because I can barely manage the weight of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:41 AM
 
2,490 posts, read 638,796 times
Reputation: 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Whatís your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I know several boomers with no savings, no home equity, nothing but their monthly social security check to live on.
What's YOUR point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top