U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

571 posts, read 325,019 times

Advertisements

Hit the little red button every time you realize they called from a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,005,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni78 View Post
Iím on the other side of that. Not yet retired with elderly folks. Travel for work. Calling while driving allows me to talk to them with no interruptions. I wear earphones while talking to help with background noise. Itís the best I can do for now. And at this point, itís not really conversation but listening to a rehashing of every story or complaint that Iíve already heard ad nauseum.

I just want to hear their voices. Not much new happens here, or not much that they were interested in (I have a happy life) and they are past the point of wanting my advice.... or needing my money. Also, their generation doesn't really talk on the phone anymore. So I quit trying.

we keep up on the computer.

I was pretty busy. I worked, kept house, and raised them. I still had time to talk to people.

I don't like to talk to anyone when they are driving.

someone has probably said all this. I quit reading when this child posted. Ad nauseum indeed

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,263,407 times
Im definitely a car talker. I have a couple of friends that I will catch up with while driving; I can not stand sitting at home talking on the phone. Hate it. If Im sitting at home, Im either on the computer or watching TV. I dont want to talk on the phone while doing either. Much easier for me to catch up while Im driving. No one seems to have a problem with it, and they will call me the same way. The only way I can imagine sitting at home talking on the phone is if Ive lost electric and theres nothing to do but wait.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,596,449 times
I had a friend who would only call while doing dishes or cooking. Another only while waiting at the car wash.

I'd like to say it didn't bother me, but it did. Long in the past now. Phone-talking has fallen by the wayside now. Even between Boomers, according to my siblings.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

6,709 posts, read 4,189,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I had a friend who would only call while doing dishes or cooking. Another only while waiting at the car wash.

I'd like to say it didn't bother me, but it did. Long in the past now. Phone-talking has fallen by the wayside now. Even between Boomers, according to my siblings.
A couple of questions for you and others.

What, if anything, do you find acceptable for people to be doing when they call you?

What, if anything, do you do when you are talking on the phone?

I ask because the idea that people should not call each other unless they literally are not doing anything else, they are just sitting on the couch staring at the wall, is peculiar to me. There is never a time when I am not doing something else. If I'm at home sitting, I am reading or watching TV or on the computer or eating or playing a game with my kids. If I'm standing up, I'm doing chores or cooking or exercising or taking a shower or going for a walk. If I'm lying down, I'm sleeping. When is this time when I'm not doing anything when am I supposed to call people?

For the record--I do believe that talking on the phone, even hands-free (which is the only way it's legal in my state) is distracting and a bad idea.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

8,207 posts, read 8,699,532 times
There's an echo when you speak to someone while hands-free driving and also a lag. You tend to talk over each other not knowing if that person finished the sentence. I would not dare to discuss something serious while driving or the other speaker was driving. That is a big distraction and you can't concentrate on everything.

When I was a young parent, I would save a mundane chore to complete while checking in with my mom. Parents of young children are busy and need to multi-task if they want to get any sleep that night. Talking on the phone while driving was not common in those days, but even if I did have a "car phone," I don't think I would have used to it to have any long conversations.

Nowadays, there's face time and skype. I appreciate speaking to my kid and getting to see the newest purchase or new addition to the house. If there's some sort of document for me to look at, there's screen share. Since it's my own kid, i don't care how I'm dressed or how I look. A short conversation while driving is fine, as long as it is not about anything too serious.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

17,514 posts, read 21,380,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Talking to you for 30 minutes is below their list of priorities which include Instagram, SnapChat, the Kardashians, and The Bachelor.
To many, it would be considered child abuse to force them to set apart 30 minutes to talk to you, in a comfy sofa chair.

I so hate phones, I keep mine turned off 24 hours a day, and if I see the red light blinking, only then will I respond to it. And if someone texts me I will not reply to the text, because I still only have a flip-up phone and it takes forever to reply to a text.

And emails? I check them only once a month now!

I have a friend that calls me, and she puts on Speakerphone, and sometimes I can hard hear her with all the background noise.

I'm so distanced from high tech, what on earth is Instagram or Snapchat!!! By being ignorant of this, will I die sooner?

Last edited by Tallysmom; Today at 07:48 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,005,005 times
You all made me remember that I bought my first cordless phone when my daughter got out of the marines and moved to her husband's home across the country. She was so lonesome. We talked every morning and I cleaned house while we talked. We watched the Today show together. We were on the phone when nine eleven happened. I remember my sinking stomach when I realized how far away she was.

I wonder if she remembers that now that the balance has shifted.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

58 posts, read 20,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
Does your kid only call you when they are driving somewhere because they are so ďbusyĒ?

Does it irritate you? (I have ADD and the noise is very distracting.)

Does it matter to your kid that it bothers you? (It apparently doesnít bother mine.)

Is it so hard to take a half hour out of their week to talk?
(We live across the country from each other.)

</rant>
ADD is a made-up disease.

The economics of modern medicine require that heathy people become patients.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

12,092 posts, read 7,428,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Some people get irritated about multi-tasking, as if it means they're not important to you. My dad was one of them. If he sensed you were doing anything else on the other side of the line than sitting motionless and talking to him, he would pause and ask if you were busy and would rather talk some other time.

NO, I wouldn't. I don't talk on the phone in the car, but otherwise the perfect time to talk is when I'm engaged in some mundane tasks like making dinner, feeding our pets, or taking a walk. If I have nothing else to do while on the phone, I'll be pacing in circles around the house--the one thing I will not be doing is sitting in a chair. That doesn't mean I don't want to talk. I enjoy talking. But if someone tells me that unless I carve out 30 minutes to do absolutely nothing but talk without moving then not to bother--well, I'm not going to be talking to them, on the phone or in person.

I don't think this is an old person vs. young person thing (I'm 50, definitely not young) but just a personality clash. Years ago, my new mother-in-law decided that I was "unsocial" because I preferred getting up and washing the dishes after dinner to staying in my chair at the table chatting for an hour. She'd say, "Just leave the dishes, sit down and let's talk!" and I would feel like I was going out of my mind sitting there. I took up knitting, and that helped, but a lot of people still assume that if I'm knitting I'm being rude by not really paying attention to the conversation--which is not the case.
I love this post.

There was a thread in Psychology recently about an article that states that no one can really actually multi-task, that you're actually interrupting one task and attending to another, and any human brain is only able to actually focus on one thing at a time.

BALDERDASH I say. I got so fussy seeing that, I couldn't even respond on the thread.

You and I, we understand. When I was in school, I got in a lot of trouble for drawing in class. The teachers were just so damn sure that I was not paying attention to them. In fact, I was absorbing every word, IF they let me be engaged in drawing. I believe this is related to learning styles...I've heard something about visual, auditory, and kinetic learners. I am not an auditory learner. If I was to sit there staring at the teacher, my brain would start to shut down and I'd fall asleep. Check right out. I couldn't do it. But let me occupy my hands and eyes with some kind of busy work (knitting would have worked, too) and it keeps the mind firing on all cylinders, able to take in and remember the lecture just fine! As proven by my perfect test scores.

It drives me crazy how other people want to tell me they know better how my brain works than I do, and for every supposedly scientific article saying this, I can find one that says THAT, so we can all cite sources 'till the cows come home. Ugh.

For those saying that talking on the phone while driving is "distracted" driving, OK how about music? Do you drive in complete silence? How about holding a conversation with a passenger? Do you demand everyone ride in your car in complete silence? I sure don't. And frankly if my brain is not stimulated...and sometimes driving is very boring...then I do find it wandering, or getting drowsy. Sometimes re-engaging it via a phone conversation is just the thing to keep me alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or